Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Lobbying parliament: Annual day to dishonour UK veterans.
Good post George, will do! Is this Vets parade on June 27th starting this year? You know what this Government is like 'bread today jam tomorrow'

Thanks John, I think it will be launched this year, 27 June 2006 is the 150th anniversary of the VC. .

The Queen was given a number of dates in June on which to hold Veterans' Day.
A source said that June 27 was considered suitable because it fell on the day after the anniversary of the first investiture of the Victoria Cross in Hyde Park in 1857."

Which to my reckoning George, will be 2007 if the 150th is to be celebrated, could be wrong. Who is going to present these I wonder as I just want to receive mine in the post when I'm eligible

This is the sort of POSITIVE replies we are lookin for, compared to the previous one.

>

George, as you say, this is precisely the sort of positive support we need to attract. All it needs is just one PJM'er in each constituency to get the message through to his or her MP.

Politics is a dirty game but we veterans have been sh*t on from a great height, its time to throw some crap back. Would you not agree, so long as you keep the crap you throw is squeaky clean crap.

Can't say better than that, George!

George F wrote:

Politics is a dirty game but we veterans have been sh*t on from a great height, its time to throw some crap back. Would you not agree, so long as you keep the crap you throw is squeaky clean crap.

Can't say better than that, George!

Plato:
"The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."

Happy to note the remarkable lack of apathy on this site!
'Jock'

Another positive reply.

George,

If he hadn't supported you I'd have got in my car and driven down the road to have a word in his shell-like. He's my MP!

And he's been brilliant all along. I'm working on a major submission which I hope he will find suitable to put before the Minister and other MPs.

Barry

Post Lobbying 
First to Jock. No need to apologise for plagiarising anything I submit to this group, old buddy. The more we do, the more powerful is our campaign.
Secondly, a labour MP raised the question as to applying for the PJM, in the House this week. I have seized upon her apparent interest in the subject and sent her the attached epistle. On the subject of getting around the "not of their constituency issue", I stuck the address of this site as my home address. The system accepted it and so hopefully she will not only get my email, but she will also get a link to this site.
Dear Ms Creagh
As someone who has raised the subject of the PJM in the House this week, I would like to ask you to extend your enquiries further to ascertain why the HD Committee can advise Her Majesty to refuse permission to her loyal British Veterans to be allowed to wear this medal, when the Austrlian and New Zealand equivalent bodies advised Her to sanction unreserved acceptance of the award. Coming at a time when Gordon Brown as announced a National Veteran's Day, the aim of which is to honour our veterans, the refusal to allow the wearing of the medal is a gross dishonour to the veterans who served in the jungle during the Malaya/Borneo conflicts. It is said that veterans will be awarded medals at local events on this special day. What medals? This smacks of electioneering on the backs of ill-served veterans.
Regards
Gerald Law (ex RAF Borneo veteran)

Post National Veteran's Day 
I have sent another email to my MP, as attached. I have ramped up the emotion in the message just a tad in case she is in any doubt as to the strength of feelings.
Dear Mrs Moffatt
Having seen Mr Gordon Brown announce on TV that HMG will be having an "Annual day to honour UK veterans", I ask, how can Malaya Borneo Veterans attend this occasion on 27 June, since HMG have already refused us permission to wear our Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medals at any **FORMAL** occasion like the "Annual day to honour UK veterans"?

A Ministerial Statement on 31 January stated: " Permission to wear the PJM will not, however, **FORMALLY** be given. UK Foreign Decorations Principle No 1 states: "No UK citizen may accept and wear a foreign award without the Sovereign's permission" Surely all MPs must agree this meanspirted decision by HMG on 35,000 British citizens must be rectified, so that veterans are allowed to wear their PJM medals UNRESTRICTED, otherwise the 27 June will be an "Annual day to dishonour UK veterans" by HMG? Mr Brown apparently intends that at a series of local events to be held on this day, for veterans to be awarded medals. He does not say what medals they might be. Having established the precedent that the Malaya/Borneo veterans are not worthy of wearing the medal bestowed upon them by a grateful Malaysian people, it beggars belief as to what these medals might be. As HMG seems hellbent on categorising the PJM as a mere trinket, one assumes that worthless bits of bling will be distributed to the loyal veterans. There is a smell of patronising political spin in the air. What will you politicians not do to gain votes? First you trample over the honour of ageing veterans, and then you offer some sort of largesse in the form of a National Veteran's Day. Madam, your government colleagues have behaved dishonourably and in a spirit of meanness that would have made Ebenezer Scrooge wilt. I implore you to persuade this government to act swiftly to correct the disgusting error perpetrated upon 35 000 loyal ex servicmen and women across the land

Yours sincerely
Gerald Law
Malaya Borneo Veteran

You guys are a pair of BEAUTIES!!
...Almost makes me wish I was still resident in the UK so that I'd have an MP to plague in similar fashion...
Well done anyway!.....'Jock'

I have tried that George, trust me!...with minimal effect, I'm sorry to relate.
...however, being a devious sort of person by nature, I'm 'trying another tack' nowadays...I'm 'ghost writing' appropriate text which I e-mail to all of my UK friends and associates to copy and, in turn, send to THEIR MP's as their own letter...
Whatever works eh?
'Jock'

Word of warning to those who lobby MP's who are not your constuiency MP. You have to be one step ahead of them all the time.

If Mr Berry does not wish to support the Malaya Borneo veterans we will put his name on our no list. Would you kindly ask him does he wishes to support us or not?

End of Quote.

I would suggest an amendment to this, as follows.

"Should there not be an answer to this email stating that this MP is a supporter of the right of all PJM veterans to wear their medal with pride, then it will be taken by me, that this MP is against such a right being given.

Accordingly this MP will be listed in this Forum as not supporting the right of PJM Veterns to wear this medal."

More than likely, this Forum will be open to all to see when the next Parliamentary Elections take place and we endeavour to publicise this Form to the very best of our abilities.

If this MP is in favour of all PJM veterans wearing their medals, unrestrricted, then the MP will appear on this Forum as a supporter."

Or words to this effect........

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1