Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
BritishMalaysian Society
Post BritishMalaysian Society 
Attached is an aemail that I have just sent to the BritishMalaysian Society.
Ladies and Gentlemen
I accept that this is probably outside of the normal remit of your society, but I feel that it must be said. The Malaysian Government has announced that it wishes to award the PJM to all Commonwealth veterans who served in the Malaya Emergency/Bormeo Confrontation. The Australian and New Zealand Governments have accepted this most generous offer without restriction but HMG in UK have announced that while they sanction the award to British veterans, they will not permit it to be worn formally.
This is a gross insult to the veterans, but worse, it is an unnecessary snub to the Agong, the Government and the people of Malaysia. During my tour in Borneo I found the Malaysian people to be friendly and courteous, and at Christmas 1965 a family local to the forward base at which I was serving, treated us to a meal that must have stretched their meagre supplies. But they were keen to show their appreciation for the work we were doing to protect their fledgling State.
A group of veterans has set up a web site to co-ordinate efforts to shame HMG into reversing their iniquitous decision. It can be found at www.fight4thePJM.org.
I know that I speak for most, if not all, of my fellow veterans, as well as many decent British people when I offer my heartfelt apologies for the discourtesy extended to our friends in Malaysia. Please pass on these sentiments to all of your members.
Regards
Gerald Law (ex RAF Borneo Veteran)s a copy of an email that I have just sent to this Society.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1