Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Welcome to new cabinet ministers.
Post Welcome to new Cabinet Ministers... 
As my little contribution to the 'Welcome Wagon' I have today, submitted the following:

Sent to: Des Browne
With modified copies to: Tom Watson / Adam Ingram & Ms M. Beckett.

Pingat Jasa Malaysia

May 12 2006

Dear Mr Browne,

This letter is the latest of a great many that I have written, on this topic, over the past several months.

I am writing to you, posing a few pertinent questions prompted by the language governing the denial of 'formal permission to wear' this honour...Well, I consider them pertinent, but concise answers have not, as yet, been forthcoming, despite persistent effort on my part to elicit them.

The decision to permit acceptance, but refusing formal permission to wear, trivialises this honour and relegates it to the status of 'trinket'. My correspondents in Malaya advise me that they perceive the ruling as offensive, insulting and reminiscent of the 'Colonial' attitudes of bygone days. Given the fact that Malaysia is perhaps the only pro-Western Islamic state on this entire planet, it is difficult for me to comprehend the rationale underlying such myopic insensitivity.
..........My question is: Why would HMG wish to gratuitously offend a friendly, Commonwealth nation thusly? Especially as both, the 49th Anniversary of Merdeka (Malaysian Independence) and the 40th Anniversary of the end of Confrontation, are imminent .

The decision also denigrates the service of approximately 35000 loyal UK veterans, who were not found wanting when presented with a difficult and dangerous task and who ultimately triumphed, in that particularly inhospitable jungle environment, 7000 miles from their home.
..........My question is: Why would HMG wish to so do, especially in this, the inaugural year of the much publicized 'Veterans Day' ?

My Troop Corporal, a close comrade, has since 5 February 1960, lain in plot 1275, row 33, at Cheras Road Christian Cemetery, Kuala Lumpur. The PJM decision demeans his sacrifice and that of 518 other comrades-in-arms who also gave their very lives to this struggle.
.........My question is: Why would HMG wish to so do? The wearing, by septuagenarians, of this medal on Remembrance Day would offend no one. It's wear would not merely denote overt recognition of the service that we veterans gave to Malaysia. It would also provide a visual reminder to those who might forget, and indeed to those not yet aware, of the sacrifices made.

My understanding is that the language is not yet 'etched in granite' and that modification is within the purview of the FCO. That being the case, I respectfully request that you consider my questions and in lieu of answering them, that you direct the influence intrinsic to your Cabinet position towards having the HD committee review its inexplicably insensitive decision and permit 'unrestricted' acceptance of the PJM.

Sincerely.

John 'Jock' Fenton
(ex Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division)

To ignore your letter would show rudeness on a scale hitherto unreached!

Bob Bryant

Breathtaking stuff Jock..excellent.

Bob Bryant

Standby for a show of rudeness on a scale hitherto unreached!

Some might think me a trifle cynical.

Post Re:Welcome to new Cabinet Ministers... 
Quote:
bob_bryant wrote:
Breathtaking stuff Jock..excellent.

Bob Bryant

Standby for a show of rudeness on a scale hitherto unreached!

Some might think me a trifle cynical.

You could be right Iceni and I am 'standing by'....Of course to be fair, I'm sure that 'they' will choose to regard my letters as nothing but the mitherings of an argumentative, polemic writer, rather than those of an intellectually honest critic...one thing I know for sure...I'm not engaged in trying to sweep my mistakes, out of sight, behind an 80 year old monarch's skirts!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1