Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Photograph of 4 medals Aussies award their RAN veterans.
Post Aussie veterans Pension 
George the Poms may be stingy but the Aussies are quite generous. Much to my surprise I discovered that as a Borneo Veteran British Service personnel are entitled to a veterans pension when they turn 60 and if married also your wife, providing she is over 50. In effect it means that veterans are entitled to the Government Aged pension from aged 60 instead of 65. If I have no other income when I turn 60 my wife and I will be entitled to an index linked pension. The married rate is currently about Aussie dollars 22,000 pa. This generosity on the Aussies part is extended to British Servicemen who served on active service before about 1971 in the same area of operations that Aussies served. If my income precludes me from having a pension I am still entitled to a health care card so I have cheap medication and concessions on utility bills providing my income is under $80,000 per annum. I can't remember what I got paid as a trooper in Borneo somewhere between 5 and ten quid a week so I reckon I am getting a good deal. What do you reckon?

Hamish

The last medal is not one that was awarded and should not have been racked up with those awarded.

There are literally thousands of Vets in Australia wearing such medals in order to enhance the appearance of their rack. We call them 'Wannabees'.

The owner of those medals will soon be awarded the PJM and the Australian Defence Medal, giving him a total of 5 legitimate ones.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1