Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
groundswell of opinion
Post groundswell of opinion 
That un-elected group of swill, the HD committee, has seriously underestimated the backlash that their decision has caused. Today I spoke with a close friend and former work colleague here in Australia who originates from Penang. She mentioned that the behaviour of the UK government in regards to the PJM is becoming widely known in Malaysia and people are asking why the UK government will not accept the PJM offer on the same terms as the Australians and New Zealanders. Some Malaysians are comparing it to the old colonial masters attitude and are bewildered why such a generous offer, that the Malaysian people are paying for should be treated with contempt.
It is clear from the huge support that is gathering in the UK and abroad that this matter is not going to go away and in fact may result in public service career and political caualties. Let the HD committee put this injustice right and then disband the morons.

Ivor Rich ex RN Malay/Borneo veteran 63/65

Post Re: groundswell of opinion 
IvorJ wrote:
That un-elected group of swill, the HD committee, has seriously underestimated the backlash that their decision has caused. Today I spoke with a close friend and former work colleague here in Australia who originates from Penang. She mentioned that the behaviour of the UK government in regards to the PJM is becoming widely known in Malaysia and people are asking why the UK government will not accept the PJM offer on the same terms as the Australians and New Zealanders. Some Malaysians are comparing it to the old colonial masters attitude and are bewildered why such a generous offer, that the Malaysian people are paying for should be treated with contempt.
It is clear from the huge support that is gathering in the UK and abroad that this matter is not going to go away and in fact may result in public service career and political caualties. Let the HD committee put this injustice right and then disband the morons.

Ivor Rich ex RN Malay/Borneo veteran 63/65

Hi Ivor!

That is really good info to have...tell us...could your friend in Penang provide us with appropriate e-mail/snail mail addy's of the major Malay newspapers, 'Letters to the Editor' section...if we had them, we could perhaps acquaint the Malaysian population of our gratitude for their generosity in offering us the PJM...assuring them that our attitude as vet's is entirely different from that of the HD...(and in the process 'stir it up a bit')....Whaddya think?
'Jock'

Yes I am all for stirring it up, these tw@ts called 'officialdom' have crossed the line drawn in the sand, don't ever let one of them be in my prescence Evil or Very Mad

[quote="'Jock' Fenton"]
IvorJ wrote:

That is really good info to have...tell us...could your friend in Penang provide us with appropriate e-mail/snail mail addy's of the major Malay newspapers, 'Letters to the Editor' section...if we had them, we could perhaps acquaint the Malaysian population of our gratitude for their generosity in offering us the PJM...assuring them that our attitude as vet's is entirely different from that of the HD...(and in the process 'stir it up a bit')....Whaddya think?
'Jock'

G'day,

Try looking at this page. But see below, what I have managed to get about these newspapers.

http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/malaysia.htm

The Daily Express Sabah. (North Borneo)

Feed back Form.

http://www.dailyexpress.com.my/feedback_form.cfm

The Malaysian Today.

Letters to The Editor

editor@malaysiantoday.com.my

The New Straits Times.

Letters to the Editor Net version

mailed@nstp.com.my

Letters to The Editor Print Version.

letters@nstp.com.my

The Star. One of the largest papaers in Malaysia.

No email address in Malaysia, I don’t know why, but here is the email address of their London Correspondent.

London

26A Randolph Avenue
London W9 1BL
United Kingdom
Tel & Fax. 44 (0207) 286 9577
Mobile: 44-077-6588-4873 E-Mail: twchoi@thestar.com.my
Editor, European Union Bureau (based in London): Choi Tuck Wo

The Malay Mail

GROUP EDITOR, NSTSB:
BRENDAN PEREIRA

bren@nst.com.my

...and my apologies to all for being so dim as to actually ask the question (blush)...The regrettable side effect of going on-line too early in the morning I'm afraid...Only being possesed of the IQ of a houseplant at the best of times, I'm subject to this type of 'brain-fart' before I ingest my second cup of coffee.

No matter....I'm off to compose a 'letter to the Editor'...What can I lose?

Regards...

Jock'

As promised...I have e-mailed the following to the Editors of the following:
The Malay Mail
The Star
The New Straits Times
The Malaysian Today

Dear Sir,

As your readers will be aware, the Pingat Jasa Malayasia is an honour which the Government of Malaysia wishes to award to eligible Commonwealth citizens, for their service in Malaysia between 31 August 1957 and 12 August 1966. The governments of Australia and New Zealand have already unconditionally approved both acceptance and wearing of this award by their nationals.
The UK Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals (the official, but un-elected, Committee which advises Her Majesty the Queen on matters of honours policy) has recommended that an exception to two of its rules governing the accepting and wearing of foreign (including Commonwealth) awards be made, to enable the Malaysian Government to present the PJM. This committee, paradoxically, then recommends that those same two rules be invoked to deny British veterans 'formal permission' to wear that medal.

This lukewarm acceptance of such an honour appears to denigrate the loyalty and service of British veterans. In addition, it belittles the sacrifice made by 519 of my comrades, who lost their lives, during the course of the 'Emergency'. Simultaneously, it would seem to offer gratuitous insult to the Agong, Government and peoples of Malaysia, who tried, most graciously, by the offer of this medal, to express sincere gratitude to all Commonwealth personnel, in recognition of their "distinguished chivalry, gallantry, sacrifice and loyalty to the freedom of independence of Malaysia."

This letter is intended to provide assurance that as a loyal British veteran, who actually served in your country, I do NOT share the attitude expressed by the UK Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals. In fact, I have nothing but sincere and grateful appreciation for Malaysia's recognition of my service.

My desire is to wear your PJM with the justifiable pride that it so richly deserves.

Further similar opinions may be readily accessed at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/

Sincerely,

John 'Jock' Fenton (ex 17th Gurkha Division, Malaya '58 - '59)

Well said Jock, that indeed is a five star letter!

Post Letter to Malaysian press 
A gret letter Jock. It needed to be said.
Hamish

IvorJ wrote:
That un-elected group of swill, the HD committee, has seriously underestimated the backlash that their decision has caused. . . . Some Malaysians are comparing it to the old colonial masters attitude and are bewildered why such a generous offer, that the Malaysian people are paying for should be treated with contempt.

Ivor, The ground swell over the ground swill is indeed gathering pace. We are being inundated with messages of support. I don't think HMG understands the size of the metaphorical Exocet heading in their direction, launched by their very own HD Committee.

My Malaysian friends also have expressed deep concern over the attitude of the British. Before the January Ministerial Statement I wrote to the HD Committee and others about the newspaper report that suggested the Malaysians were going to withdraw the medal from the British altogether because they understood that the HD Committee’s recommendation was likely to emerge as a meaningless keepsake award that would insult the King and People of Malaysia.

I was told by my Malaysian contacts that there was no truth in that rumour. The Malaysians were offering the medal to those who served them in those difficult times, not to the British Government (none of whom have ever ‘served’, nor to the HD Committee (all of whom are unelected). The Malaysians were honouring us - men and women who did the business out there.

Interestingly, they were aware at outset that the old, colonial, privileged attitude of the British hierarchy might prevail and they were cautious about offering the medal at all. They anticipated a snub and were appalled when it was duly delivered after a year of squirming prevarication by the British establishment. But this was an award for Commonwealth men and women, not just the British, and the Malaysians knew the reaction from Australia and New Zealand would be more enlightened, more understanding, more courteous.

The graciousness of the Malaysians is humbling. Their attitude is uplifting.

I find myself saying more often these days that at times I am ashamed to be British.

Post Jock's Letter 
Another great letter, Jock. My Malaysian friends, who are still reeling and very angry over this PJM decision, visit this web site and they will read your words. I think they will find some comfort in them.

I'll publish it on the main web site if that's OK, and I'll let people know when that has been done.

If the decision by the HD committee is not overturned by Remembrance Day may I suggest that as a snub to the UK Govt that we all attend a local parade and wear with pride our PJM on our left breast.

I vow to be there! Very Happy

Post 27th June - Veteran's Day 
John Cooper wrote:
If the decision by the HD committee is not overturned by Remembrance Day may I suggest that as a snub to the UK Govt that we all attend a local parade and wear with pride our PJM on our left breast.

27th June sounds good as well. Gordon's "Veteran's Day". I shall make a protest on that day and I'm working on what would be most effective. Anybody got any suggestions? Something new, rather than 'blue', would be good.

What a superb letter. It states everything that needed to be said, and I'm pleased that our Friends in Malaysia are being given the depth of feeling among those who matter in this country - the veterans. Some of my colleagues have begun to take an interest and one has promised a letter to their MP this week. I am trying to see how I can make our point at Brown's National Veteran's Day shindig in June. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll do something. We might need to organise something on a regional level - like flying pickets dashing between events within a given region.
Gerald

I am trying to see how I can make our point at Brown's National Veteran's Day shindig in June. Not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll do something. We might need to organise something on a regional level - like flying pickets dashing between events within a given region.
Gerald

Gerry...makes me quite jealous that I'll miss all the frontline fun of that day...Guess I'll have to content myself with cheering from the sidelines, so to speak...(my 'sideline' being 3000 miles away from the action!)...You must all do whatever you can to engender some media attention...even if you have to 'phone the local paper to attend the march and even submit the written story yourself...reporters are lazy blighters and they love to have 'a ready made one' handed to them...Should you actually get a report printed, then you can follow up with enraged 'Letters to the Editor'...doesn't matter if half of them are ghost written...all grist to the mill.

Stick it to 'em boys!!

'Jock'

I vow to be there! Very Happy

I wrote this 5 days after this forum was set up by Barry, we are still here but in much larger numbers, we are nearly 9 months down the line from when this was posted, we are still waiting. WHY? Because The Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse fouled up big time. The bible informs us in The Book of Revelation that the four are named Pestilence, War, Famine and Death

Pestilence >>>Fatal Epidemic Disease that has spread like a cancerous growth throughout HMG

War>>>>>>>Well they have certainly picked on the wrong 35000 bods!

Famine>>>>>Extreme Scarcity of Information

Death>>>>>>Ceasing to Be, by the end of November

What can the other 4 names of The HD Committee possibly be?
Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next