Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Burka Ban/Medal Ban.
Post Burka Ban/Medal Ban. 
In The Telegraph newspaper to-day, Sunday, 18th July, 2010, the Political Editor, Patrick Hennessy, published an article under the banner of BURKA BAN RULED OUT BY IMMIGRATION MINISTER.

In this article, the Immigration Minister in the present Coalition Government, Damian Green MP, said

‘I stand personally on the feeling that telling people what they can and can’t wear, if they’re just walking down the street, is a rather un-British thing to do. We’re a tolerant and mutually respectful society. There are times, clearly, when you’ve got to be able to identify yourself, and people have got to be able to see your face, but I think it very unlikely and it would be undesirable for the British Parliament to try and pass a law dictating what people wore’.

What utter hypocrisy. The British government allow a civil service quango to make rules and tamper with the royal prerogative to prevent British citizens only from wearing an honourable medal in public places.

The Pingat Jasa Malaysia (Service to Malaysia Award) was awarded by the Agong and government of Malaysia to all Commonwealth troops who fought in the jungles of Malaysia and Borneo from 1957 to 1966. Other Commonwealth countries, such a Australia and New Zealand permitted their eligible veterans to accept and wear this medal but the British government refused to allow British veterans to wear it. The British are the only country in the world to impose such a ban on its citizens. They say they have banned the wearing of this medal because of their rules on the acceptance and wear of foreign awards.

So why is there a wearing ban on some sections of British society, such as veterans who have fought and died for their country (relatives of those who have died are also banned from wearing the PJM), and not for other groups. We veterans are not anti-Muslim. If you look at the war memorial in the Lake Gardens, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, you will see that this predominantly Muslim country has commended all troops who fought for their freedom and independence with the words ‘May the Blessing of Allah be Upon Them’. We must be the only British veterans to have received such an accolade.

If I am not mistaken the British government has already placed a ban on what its citizens wore ‘whilst just walking down the street’. So Mr Damian Green MP, who appears to be a government spokesman, is guilty of sheer misrepresentation of the true facts simply to appease a certain group whilst he and his government punish another group, British veterans. His words that it is undesirable for the British Parliament to try and pass a law dictating what people can wear are totally incorrect and uttered to try and defend an indefensible system that already bans citizens from wearing a medal in public places, and the reason for this, simply because they are BRITISH. Is this is being tolerant and mutually respectful, I don't think so.

The PJM is much more than a medal given to just a few Brits. It is a diplomatic emblem from a grateful Malaysia (which happens to be a Muslim nation) to another Commonwealth nation and its service men and women. The PJM was in fact meant to thank the United Kingdom as a whole by having those entitled to wear it do so on public occasions with honour and pride.

By treating us who earned the PJM so shabbily over the years our Government also treats the whole of the UK and Malaysia with contempt.

To parody one of our National bards...."If this be error and upon me proved, I never served nor no man of us maltreated veterans ever died."

Last edited by MB on Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total

The relatives of those who died in Malaysia, particularly when no GSM was issued between 1960 and 1962, and of course, overflying aircraft, and RN personell afloat have only the PJM to remind them of their sacrifices are not of course entitled to the award of the Elizabeth Cross. Should the PJM holders be permitted to wear this honorable medal,
the relatives of those who died would surely then be entitled to the Elizabeth Cross.

This secret cabal has not only punished the cheeky lads of the F4 and NMBVA for their sauce in campaigning or supporting the case to wear the PJM, but have also punished the innocent victims, the relatives, by their civil service petulance, arrogance, and misconduct relating to this award.

D^

Post Burka Ban Medal Ban 
Good Morning Gentlemen
I have a meeting with my new M.P. for Winchester Mr Steve Bryne, in the next couple of weeks to bring to his attention...."Fight for the Right" and the "Armed Forces Pension Group", so have printed off these comments, to give him some bed time reading.....
Regards
Terry.

Well done mate, should you require any further info; just ask & it will be sent to you.
Paul

Post Re: Burka Ban Medal Ban 
revellt wrote:
Good Morning Gentlemen
I have a meeting with my new M.P. for Winchester Mr Steve Bryne, in the next couple of weeks to bring to his attention...."Fight for the Right" and the "Armed Forces Pension Group", so have printed off these comments, to give him some bed time reading.....
Regards
Terry.

Hi Terry, as an ex Bishops waltham resident you can add my name as another disaffected vet in your meeting with Mr Bryne. Wichester was the last place I voted in a general election, as an expat I donot have an mp of my own now.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1