Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC, DSC, RD and Bar: Deceased
Post Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC, DSC, RD and Bar: Deceased 
I was browsing and came across this obituary notice in the Times online obituaries.

A great man, and a staunch supporter of our cause. RIP.

Lieutenant-Commander Ian Fraser, VC, DSC, RD and Bar, wartime submariner, was born on December 18, 1920. He died on September 1, 2008, aged 87

Last edited by GLOman on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sorry to hear that we have lost a great supporter

RIP

Eagle-eyed as ever Gloman. Thank you for pointing that out. We also lost another great supporter of our cause some months ago. I refer to Brigadier Frank Coutts (give me a kick up the jacksey Mcdangle if my spelling is wrong) who I had the great priviledge of standing beside at a wonderful Merdeka celebration in Edinburgh in August 2007. I was a guest of the KOSBs and shall never forget it. Such men had not only the ability to command but also the "common touch" that made them so loved. They could easily have just pinned another gong on their row but they chose to stand in line with the rest of us. God bless them.

Many thanks for highlighting this very sad news. I did place a notice on the Fight4thePJM Home page. Ian Fraser VC was a staunch supporter of ours from day one of our campaign, and we were very honoured when he agreed to be joint patron together with Bill Speakman VC.

Barry

We also lost another great supporter of our cause some months ago. I refer to Brigadier Frank Coutts ...

Yes, Mike. Another staunch supporter. One day he sent me a surprise gift. It was a copy of his book "The Golden Thread", subtitled "Mair blethers from the Brig". He included an inscription to me in the context of the Fight4thePJM - words that made me feel honoured and very humble. I do not want to quote them here, but I know them by heart. A great man.

Barry

Eagle-eyed as ever Gloman. Thank you for pointing that out. We also lost another great supporter of our cause some months ago. I refer to Brigadier Frank Coutts (give me a kick up the jacksey Mcdangle if my spelling is wrong) who I had the great priviledge of standing beside at a wonderful Merdeka celebration in Edinburgh in August 2007. I was a guest of the KOSBs and shall never forget it. Such men had not only the ability to command but also the "common touch" that made them so loved. They could easily have just pinned another gong on their row but they chose to stand in line with the rest of us. God bless them.

Mike,

Brigadier Frank Coutts. He was the one who stood on your foot when we lined up for the photograph. As he was about 6'3" you were lucky it was just your foot. Yes, a great man and a great leader who had the respect of all. He was a Captain (KOSB) in Germany in April, 1945, when my brother-in-law was killed whilst serving with the same regiment. Andy.

As I have said, Andy, "That" day will be with me, and Kathy, for as long as I am spared to fight this long, long fight. It was the day I suddenly realised that I had actually done something worthwhile and my wife at last understood my whitterings over 40 years of listening tae 'em. Brigadier Coutts stood on my foot throughout the whole of that wonderful photo shoot, with the Malaysian Minister cheer-leader egging us on. The right toecap of my best and only pair of black shoes will never be the same again but I like to think it was of some use with regard to the Brig's posture at a critical moment. At one point, after someone in the rear ranks had shouted, "Bugis Street," and I responded with, "Batu Road," he leaned down and said in my ear....where exactly was that?" I didn't have time answer, but he still joined in the cheering that followed. A wonderful man. A wonderful day and I am proud to have had him standing on my foot.

Post Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC 
Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC.
Several times when operating in the Pengerrang area of Johore, to get there we would cross the Johore Straits ,eastish from Changi . During the trips across, I was alwas amazed,how these brave men in their mini subs, managed to make their way up the narrow stretch of water to where the Jap ship/s were anchored, which was closed the RN, Singapore Dockyard , with out being detected. Extraordinary brave men .
Roy.
Malay/sian Police Force.

Post Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC 
Maybe off topic.
On reading through this thread again, I notice that Bill Speakman VC, an other extraordinary brave man was mentioned . While researching about the little known deep jungle forts, I came across this photograph of 'Speakman's Hill ', Fort Brooke, my old fort.

Roy.
Malay/sian Police Force

Hardly "off topic", Roy, since we are celebrating and remembering brave men who have stood, and are still standing shoulder to shoulder with us in this already long-faught fight. I have (excuse the pun) followed your story and found it fascinating. The latest photo of Speakman Hill is, like so many of mine, taken with a fairly decent camera loaded with film that simply could not cope with the humidity....and therefore a touch fuzzy. Even so I found it very evocative. Thank you.

Strange coincidence, or what?.... for Bill Speakman VC to be mentioned on this forum at this time,….only last night Prince Charles introduce a programme on the TV called Victoria Cross,….. Bill was a very prominent feature on it but I felt very sad to learn that a few years ago it was necessary for him to sell his VC to raise funds for repairs to the roof of his house Sad Sad Sad

Post Re: Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC 
Follows wrote:
Maybe off topic.
On reading through this thread again, I notice that Bill Speakman VC, an other extraordinary brave man was mentioned . While researching about the little known deep jungle forts, I came across this photograph of 'Speakman's Hill ', Fort Brooke, my old fort.

Roy.
Malay/sian Police Force

Roy, Thanks for another highly evocative image. I am looking forward to reading your book about the forts - I am sure it will be of immense interest to many readers.

Barry

Post Lt. Cdr. Ian Fraser VC, etc 
I remember seeing the rusting settled on the bottom result of the handiwork that got both he and his diver Leading Seaman James Joseph Magennis their VCs.

As a young child, I was on the deck of the Orduna arriving in Singapore, and watched as we passed the remains of the Japanese heavy cruiser Takao. Water covered up to the level of the lower main gun turrets.

RIP to him and all the sung and unsung heros that have 'passed on'.

Post Leading Seaman Magennis VC 
As an old Royal Navy Ship's Diver, I was very proud to have been introduced to Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC., at HMS Dolphin. His remarkable story is made more so, by the revelation that, Leading Seaman Magennis, unable to attach his underwater explosive device, scraped the barnacles from the hull of the ship, to get a better attachement.

He knew full well that the noise would sign his death warrant, but he still went ahead and did his duty.

It makes me humble to have met such brave individuals, who I could never hope to emulate.

RIP Lt Cdr Fraser VC. You, and Leading Seaman Magennis, were remarkable men.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

As an old Royal Navy Ship's Diver, I was very proud to have been introduced to Lt Cdr Ian Fraser VC., at HMS Dolphin.

Arthur,

We have just heard of the death of another ex-RN, Pete Swann. I have posted this message on the News page:

Pete Swann - RIP

Terry Revell has informed us of the very sad news that Pete Swann, who sent us the images of his days on HMS Ickford, died in June - from cancer. Pete leaves a widow and two sons and Terry, who served with Pete in the Far East, Middle East and Europe, is now in touch with the family. We hope to hear more soon.

On hearing the news Dick Wyatt, an old shipmate of Pete's, sent us a photograph of himself and Pete on board HMS Ickford. You can see it by visiting the updated Operations at Sea page 1 at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_navy.htm.

Operations at Sea Page 2

We have now created a second page for our Operations at Sea memories. This page was inspired when we received some excellent images and text from Rod "Banjo" Hinchco who also served on HMS Ickford before joing the New Zealand Navy. He has also sent us a poem. On hearing the news of Pete's death, he wrote to say that he wants his contribution to our Memories page to be dedicated to the memory of Pete.

The new Operations at Sea page 2, and Rod's pictures and poem (which you will find evocative and thought-provoking), cane be seen by visiting http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_navy_2.htm.[/url]

Please visit these pages and, when viewing the images and the text, remember that Pete never lived to wear his PJM with the same honour as his other Commonwealth shipmates - a point that Rod, a Kiwi, says is the reason that he is giving us so much suppport in our campaign. It simply is not right. Never was, never will be - and we're going to have this injustice over-turned.

This campaign had the suppport of people like Ian Fraser VC, too. And we are inspired to fight on with the memory of that stunning support.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1