Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Herald Scotland
Post Herald Scotland 
http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/other/display.var.2231806.0.Veteran_hits_out_at_faceless_bureaucrats_in_medal_row.php#comments

Post And two penneth from me 
As Ian Bruce reports,

"The ombudsman reported that those who served in the forces more than 50 years ago are still classed as retired crown servants' and that they are subject to non-statutory rules and regulations and the orders of unelected civil servants".

It is no coincidence that veterans suddenly became so called "retired Crown Servants" shortly after the following excerpt from The London Gazette was discovered by Veterans organization researchers.
I quote:-

"The London Gazette, 3rd May 1968 5057

Foreign Office
Commonwealth Office

Orders, Decorations and Medals conferred by members of the Commonwealth of which The Queen is not Head of State, and by foreign countries.

The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve that Orders, Decorations and Medals conferred with Her Majesty's permission upon United Kingdom citizens not being servants of the Crown by the Heads or Governments of Commonwealth countries as defned above, or of foreign States, may in all cases be worn by the recipients without restriction".

In my view the case these unelected Sir Humphries consistently put forward is offensive, lacks respect for a friendly Commonwealth nation, British Veterans and 519 comrades who did not return. It also does not stand up to scrutiny by any fair minded person.

Kuching.
Absolutely agree, I have just read Ian Bruces article in Tuesdays Herald and it is an insult to call us by that title, if it were

the case where are the appropriate pensions.

Cameron

Absolutely agree, I have just read Ian Bruces article in Tuesdays Herald and it is an insult to call us by that title, if it were

the case where are the appropriate pensions.

Cameron

The MOD (DIN) and the Inland Revenue Service both state that 'whilst you were serving in the armed forces you were considered to be a Crown Servant but that definition would cease on your leaving the Forces'.

The Pensions Office have stated that if you have not contributed to a civil service pension you are not entitled to anything even though some may want to call you a retired civil servant.

Post The Herald 
Twisted Evil

I've just made my contribution to the Herald.

Regards

David

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1