Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Remembrance Day petition
Yes it is right that we should have one day when we think of those that did not return but I do have mixed feeling about a public holiday as I feel some people will turn it into just that a holiday, a day off work, husband being dragged off to help with the Christmas shopping.
I am yet to sign this petition I need to hear more arguments for and against.
I mean no offence to those who fully support a public holiday I just need more time before I make my mind up.

Post Remembrance Monday 
Paul,

I have signed this petition. This year, of course, the 11th actually fell on a Sunday. I was doing my fortnightly stint, from 8.30pm to 4.30pm daily at a shopping centre. On the 10th at 11.am we held a small parade with those collectors, including a good number of ACF and Air Cadets with a fair number of shoppers gathered around. However, there were still some people pushing their way through and around the gathering in order to continue their shopping and even some arguing with sales staff because they could not be served straight away. There is also the matter of poppies; the purchase of poppies is of course a matter pf personal choice; I had queues form around my display and took quite a lot of paper money this year, conversely, it was amusing to see people arriving at the top of the escalator, spot the display and immediately engage in a serious, deep, conversation and quickly pass by or alter direction! If it is to be a 'Public Holiday', perhaps local authorities could be induced to provide attractions such as parades of Youth Organisations and Schools and perhaps displays by them, special displays in libraries, and encourage local ex-service organisations and the RBL, SSAFA and others to take part as well (perhaps on the local market square? My point is; Remembrance is a personal thing, buying a poppy is a personal thing, as also, is what we may or may not do on a public day off. Finally; should we close all the churches and sell them to developers (as has happened) because, generally, attendance might be perceived as poor, or perhaps, ourselves stop going?

Paul, I hope this will help in the "making up my mind" process.

Regards,

David

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Remembrance Day petition 
""

Last edited by StanW on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post In rememberence 
Taking Pete's arguement a stage further. We made our sacrifices so they can act the way they do.

I'd like to think how they would have acted, if we had failed to stop the communist tide.

Remember where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise... in their own eyes, that is.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1