This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Wounded soldiers appeal started
Post Wounded soldiers appeal started 
See BBC News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7021493.stm

Hamish

Post Help for Heroes 
Sorry, but I'm a little peeved that the BBC reported and named the RBL, the Help for Heroes (the new charity); mentioned
the new house/accommodation at Ashtead, but failed to report that SSAFA-Forces Help had bought the house for £1.7m to provide this essential accommodation. Of course Derek Twigg is delighted - allow them to further develop HC - perhaps before the MOD and their 'prisoner generals'(RAMC?) CB KBE KCVO etc decide to sell it as no longer meeting requirement. BITTER! You bet I am!
Evil or Very Mad

Post Devil's Advocate 
Let me be devil's advocate ...

I see this fundraising as yet another tax. Just like the National Lottery - it takes money from the people to pay for things that the people have already paid for through their taxes - things the Government should be providing.

HMG should meet their responsibilities towards (ex-)servicemen and women.

If they are bailed out yet again they will try it on again. What should happen is that the General should resign and everybody else should resign so that HMG and those weasel civil serrvants would have to don uniforms and go and sort out the mess they've created. Somebody with influence should have the courage to maker a stand.

This is blackmail. Twigg et al know that we won't let our servicemen and women down. In fact he and his dishonourable associates who continue to break the Military Covenant, are counting on us not to do that.

Barry

PS Yes - I have paid my extra tax and have supported these campaigns. And yes ... I am sending back my Veterans Badge to Twigg who sent it to me "with his compliments" - cheeky s*d!

I do not see Lt Gen Louis Lillywhite, late RAMC doing much to support this. He is also Surgeon Gen for the Services.
Where is he these days. He did not do much as my CO in the late 70s so with promotion he does even less now.

R H I P

Phredd

Now you are talking my language Barry, I agree with everything you wrote.I see a red mist in front of me on this issue

Rgds Ray

You are not the only person who fumes when he reads that General Sir Richard Dannett has asked for public donations for a swimming pool to rehabilitate our wounded forces. His aim is £5 million, so why not ask all the over-paid Civil Servants and Politicians to give up 2% of their ample wages and expenses, and to hand back the profit made from their second house bought for them by the taxpayer, then we could be well on the way to achieving the required sum, or perhaps even over it with more to spare for other projects.

Just for information. A new book has been published entitled 'The Bumper Book of Government Waste. It states that over £100 BILLION (YES BILLION) a year of tax-payers money is wasted on pointless projects. Tax Inspectors spent over £2 million on flights to Scotland (why pick on us?) and Tony Blair blew hundreds of thousands of pounds on a conference entitled 'value for money in public services' - what a joke!

I am in agreement with Barry that this is just another tax on the poor British citizen who cares about their armed forces - we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't.

What about the lottery money, or is this all tied up with the latest project of teaching homosexuals bondage practices under the NHS. The whole country has gone crazy with a capital 'C' but I am sure other ways can be found to obtain the finances required for the swimming pool but we would have to rid our country of people like General Sir Richard Dannatt and Des Browne first.

Whilst all this is going on, including an illegal war in Iraq, shortages of kit for our fighting forces, disbanding loyal regiments then complaining of shortages in recruitment, wounded soldiers being abused in Selby Oak hospital and told by staff to remove their uniforms in case they offend others (and we all know who they are), where are the people who should be supporting them, people like our Queen and those of her family who are Commanders in Chief of Regiments etc. To their utter shame their silence is deafening.

Post Government Advise! 
Dennis Healey's Rule of Holes - when you're in one, stop digging

Rgds Stan

Post British Lack of Defence in further crisis! 
As I said, I'm fuming; however I don't intend to punish our wounded and traumatised comrades
by expecting this Goverment(?) to do anything which is exactly why ( Embarassed ) I did what I did. Mr Brown has promised a thousand of our lads will be home for Christmas - GOOD! I reckon they will be given 4 weeks leave including embarkation and then off to Afghanistan! OK so I'm a Bl**dy old cycnic. Twisted Evil Watch this space!

PS. Barry, I shall hang on to my Veterans Badge as a constant reminder (if I/We needed one) of the type of Sh*ts we have (or rather most of you have had) dealing with over the last 3 years. Could I suggest you keep it M8, you earned it whoever the twerp was who sent it to you.

David

I was under the impression that they HAD a pool, and receive FIRST CLASS treatment ?????? http://www.yellowribbon.org.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=27

It seems to me that 'someone' is trying to make political headway out of this !

Post Defence in Crisi 
Fred,

It would, of course appear to you that 'someone is trying to make political capital out of this'

1) I was not suggesting that for one minute the injured and traumatised are now or have never received
less than the absolute best treatment possible.

)2 I did not say that they did not have a pool, but the pool that they have no longer meets the demands being
made upon it; the same applies to the Gymnasium both of which need extending and bringing up to the standard
currently required because of the actions in both Iraq and Afghanistan with the unfortunate increase in particular type of casualties caused by the insurgent type of engagement; i.e. car or similar types of bombs.

3. MOD is Government or, conversely Government is MOD. Since they claim to run Headlay Court it is not unfair to criticise
them for unloading their responsibilty on to the voluntary sector. The situation would be no different if a Government other than New Labour with its new PM were in power. In fact I believe that the principle involved is, indeed, apolitical. It is a question of the responsibilty of any Government to provide, in particular, what is required in this case.

4. I would advise that in future it would be better to read around the subject rather than read the Yellow Ribbon or whatever else in isolation - which in any case was not what I would call authoratative or for that matter, up to date and to read a post and understand what is written and what it means!

Last edited by GLOman on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Iraq soldiers forced to go cap in hand 
See the following in The daily telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/02/niraq102.xml

Hamish

Post Devil's advocate. 
Barry.

About a year ago, just about the time the Veterans Badge was hot news, I typed one of my irreverent posts having viewed the object. "Looks like a pretty useless bit of kit to me," I said....and got a lot of flack. My next post was by way of explanation and based on the lines that my mum had always told me not to accept sweets from STRANGE people....followed by more flack. A couple of PMs later, and assurances that it was an honourable bit of kit from F4 people who accepted that I had made my point honourably I actually applied for one. I should have followed my gut reaction and steered clear of it. Believe me, I am not crowing...because I too fell for the whole bloody scam. Unlike you Barry, I shall not be sending mine back for the simple reason it will cost me money. I have a bin outside my back door provided by the local council and it will go in there when I locate the useless bit of kit.
As for generals asking for handouts I quote something written in the early 1890s by a much villified man. "Charity," he said, "is a word now used by the government of the day to escape its fundamental duty." The same man, much as we will do, when asked by a beggar for half a crown to support his family replied, "You ask for half a crown to feed a family I do not know exists, but just in case I shall give you two and sixpence."

MB.

I have been a resident of Headley Court, and the treatment is indeed first class. The pool they speak of in the Yellow Ribbon article is, as they say, purely a Hydrotherapy pool, and there is not much room in it for more than a very few patients at any one time.

The water is warm, and is neither suitable nor big enough to swim properly with an aim to increase general fitness. They need a proper swimming pool for that, and the sooner the general public are made aware of this the better; before some b#####d waters down the appeal by saying they already have one.

My comment was based on the fact that the pool was described as "One of the largest hydrotherapy pools in the UK" which would imply that our servicemen/women may prehaps be more fortunate than many civilians.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next