Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
[size=9]Conditions rougher at some UK bases than in Afghanis
Post [size=9]Conditions rougher at some UK bases than in Afghanis 
Conditions rougher at some UK bases than in Afghanistan, say MPs

See the following in the Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,2168940,00.html

Hamish

The Defence Select Committee, who carried out these inspection, is made up of 8 Labour, 4 Tory, and 2 Lib Dem MP's. In general there report was good, but did admit that some accommodation, built in the 50's and 60's, was below standard expected. This has not happened as a direct result of this governments underfunding, but is the result of a steady decline which was also happening under the previous government. It would be totally wrong to imply these conditions have only appeared since the start of this governments term. I remember how grotty some of the accomodation was in my days (At 200 Singapore Provost Company we were about 60 to a barrackroom with no more than 3 feet between beds)...I'm sure you can too !

I agree with Fred (for a change) it is not just under Browns government but it also happened under the last government, Blairs!

John

I got lots of pay rises under Maggie and my quarters were always good but after options for change AND in the Blair years the Married Quarters were sold off.

It was always the good ones never the substandard and consequently the troops and their families were shunted into the poorer quarters so that what were termed excess quarters could be sold off into the private sector with little or no expense to prepare them. There were always bad areas and the squares in Aldershot were a prime example of this but they were demolished under the Thatcher government and a new estate was built which was (and is) extremely nice.

I joined in 1963 and travelled extensively in my 27 years service and I NEVER came across barrack rooms (or huts) accomodating 60! A chum of mine who served in Singapore remembers 200 Coy with great affection and he was happy with the accomodation in 1963-5 so it could not have been that bad. The worst accomodation that I ever saw was Hounslow Cavalry Barracks which was occupied by the Guards but even those were made to be extremely comfortable by the men with a little work. Of course, the Heathrow flight path being overhead did not help.

London District Pro Coy had some of the worst accomodation being in the old Grenadier Guards Hospital building in Rochester Row but it had a certain charm in it's antiquity that cannot be matched by modern eyesores. Again this building was made to be more than comfortable. Of course, field conditions meant exactly that. The best quarter I lived in was in fact in an old Victorian Square at Millbank in Central London so it just goes to show, what is manna for one is poison for another!!!

Leaving politics aside, the armed forces have never experienced a smooth ride under any government but pay and conditions were only ever improved during the Thatcher years.

John

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

John

Post Service accomodation. 
In 1954 I abandoned student life aged 16 and a half and joined up as a Junior Leader in the Army. It lasted about 11 months until I developed a problem with one of my eyes. At Buller Barracks, Aldershot, kitted out with WW1 Service Dress and flat cap, drilled by senior WOs of the Brigade of Guards etc, but taught a trade which I continued some years later as a N.Service bod, I could give you a taste of "Old World" soldiering and accomodation that would make your toes curl. The most amazing example of life was to do with cook-house duties when a new fangled mincer was installed, on trial. To make it work efficiently we were given broom handles to shove whatever went into it through the grinders....and we got through a lot of broom handles...knowing that we would soon be eating them. At 19 and a half, although no longer A1 I was called up to do my bit. Back to Aldershot and well remembered accomodation...but the mincers must have been kicked into touch cos I never came across another.

Anyway, as our Pete so eloquently said, "We is all a family" ....and times have changed. Call me GRANDAD if you must, but I need to say that I really do wish that I could afford to "Swill" whisky, especially the best malts.

Now raising a wee dram of Laphrohaig to you all.....Slainte....Cheers.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1