Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
What if I do wear it?
Post What if I do wear it? 
Just out of curiosity, were I to defy the might of Her Majesties Government of Venality, what would I risk?

A specially created tax? Incarceration at Her leisure (easier than survival as a pensioner)

Think I might just risk it Laughing

Caeful Fuzz you might get to be promoted to the HD committee Laughing

Post Medal News Editorial 
I have today recieved my April issue of Medal News. You may remember that I posted some email responses from the Editor concerning the PJM and he was, if not enthusiastic, at least supportive. Here is a copy of his editorial. The last sentence is very interesting.

MEDAL NEWS April 2006
WITH the announcement that the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal can be accepted but not worn by eligible veterans the debate over what is and isn’t acceptable to place on one’s chest is opened anew. There are those who say that they’ll wear the medal regardless; others who say that these medals, and others like them, have no place amongst “proper” decorations and still more who draw distinctions between these “Government sanctioned” awards and those that can be purchased and are not “awarded”. The debate is certain to run and run and nothing I say here will change that but I would like to mention a few things if I may. Firstly it is important to make clear the differences between the various medals available. Some, like the PJM, the Saudi Kuwait medal and others are “official” foreign decorations that another government has conferred upon veterans, which our government has graciously accepted on their behalf but which cannot be worn as a British medal has already been awarded for that same action/conflict. Then there are the “unofficial” or “commemorative” medals—usually produced by a commercial company that then sells them, often with the backing of a veterans’ organisation which then benefits from their sale. Within this group is a further division—medals that can be bought by anyone as a “commemoration”, and those that can only be bought by bona fide veterans or their next of kin who have to formally apply for them and be vetted to ensure eligibility. There can be no doubt that in recent years the number of medals that a veteran may potentially wear has grown enormously and there are many who bemoan the fact that Remembrance Day parades are now much louder affairs as the jangling of the “gongs” gets louder! However there are equally those who insist that the medals that grace so many chests are just as hard won as any officially awarded so why should any be denied the right to wear them? To a certain extent you can understand the view point—after all a man who was taken prisoner early on in World War II can hardly be said to have not “done his duty” but a whole raft
of medals that he could have potentially won with his regiment had he not be captured would be denied
to him. Similarly those veterans who took part in specific campaigns like Normandy or the Arctic Convoys argue strongly that the criteria for the medals they were given as participants in those actions—the France and Germany Star and Atlantic Star respectively—were such that many have been awarded them without going anywhere near the horrors of the beaches or the nightmare of the Arctic seas. They argue not that the awards should have had more stringent criteria but rather that they should be awarded something else to show that they were “in the thick of it”—and as it is practically impossible to ever foresee any government granting that request, private companies have “filled the gap”. On the face of it the case for the PJM does seem different to that of the commercial medals as it was issued by a government, but there are similarities—in the case of the Normandy veterans, the Bomber Command veterans and those who served in the Convoys: the British Government insists they can’t have a separate medal as one has already been awarded that covers their service—so too with the PJM with the argument being that Malaya/Malaysia veterans already have the General Service Medal and relevant clasps. With this in mind is it right to see the PJM or Kuwait medal as being any more suitable for wear than say the Normandy veterans medal or has the Government done the right thing in its ruling? Of course the inclusion of the word “formal” in the statement regarding wear of the PJM does leave the whole thing open to interpretation and it has been mooted that a “blind eye” may well be turned. The issue is of course an emotive one and there are strong arguments on both sides. Those insisting that Queen’s regulations must be strictly adhered to and that NO unofficial medals, even those sanctioned by a government can be worn unless specific permission is given, arguing their case very persuasively in one corner and those stating that “badges of service”, whether bought or awarded, sanctioned or unsanctioned should be worn by any who earned them, should they so wish, arguing just as well in theirs! Which is the right way? Well it depends on your view point of course and I for one do not have a definitive answer. Whilst I do feel that the award or purchase of medals does have to have its limits (we all know of countries who seem to award a medal for just about anything and don’t really
think we’d want to see that over here) I also know that when I next see a veteran sporting a Normandy medal or proudly wearing his PJM I certainly won’t be telling him he shouldn’t be. One thing is for certain, he might not be “allowed” to wear it officially but his right to wear it will be far greater than mine to tell him he can’t.

Post Re: Medal News Editorial 
GerryL wrote:
..........already have the General Service Medal and relevant clasps. With this in mind is it right to see the PJM or Kuwait medal as being any more suitable for wear than say the Normandy veterans medal or has the Government done the right thing in its ruling? Of course the inclusion of the word “formal” in the statement regarding wear of the PJM does leave the whole thing open to interpretation and it has been mooted that a “blind eye” may well be turned. The issue is of course an emotive one and there are strong arguments on both sides. Those insisting that Queen’s regulations must be strictly adhered to and that NO unofficial medals, even those sanctioned by a government can be worn unless specific permission is given, arguing their case very persuasively in one corner and those stating that “badges of service”, whether bought or awarded, sanctioned or unsanctioned should be worn by any who earned them, should they so wish, arguing just as well in theirs! Which is the right way? Well it depends on your view point of course and I for one do not have a definitive answer. Whilst I do feel that the award or purchase of medals does have to have its limits (we all know of countries who seem to award a medal for just about anything and don’t really
think we’d want to see that over here) I also know that when I next see a veteran sporting a Normandy medal or proudly wearing his PJM I certainly won’t be telling him he shouldn’t be. One thing is for certain, he might not be “allowed” to wear it officially but his right to wear it will be far greater than mine to tell him he can’t.

PREZACTLY!!

You're right, that last paragraph says it all.
Bob Bryant

Post Re: What if I do wear it? 
Fuzz wrote:
Just out of curiosity, were I to defy the might of Her Majesties Government of Venality, what would I risk?

A specially created tax? Incarceration at Her leisure (easier than survival as a pensioner)

Think I might just risk it Laughing

Fuzz ... how the hell did I mess that posting of yours! Just read ... still chuckling! Barry

Gerry, You're right, that last paragraph says it all. Bob Bryant

I'll second that, Bob.

The message is getting through, Gerry. I think this April editorial is more positive than the earlier one you kindly quoted. Shame he thinks there's a double-medalling issue with the PJM. But it is progress. We're getting there.

Very soon, more people will cease questioning the wearing and start questioning the whingeing of those who try and withhold that right.

Barry

Post Missed Point. 
Very good article in medal news but he has missed the point as regards the medal ie. Commonwealth Countries have accepted this medal and Her Majesty the Queen has authorised them in writing, to accept and wear it. Why should British veterans be any different? Because we are 'ruled' (so they think) by arty-farty, hoity-toity, terminally useless morons who believe they can treat the British Citizen in any manner that they so like and we will roll over and allow them to scratch our bellies. Well, not this one! I believe they have acted unlawfully, conspired to blame Her Majesty for the non-wearing rule. and will have to be dealt with sooner or later. They all think they are beyond justice but they are not - just ask Jeffrey Archer, and Lord Watson who is presently incarcerated in a Scottish jail.
Oh! and another thing, it is quite clear in Ian Pearson MP's statement that Her Majesty the Queen signed a recommendation waiving the two long established rules to allow those eligible to accept and wear the PJM - FACT!
WEAR IT WITH PRIDE AND STUFF THE LOT OF THEM!!

Post Re: Missed Point. 
[quote="mcdangle"]Very good article in medal news but he has missed the point as regards the medal ie. Commonwealth Countries have accepted this medal and Her Majesty the Queen has authorised them in writing, to accept and wear it. Why should British veterans be any different? /quote]

Absolutely fundamental, mcdangle.

I am sick and tired of our govenment telling us what we can and can`t do. I am one of those who has been in that area (borneo) and entitled to have the PJM and i am going to wear it whenever i like I have one from service i HONG KONG (2years) that i bought myself i wear it to rememberance day parades and will contiue to do so .........so wear that govenment Shocked

I am sick and tired of our govenment telling us what we can and can`t do. I am one of those who has been in that area (borneo) and entitled to have the PJM and i am going to wear it whenever i like I have one from service i HONG KONG (2years) that i bought myself i wear it to rememberance day parades and will contiue to do so .........so wear that govenment Shocked

Well done KM and welcome to the forum, sock it to 'em mate!
John C

Post Right to wear 
KM
I'm with you, I was in Borneo & Malaya so I too will wear the PJM with pride.
I brought myself a Cold War Victory Medal, the reason I was on the Thor Missile Sites during the Cuban Crisis, that was when I hurt my back kissing my backside goodbye, I was also in Thailand with S.E.A.T.O. so I felt I deserved something to show for it, but please do not get me wrong I'm not trying to put myself forward as some kind of war hero, I'm not, I just did and went where I was ordered. As an SAC erk I couldn't do much else.
The question is do I wear this CWVM? some say I should some say no!
But to hell with anyone who says I can not wear the PJM, because if they say I can't, they can hurt their backs this time kissing my ****!

Last edited by Paul Alders on Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Re: Right to wear 
Paul Alders wrote:
KM
I'm with you, I was in Borneo & Malaya so I too will wear the PJM with pride.
I brought myself a Cold War Victory Medal, the reason I was on the Thor Missile Sites during the Cubin Crisis, that was when I hurt my back kissing my backside goodbye, I was also in Thailand with S.E.A.T.O. so I felt I deserved something to show for it, but please do not get me wrong I'm not trying to put myself forward as some kind of war hero, I'm not, I just did and went where I was ordered. As an SAC erk I couldn't do much else.
The question is do I wear this CWVM? some say I should some say no!
But to hell with anyone who says I can not wear the PJM, because if they say I can't, they can hurt their backs this time kissing my ****!

Well said Paul and if they miss yours they can come to Scotland and get right up my kilt.

Anyone notice BREAKING NEWS - police report a 60 years man has been arrested in Honours for Cash investigation. Bet Blurr will get out of it but so much for their Honours and Integrity sh*t they are shoveling.

Here are the details the blighter has been named and bubbled

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4906504.stm

Post CASH 
If a life peerqage costs about £35,000. thats £1-00p each so that we can wear our PJM.
I was thinking who do I send the money too, but I would not dis-honour this medal & crawl down to their level.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next