Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Doublestandard Hypocricsy on the MOD Veterans Agency website

Post Mr Touhig expresses his sorrow... 
My anticipated letter arrived today...and as expected, it is a virtual carbon copy of the one George rec'd earlier...saying that he regrets that the letter contained 'disappointing news'.

ergo.....the following...

Don Touhig MP:
Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Defence And Minister for Veterans
Ministry of Defence
Floor 5 Zone B Main Building
Whitehall, London. SW1A 2H

April 11, 2006

Pingat Jasa Malaysia

Dear Mr Touhig,

Thank you for your letter of the 5th inst, of which I am recently in receipt.

As your closing paragraph suggests, I am indeed disappointed with your response.

Let me say that I am even more disappointed by the apparent fact that you, an elected official, have overtly committed yourself to the defence of the indefensible. Presumably, affected veterans within your constituency, will in due course, mobilise to tangibly express their disappointment with that stance, at the ballot box.

Additionally, my personal disappointment is that, as a Canadian citizen, not completely ‘au courant’ with UK political dynamics, I have obviously misconstrued the title ‘Parliamentary Under-Secretary for Defence And Minister for Veterans ’. My naïve assumption was that this title might designate an individual dedicated to protecting the constitutional rights of veterans. It is apparent from your letter that the primary function is, in fact, protection of the privileged posteriors of the HD Committee, by slavish parroting of their arbitrary, discriminatory and disingenuous pronouncements.

· FCO ‘Restricted Wear’ legislation applies only to military personnel in uniform or civilian individuals employed in some capacity by HMG. It is erroneous to imply that retired civilians are subject to this ‘rule’.

· ‘Double Medalling’ is a spurious issue, since the scope of the PJM covers both service and timescales outwith the eligibility rules for the General Service Medal with clasp(s) “Malaya”, “Malay Peninsula”, and/or “Borneo.

· Multiple requests for a definition of ‘Formal Permission’ and the identity of the individual(s) who elected to coin that phrase, have received no response. I reject, categorically, any oblique inference that my Sovereign is responsible for this uninformed and discriminatory language.

· The trivialisation of this honour gratuitously insults all of the following:
The Veterans: The Fallen: The Agong, Government & Peoples of Malaysia: The Governments & Peoples of Australia & New Zealand, (by the implication that their HD standards are somehow inferior to those of the UK HD).

The fact that, in this day and age, such decisions are exclusively within the purview of a clandestine and non-elected body simply boggles the democratic mind! The actions and statements of the HD Committee appear to borrow infinitely more from prejudice and mendacity, than they do from honour and integrity.

Being repeatedly disappointed by the vague and ambiguous responses of several of your parliamentary contemporaries on this topic, I am reluctantly forced to form the opinion that none of them chooses to provide an honest answer to a simple question. One would almost think that the subject is one that creates embarrassment for them (you?) and from which they cannot, quickly enough, distance themselves.

Given the circumstances, let me speculate that there is compelling reason for such guilty embarrassment and in addition, an abundance of justifiable shame, to stigmatise all who continue to assist in perpetuating this petty minded charade.

You may rely Sir; on hearing a great deal more of this matter.

It is my hope that this will not prove to be a disappointment to you.

Sincerely,

John 'Jock' Fenton
(Ex Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division)
http://www.fight4thepjm.org

Well slap my thighs Jock, that has socked it to them and him!

I must have a go myself, all those in favour...................

Post Phew! 
John
That letter to Toerag was a real belter. If that doesn't make him sit up and choke on his humble pie, then he deserves whatever is thrown at him (or in the case of Her Majesty, whatever is throne at him).

Post Brilliant 
Absolutely top class Jock. I don't know about Touhig, Minister Against Veterans, but it frightened me. I have written to Jack 'the lad' Straw and I have blamed Touhig for making public the HD recommendations to The Queen thus making them available under the FoI Act.
I note you were with the Gurkha's. My regiment the KOSB's were also attached to 63 Gurkha Infantry Brigade southern Malaya 55 - 58. A superb letter auld freen.

Post Re: Mr Touhig expresses his sorrow... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
ergo.....the following...

I have never liked Touhig or what he supposedly represents. He's of the worst kind ... with a title purporting to represent our best interests while using it to sink them.

Your stunning letter relegates him to the level he deserves ... please see my image on the the What We Say page ... Traitor's Gate!

When I visited his web site, I drew a blank

http://www.dontouhig.org.uk/

which just about says everything about our Co-op member!

http://www.dontouhig.org.uk/Personal%20Web%20Page.htm
This one should work

admin wrote:
I have never liked Touhig

Still don't!

George,

A present from me ...

Have a read of this ... in particular the last sentence of the last paragraph!

http://www.modoracle.com/?page=http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.h2f?id=10599&category=all&refresh=81389450-FFBB-4FDE-A9F85B16D55770F8

Post Late issue of wings 
Just goes to show - Toerag by name , toerag by nature. I'm surprised that the guy can sleep at nights. Perhaps a soft pillow of hypocricy is more comfortable than the one that I sleep on.

Post Copied from the article, just for you George 
Veterans’ Minister Don Touhig said before today's presentation:

"Her outstanding bravery in the face of extreme dangers throughout the Second World War in France were exceptional. Not only does it take great courage to make a parachute drop, but doing so alone, into hostile territory at the height of a vicious War is all the more exceptional.

"It is clear her determination and selfless commitment were exemplary and contributed in no small measure to the overall success gained by the Allies. It is important that we never forget the achievements and actions of Madame Cornioley and all those veterans who have done so much in every conflict we have encountered to ensure we are able to live in a free world."

...........interesting choice of words....one wonders if a certain group of veterans might not be able to incorporate them into a letter to the venerable Mr Touhig?

Post Re: Copied from the article, just for you George 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
... interesting choice of words....one wonders if a certain group of veterans might not be able to incorporate them into a letter to the venerable Mr Touhig?

Yerrrs ... was thinking the same meself.

I find his hypocrisy a tad nauseating.

The point of the story, for those who cannot access it online, is that this wonderful woman from SOE who parachuted into France and helped lead the equivalent of two battlaions of French Maquis, was cited for an MC but wasn't eligible because she was a woman, was also denied the right to wear parachute wings! 63 years later she was presented with her wings saying that "receiving her operational parachute wings is more important than receiving the CBE or MBE!"

And at that point up popped .. guess who ...? none other than the VA's very own civilian-never-worn-a-uniform Dont Ouhig, spouting off (in an implied spirit of understanding and camaraderie) about never forgetting the veterans who have ensured "we are able to live in a free world".

Now ... isn't that what the Malayisans were trying to say with the PJM? But the difference is, they've been there, they got the T-shirt, they fought with us in a dangerous fight, they won the war on terror, and they just wanted to acknowledge the part we played. He has done none of those things.

George F wrote:

Tried it Barry, but the website wont open for me.

http://www.modoracle.com/?page=http://www.modoracle.com/news/detail.h2f?id=10599&category=all&refresh=81389450-FFBB-4FDE-A9F85B16D55770F8

George, it seems to be working from the URL included with your post.

Anyway, Jock has quoted the lines I referred to.

I look forward to reading your comments to Dont Ourig!

Last edited by BarryF on Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1