Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
The 'Ayes' of March - More from Radio Solent
Post The 'Ayes' of March - More from Radio Solent 
For any members who might like the opportunity to listen to Barry's stated opinions...Solent Radio are running a program (tomorrow morning MARCH 15TH we are told).

Listen in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/solent_aod.shtml?solent/julian_clegg_solent

Post Re: More Solent Radio 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
For any members who might like the opportunity to listen to Barry's stated opinions...Solent Radio are running a program (tomorrow morning MARCH 15TH we are told).

Listen in...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/solent_aod.shtml?solent/julian_clegg_solent

Any idea of the time Jock? We are 10.5 hour ahead in Oz? so it will be sometime tonight for us

Hello Ken.The Julian Clegg program went out at at 0700 hrs GMT today 15/03/07 .I've just listened to it on line.Barry F. was on about 0710 hrs and Aurthur about 0810 hrs.Hope this helps.

Post Re: The 'Ayes' of March - More from Radio Solent 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:

Yerrrs ... these are indeed only my opinions! More importantly, the Julian Clegg show represented more brilliant support from the Beeb.

If you're interested here is a clip from BBC Radio Solent (large file, 1.8MB):

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/Media_Coverage/Solent_15Mar_1.mp3

This clip was recorded in Oz but please treat it as copyright BBC Radio Solent.

Post Well done our kid... 
Very well done Barry....you got the point across in no uncertain terms!...and such coverage can only but help the cause and swell our support base.

As for the individual who suggested on-air that our campaign, by employing the nomenclature of our title, 'Fight4'. was somehow being 'inappropriate'...since I do not know him, or of him, I shall be charitable.....he is very much mistaken.

Let me assure all Association members and supporters that their 'Fight4' Committee have, to a man, been most assiduously circumspect in all interactions with government officials and with Her Majesty...we have stringently scrutinized and critiqued each others work to ensure that our message was 'on track', our letters courteous and in no instance were we abusive....in all of our actions we have striven to be, 'appropriate'.

As has been widely promulgated, we at 'Fight4' are campaigning with a solitary objective in mind....permission to wear the PJM...for ALL eligible recipients.

Nothing more............Nothing less.

Post Radio Solent 
Anything happened on this route?

As I recall there was talk of a petition to the Beckett woman. (She who never answered a letter/email)

Also talk of "volunteers" helping to deliver said petition.

It's all gone very quiet. Crying or Very sad

Kuching.
Post Re: Radio Solent 
Semengo13 wrote:
Anything happened on this route?

Not as far I am aware, John.

Post Radio Solent 
Thanks for that Barry.

Crying or Very sad

Kuching.
Post Re: Radio Solent 
Semengo13 wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Hi John,

A PS ... to turn the Crying or Very sad into a Very Happy !

Radio Solent had a major impact where it mattered - the broadcasts inspired major support in Parliament, and that is the only place where this matter can be resolved now. Sandra Gidley took part in the programs and she is still on our case. Only yesterday I received an email from Brianbart, a constituent. You can read it at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13667#13667.

As far as the campaign is concerned, there is a lot going on behind the scenes. MPs like Sandra are lobbying, Don Touhig is going to ask for a debate in the Commons. Individual supporters are questioning what has happened and writing letters to their MPs. The Conservatives have re-confirmed their intention to review the Foreign Decorations Rules. I have never been so busy. I am more comfortable now that we shall win a public acknowledgement of what we already know ... that we have the right to wear the PJM.

All the best,

Barry

In any case, my answer to the first question is....................I haven't a clue!

John

Post On-line petitions.....? 
Redcapfred wrote:
Good news John, but has she and her husband signed the petition....Sadly, last time I looked there were only 700 plus out of British 35,000 PJMers and their families?

Many criticisms are levelled at the practices associated with 'on-line petitions' ...particularly those produced by government owned sites....some cynics say that they are merely a technological perversion of democratic process, in that the 'petition', while providing a ready forum for people to vent their frustrations, supposedly to advise and pressure the government to alter policy... all the petition does, in actual fact, is produce an illusion of democratic involvement....it keeps the complaining faction busy, thinking that, by adding their name, they are 'doing something'...while the government, not being in any way bound by the results of the petition, continues to do nothing, which is what...(as we PJM'ers are well aware)... most governments do best.

Also; many NGOs claim the track record of online petitions is another reason to shun them, as there are remarkably few examples of this form of petition ever achieving their stated objective, and critics frequently cite the concept as an example of 'slacktivism'...used only by those who are too busy (or lazy?) to make formal complaint.

I think we are much better served by exerting pressure via written personal letters or emails to MP's, demanding that they perform the function for which they were elected.

On-line petitions are like rocking chairs...While they may give you the impression of movement....They're not getting you anywhere!

Just the opinion of a Canadian 'Prat' ........

Good news John, but has she and her husband signed the petition....Sadly, last time I looked there were only 700 plus out of British 35,000 PJMers and their families?

Fred,

The BBC Radio Solent Petition is not connected with the public petition. Jo Palmer, the BBC Reporter, told us that she would take what I think she called a People's Petition to a Govt Department or No 10 (can't remember which she mentioned). She was going to produce it and deliver it personally, and a few of us volunteered to go with her. Her Petition would reflected the astonishing response from listeners that the BBC received from their PJM programs.

As for the 700 signatures, for the most part our campaign involves people in the 60's-80's age group and most are not renowned for being active "online ". Interestingly, I have been told that notice has been taken of Petitions with very few signatures - compare also the response from the Advertising Authority to complaints from a handful of people (literally below 10 in number). The Government shouls take note of those 700 signatures and the hundreds of MP's signatures on EDMs in the Commons.

Regards,

Barry

Barry, the Radio Solent campaign is having an effect and is reaching people who normally have absolutely no opinion on anything, my sister and her husband!

They visited me last week for the first time ever having not seen or spoken to her for over two years. They live just outside Chichester and listen to Solent all the time. Her husband is an ex Captain of Commando's (Army type) and is severly disabled having had a stroke recently so the radio is his lifeline. They were very interested to see a real PJM after having heard so much about it on the radio. My sister was very eloquent on her disapproval of the government for not allowing veterans to receive and wear it.

If you can convince her you can and should (and most likely have) convince the vast majority of ordinary, decent people of the merits of our case.

John

Terrific news Barry et al. As ever, many thanks for all the efforts, particularly "behind the scenes".

Good to hear things are still moving relentlessly towards ultimate victory (or should I say success).

My Sad is now a Very Happy

Best wishes,

John

Kuching.
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next