Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
How far down the road are we?
Post How far down the road are we? 
Can anyone actually tell me exactly where we are in the fight4 scenario?
Up to now THREE people from varying parts of the country tell me that official permission to wear the medal has been granted.I haven't myself seen anything to substatiate those claims.
I do wear mine (replica)alongside my GSM & Clasp Malaya anyway as I've always been a bit of a rebel,but I would appreciate any info.

I think people have been misinterpreting the 'spin' put out by the suits re 'we will not police it if you wear it'. To my knowledge nothing official has come from Whitehall or Her Majesty. We are constantly being informed 'soon' or 'shortly' and I suppose we can interpret that as meaning 'imminent' so let us wait just a little longer, we live in hope!

Last edited by StanW on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
One wonders were these three Chelsea Pensioners given permission by their superior officer to wear PJM medals while in the uniform of The Queen and allowing their photograph to be used in a national newspaper to stick the two fingers up against the non wearing rule in the PJM ministerial statement?

Question: The middle pensioner is wearing two other medals (next to his PJM) they look foreign, one wonders were these two medals given unrestricted permission to wear by The Queen?

Post Re: How far down the road are we? 
Smudger wrote:
Can anyone actually tell me exactly where we are in the fight4 scenario?
Up to now THREE people from varying parts of the country tell me that official permission to wear the medal has been granted.I haven't myself seen anything to substatiate those claims.
I do wear mine (replica)alongside my GSM & Clasp Malaya anyway as I've always been a bit of a rebel,but I would appreciate any info.

Smudger, No matter how some interpret what they are read or are told, British citizens do not have formal permission to wear the PJM. They do not have the Queen's permission to wear the medal - and an MoD Notice states that to wear an unauthorised medal is a grave discourtesy to the Queen. Each must make their own decision but, until I receive the Queen's permission, I shall not wear mine. If I did, I would not be giving the 'royal salute' to the civil servants - what I would be doing is responding to them and letting them off the hook. They'll laugh all the way to their next OBE because they've successfully encouraged us to wear an unauthorised medal and, in so doing, have taken the focus off them and their discredited acts.

Whether to wear the PJM or not is a personal decision, though. What I have just stated is a personal view.

For two years we have been making a simple case. There is no tenable reason why eight civil servants should not ask the Queen her view by placing a recommendation in front of her. They have steadfastly refused to do that. If She says “No” we’ll all know where we are up to. If She says “Yes”, then British veterans will be able to wear their PJM with the same honour as the Aussies and Kiwis to whom the Queen has given formal permission.

The suits know that if they ask the Queen She will say “Yes”.

And that is why, so far, they haven’t asked Her!

However, following intense lobbying over the last year from many quarters, not just Fight4thePJM, the civil servants have decided to ask the Honours and Decorations to look at their PJM recommendation again.

The HD Committee was supposed to report back last November. It has taken longer than expected for them to organise their reply but I hope that we shall know before the end of this month - and in time for those who are going to Malaysia to know where they are up to. If they do not have formal permission, where does that leave them when they attend formal PJM presentations in Malaysia? In the context of today's situation they will offend either the Queen or the Agong by respectively wearing or not wearing their medal. The whole situation is 'ludicrous'.

Which reminds me ... following the Fight4thePJM's petition to the Scottish Parliament, Scottish MSP's eagerly await a response from the HD Committee explaining their 'ludicrous' decision. And our next hearing is on the 20th March ... a date for your diary? Or will the HD Committee spare everyone (and I include those in Buckingham Palace) any further embarrassment and put this matter to bed once and for all before that date?

Barry

PS When we have a positive answer (but not until), this web site will close and we’ll pack our bags and go home. This is a single issue campaign for us.

Smile

Barry,

Even for latecomers like me this site has been, actually, still is a vibrant
interest in our lives. Please, give us a day or two when the time comes
to celebrate and say thanks to "The Great Eight" and cheerio to the others
whose names have become familiar over the many months past.

Regards,

David

Post Re: How far down the road are we? 
GLOman wrote:
Smile

Barry,

interest in our lives. Please, give us a day or two when the time comes
to celebrate and say thanks to "The Great Eight" and cheerio to the others
whose names have become familiar over the many months past.

Regards,

David

David,

I fully understand what you are saying.

I think we have published (I'll find the link) how this web site will 'close'. The web site and Forum will remain open for a couple of weeks before new posts are no longer possible.

I have proposed leaving a 'frozen' web site on the Internet.

That way, a tribute will remain to those who have dedicated two years of their lives to this issue, and people will be able to see what they said and did.

Barry

Post ReThe Chelsea Pensioners 
With regard to the photo of the three Chelsea Pensioners and with reference to their Commading Officer if it is still unchanged from last year, he has the right to a PJM himself having served in the 1st Bn Scots Guards in 28 Com Inf Brigade based in Terendak Malacca plus 2 tours of Borneo Sarawak and Sabah.
I know I was there.

Cameron Buchanan

Post Re: ReThe Chelsea Pensioners 
chbuc wrote:
With regard to the photo of the three Chelsea Pensioners and with reference to their Commading Officer if it is still unchanged from last year, he has the right to a PJM himself having served in the 1st Bn Scots Guards in 28 Com Inf Brigade based in Terendak Malacca plus 2 tours of Borneo Sarawak and Sabah.
I know I was there.

Cameron Buchanan

Interesting story Cameron, It is possible the chelsea pensioners C/O was also present at the first PJM presentation in London last July.

Was he one of the three other Generals present that day mentioned in the newspaper article, and did the three pensioners ask their C/O for permission to wear the PJM medals while getting their photograph taken for the Daily Express? I notice Lord Bramall never wore his PJM medalfor the newspaper, but prefered to be photographed holding the medal in it's box.

Post GLOman wrote: 
Quote:
GLOman wrote;
interest in our lives.

David....self professed 'latecomer' you may be...but a diligent and effective lobbyist you most certainly are! ...I urge all 'latecomers' to do a search on posts by 'GLOman' and see just what can be accomplished with a bit of effort....we'll be glad to sign on all the 'latecomers' we can get if 'GLOman's work is in any way indicative of the standard...

Post How far have we come? 
Embarassed

Last edited by StanW on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Jock,

Although I appreciate the thought behind your words, there are a number of newcomers
who might have interpreted your words as a personal criticism rather than an encouragement
to greater efforts. I have recently been in contact with one or two who are giving as much support,
and posts as they feel they are able - not much point in creating a post if you haven't an
opinion to give. The fact that they registered is important - participation is secondary.

Please accept this post, as it is meant, with the utmost goodwill,

Yours sincerely,

David

StanW: Please pick up your ball and come back!

Post Mea Culpa... 
David.....thank you......I appreciate your admonishment and agree with your reservations....Of course, it was not my intention to level criticism, of any kind, at any member...It's difficult to remember that, when posting, the words one writes with the finest of motives, may sometimes be interpreted to mean something radically different to the reader, than that which was intended by the writer.

My post was intended to provide nothing more than an exhortation to all members to actively participate in the lobbying process to the best of their ability...providing positive, activist role models is conducive toward that end...Membership, as you point out, is fundamental and our membership continues to grow (which fact fills me with glee!).

To any member who may have interpreted my remarks on the exemplary lobbying demonstrated by GLOman as a slight upon their own efforts, I offer my unreserved apology.

In retrospect, I could (and probably should) have phrased my posting differently. In future, I shall try harder.

In the hope that this explanation will suffice?

Jock. PAX; from me, thanks,

Regards,

David

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1