Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
When is a medal not a medal, that is the question?
Post When is a medal not a medal, that is the question? 
When is a medal not a medal?

If something looks like a fish, it smells like and swims like a fish then in all probability it is a fish!

If something looks like a shiney medal, if it feels like a medal and if it is to be worn as medals usually are then in all probability it is a medal

.........but if a civil servant decides otherwise then they need their bleedin' heads read
Rolling Eyes

Post Re: When is a medal not a medal, that is the question? 
John Cooper wrote:
When is a medal not a medal?

If something looks like a fish, it smells like and swims like a fish then in all probability it is a fish!

If something looks like a shiney medal, if it feels like a medal and if it is to be worn as medals usually are then in all probability it is a medal

.........but if a civil servant decides otherwise then they need their bleedin' heads read
Rolling Eyes
John, I think you mean they need their heads red and bleedin!!! Regards, Dave

MORNIN DAVE,SEE YOU'VE BEEN SHARPENING YOUR CUTLASS AGAIN Exclamation

The Ministry of Defence, namely one Richard Coney informed me that the PJM was a Keepsake and I quote from his email to me on 7th August 2006

For the record, I did not imply that the medal is a “trinket”, and I would never refer to it as such. However, the fact remains that the medal has not been authorised for wear, as veterans have been aware for the last six months, following the Written Ministerial Statement released by the FCO on 31st January 2006. The terms “souvenir” and “keepsake” are not derogatory, though it would appear that you interpret them as such.
The definition of a medal can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medal

I then quote from this article from Wikipedia:

Sometimes medals to commemorate specific events, including military victories, were commissioned, and from this grew the military medal which later became an object to be worn, normally only given to military participants.

So what are these people in the MoD, FCO, HD Committee trying to prove, they are clearly living on a distant planet very remote from the real world

Yours Aye

Arthur

MORNIN DAVE,SEE YOU'VE BEEN SHARPENING YOUR CUTLASS AGAIN Exclamation
Of course Pete! I always keep my equipment and myself sharp and well oiled, you never know when you may need to give some recalcitrant faecal virus a sharp reminder of what is acceptable to the citizens of our beautiful country, when they attempt to smear with sh*t, all which is good and right, and everyone who believes in such. To quote one of our most famous ex-servicemen, " they don't like it up 'em you know!" More to follow later, Regards, Dave.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1