Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Sandra Gidley MP
Post Sandra Gidley MP 
Thie item from the MPs own web site.

(well done to all)

PEOPLE AND PATRIOTS BEFORE PROTOCOL SAYS SANDRA GIDLEY MP
12.00.00am UTC (GMT +0000) Tue 16th Jan 2007

Sandra Gidley, MP for Romsey, has written to the Queen backing a campaign, by service veterans, to be allowed to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM). The PJM is a commemorative medal which the Government of Malaysia would like to award eligible British Citizens for their service in Malaya or Malaysia between 31 August 1957 and 12 August 1966.

While the Queen approved the recommendation of the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals, that British citizens may accept the award, however did not also give formal permission for the PJM to be worn. Our service veteran's counterparts in Australia and New Zealand are able to do so.

Sandra says, "This is a classic case of putting protocol before people. The Government claim that it is long standing policy that non-British medals will not be approved for events or service if the events are in the distant past or if the recipient has received a British medal for the same service. However, exceptions have been made to this rule which appears to be somewhat arbitrary.

"I have a letter from Ian McCartney, Minister for Trade and Foreign Affairs. It gives the strong impression that he has some sympathy with the campaigners as he ends by pointing out that the wearing of non-British awards is not policed, and it is a matter for the individual concerned whether they wear a non-British award without authority. I understand that some veterans are planning to do just this but people who are used to military discipline generally prefer to obey rules. It seems to me to be petty beyond belief that people who have been awarded a medal for service are not allowed to wear it because the medal isn't British! I thought we had moved beyond that sort of jingoism.

ENDS

Notes to Editor

Copies of the letter to the Queen and the letter from the minister are available on request.

Sandra is one of 65 MP's who has signed EDM 375 on the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal. The text is below.

That this House applauds the generous gesture by the King and Government of Malaysia in the award of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal to British citizens for service in the Malayan Emergency; notes that Her Majesty The Queen has been graciously pleased to approve the recommendation of the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals that British citizens may accept the award; is, however, surprised that the Committee did not recommend that British citizens receiving the award should also be able to wear it; is deeply embarrassed that the Australian and New Zealand veterans of the Emergency may both receive and wear the medal; invites the Committee to reconsider the matter, bearing in mind the diminishing number of those who gave valuable service between 31st August 1957 and 12th August 1966; believes that this is a pre-eminent case for an exception to the long-standing Government policy enunciated in the written Ministerial Statement of 31st January 2006; and urges Her Majesty's Ministers to ensure that a further recommendation is made to Her Majesty, but this time one which takes full account of the generosity of a fellow Commonwealth country, the merits of the case, and the deep sense of hurt felt by British veterans, rather than being based upon a slavish observance of precedent.

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

An MP who does things.

We need more MPs like Sandra.

Her web site is at.....

http://www.sandragidley.org/

I sent a thank you to Sandra ref her Radio Solent interview and got the following reply.

( Thank you - I thought you might like to know that I have followed up on my promise to write to the Queen.

Yours sincerely
Sandra Gidley )

Bill Blyth.

PS a nice lady.

........and isn't it refreshing to know that Sandra is taking up a cause that isn't necessarily all about her own constituents, fantastic Sandra, you must be in with a chance of The Flavour of the Month award Smile

Post Sandra Gidley's letter to HMQ. 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Re: Sandra Gidley's letter to HMQ. 
MB wrote:
Flavour of the month, John?

Consider it my flavour of the year, Sandra! Last year and this.

Mike Barton...an old veteran wot is in love again.

I agree with your sentiments Mike but there is another Lady who might be in with a shout, isn't that right Ma'am
Rolling Eyes

I can think of some Aerosols of the Month award too but I will let these lie low for the time being. All in all it has been a great start to The New Year, may it continue, that of course is down to 8 men who can bow to our wishes or continue the fight, their choice Confused

Post Another Ma,am with a shout. 

Last edited by MB on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Very Happy MB & JC - I agree with your sentiments regarding "Another M'am".

JC - that should frighten the suits - perhaps they'll think we got him on our side too!

Just to bring this to the top again as I do believe that Sandras website has been updated, anyway well done Sandra........................

http://www.sandragidley.org/news/000044.html?PHPSESSID=6a707a9b1330e5fbb5d89ad64f94260e

Post Sandra Gidley 
The attached went off today - I will post her reply when I receive it.

I received the following on Tuesday - I've been offline since then. As soon as her reply arrives I will post it here.

Quote:
Thank you for getting in touch. It is a shame I will not be able to meet
you but I will respond more fully by post

Yours sincerely

Sandra Gidley MP
House of Commons
London
SW1A 1AA

Westminster tel: 020 7219 5986
Westminster fax: 020 7219 2324
Constituency tel: 01794 511900
Constituency fax: 01794 512538
Pager: 07699 704756

Post Sandra Gidley 
I'm still waiting for a reply to the above posted on 01 November. I shall give out the gentle nudge.

Well said Tony, brilliant piece of lobbying............

Reply to topic Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next