Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
What about the Vets...........
Post What about the Vets........... 
..............that do not read newspapers, do not have access to the Web, how are these men and women to know that they are entitled to a PJM medal. I suppose they 'dip out' Confused

Post What about the vets?... 
Your point is well taken John...

In my own case, living in Canada, I was totally unaware until October 10th 2005 that there even was a PJM...And only found that out by the most tenuous of links...I had casually mentioned (over a pint!) to an acquaintance that, in my youth, I was a member of 'the forgotten Army'...couple of days later he e-mailed me a copy of a BBC News site story entitled 'Malaya veterans fight to wear a medal'...that story made me so damned mad that I started my own letter writing campaign that day...shortly thereafter I read Gerry Law's submission on the 'theyworkforyou' link and that put me in touch with this site.

Hopefully, through our concerted efforts, we will raise public awareness and many more of our comrades will discover that they too have a stake in this?

Up until May 05 I was completely oblivious to the PJM award and it was only because a fellow FEAF member saw the NMBVA site neither of us would have been aware. I wonder if for example the RBL and RAFA and RNA have advised their members of this award

On all my dealings with the Veterans Agency at Norcross, Blackpool and my War Pension all I have to do is quote my National Insurance Number on the FREEPHONE, they have all my Medical and RAF records to hand when discussing anything, so why cannot they just type in Malaya/Borneo/Singapore/Brunei 1957-1966 to find who served there rather than go through the various Vets Associations.

As George F has said a lot of Ships Logs are missing so they might not have those.

Because I was hospitalised quite a bit in FEAF all the dates on my medical records are shown when I was sent to SSQ at Seletar or to the BMH at Changi, and that certainly covered more than 90 continuous days

In my case,The squadron I was serving with have a re-union every year(September)I will certainly spread the gospel.
Rgds Ray

I WAS NOT AWARE OF "THE PJM" UNTIL LAST WEEK, WHEN MY WIFE GAVE ME A CUTTING FROM A LOCAL NEWSPAPER, SO I FOUND THE WEBSITE REGISTERED AND PRINTED OFF A CLAIM FORM.
IVE FILLED IN THE FORM AND APPLIED FOR THE MEDAL.
HOPE I CAN HAVE IT, I SERVED IN TAMPIN, AND IPOH FROM JULY 1958 UNTIL AUG 1961 : Smile

Welcome aboard John, hope you find the site interesting and informative Smile

I DO FIND THE SITE INTERESTING AND IMFORMATIVE, I HAVE JUST CONTACTED ANOTHER MALAYAN VET, AND TOLD HIM OF THE "PJM",HE ALSO HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF IT.

THANKS AGAIN Very Happy

I HAVE JUST CONTACTED ANOTHER MALAYAN VET, AND TOLD HIM OF THE "PJM",HE ALSO HAD NO KNOWLEDGE OF IT.

John - Welcome ... and thanks taking the time and trouble to support the PJM cause and for spreading the word. Barry aka admin!

THANKS BARRY, DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO CONTACT THE VARIOUS TELEVISION COMPANYS, STATIONS - IE: TYNE TEES TV, YORKSHIRE TV, GRAMPIAN TV, ETC: ETC: JUST TO READ OUT A FEW LINES, TO SPREAD THE GOSPEL ? JUST AN IDEA.
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

JOHN Question Very Happy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1