Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
The Promise of a PJM Review
Laughing Good news Barry, and in my next comment I am not belittling the news "A good Christmas present but one we can not open yet" . Also Martin Ratia (MR) has posted a message to you on the 208 message board, but I cannot find it on this site (thread)

I have just emailed Messrs Benyon and Harper thanking them for their support.

Very good news.

I have just emailed Messrs Benyon and Harper thanking them for their support.

Great stuff, Laurie.

And a message coming from you in Malaysia will be all the more telling. They will be pleased to hear from you.

Come on PJMers ... follow Laurie's example and drop them a Thank You note:

harperm@parliament.uk (emailing him will enable you to voice support to a future Minister who can make a difference).

benyonr@parliament.uk My MP - he'd like to hear from you ... just click here (well, there ... at the beginning of this sentence) and tell him how you feel.

Thanks,

Barry

Post Some unselfish support... 
Here's one from an unsung hero of this campaign (certainly, one who is too modest to sing his own praises - so I'll happily do so for him!) .....let me point out to all and sundry that the Reverend is not, himself, eligible for the PJM...but he knows injustice when he sees it...he's a man of few words, but clearly not one to shrink from a fight!
'Jock'
==========================================================================

To: denis.brennan@cabinet-office.x.gsi.gov.uk
Sent: Thursday, 9 November, 2006 2:26:53 PM
Subject: Wearing the PJM

Sir, Would you kindly clarify the double standards employed by you in refusing to allow our veterans to wear the PJM. The Russian 40th Anniversary Medal was allowed to be worn as was the Malta 50th GC Anniversary Medal, both double medals, WHY NOT THE PJM,
you do not have an answer except of course you are trying to 'save face'.
yours in disgust,
Rev, D.F.Morgan,

Post Re: Some unselfish support... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Here's one from an unsung hero of this campaign (certainly, one who is too modest to sing his own praises - so I'll happily do so for him!) .....let me point out to all and sundry that the Reverend is not, himself, eligible for the PJM...but he knows injustice when he sees it...he's a man of few words, but clearly not one to shrink from a fight!

Jock,

Brilliant, unselfish, support. It is very humbling to read about the unsing heroes who are working so hard to help us get that mean-spirited Ministerial Statement overturned. Thye are an inspiration.

Please relay to the Rev Morgan our deep appreciation for what he is doing.

Barry

Can you imagine a committee of 8 anglican Bishops State ' The fact that God gave Moses the 10 commandments does not mean that the Anglican Clergy will teach one of any of these commandments in future Church sermons.

A story about the Ten Commandments…

The Archbishop of Canterbury came to our local church and we also invited the Chief Rabbi. As they were leaving, an altercation broke out – the two men had clearly fallen out.

The Chief Rabbi was overheard accusing the Archbishop “And you … you stole our Ten Commandments!”

Responded the Archbishop “Maybe we did … but we never kept’em!”

Post Re: The Promise of a PJM Review 
George F wrote:
179 signatures, could we get 200 for the new Year, or is this the last before the Xmas holidays begin?

George,

The latest news as at 19/12/2006 is on http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8332#8332.

We have a lot of support from MPs who do not, or cannot, sign EDMs. EDMs are rallying points. I have no doubt at all about the feeling in Parliament.

Barry

Post More support ? 
I have just received this email from Dr Caroline Lucas MEP.

Dear Tony,

Many thanks for your letter, by fax, of December 8th. Please excuse the delay in responding, which has been caused by staff sickness.

I know very little of the procedures and practices by which the bravery and commitment of individuals within the armed services are recognised. However, it does seem manifestly unjust that those who have been awarded a medal, as you describe, are being denied the right to wear it. It seems important in the first instance to understand why such a decision has been reached, so I shall be writing to the Minister responsible to seek clarification. You will be aware that as a Member of the European Parliament I have no influence over UK government matters or indeed those related to the Commonwealth. Nevertheless, rest assured I will do as much as I can to challenge any wrongdoing or discrimination. I will notify you as soon as I have received a response from the government and, at the same time, will advise you on how, if at all, I think this matter can be taken further.

Thank you for taking the time to raise this case with me and I apologise again for the delay in getting back to you.

Yours sincerely,

Dr Caroline Lucas MEP

Cath Miller
Constituency Co-ordinator and Researcher
Office of Dr Caroline Lucas MEP
Suite 58 The Hop Exchange
24 Southwark Street
London SE1 1TY

Phone: 02074076281 Fax: 02072340183
Email: carolinelucas@greenmeps.org.uk

Thanks for that Tony, I think Caroline has hit the nail on the head there and I have replied with an email of thanks to the lady Smile

Post Re: More support ? 
Kentsboro wrote:

Thank you for your contuing lobbying, Tony. It is particualrly important at this critical time for the campaig.

Dr Lucas is a woman of integrity - personally, I admire her stance on many issues that affect the environment, animals, health, and the more sinister aspects of globalisation.

But as this is an apolitical Forum, I shall focus on the PJM when I write to thank her for looking into our case.

Barry

Post Re: More support ? 
Kentsboro wrote:

Herewith my Billy Doo to Caroline:

----- Forwarded by Barry Fleming/BAFleming on 31/01/2007 11:31 -----

31/01/2007 11:19
To: carolinelucas@greenmeps.org.uk

Subject: Pingat Jasa Malaysia

Dear Dr Lucas,

I am writing as a British veteran entitled to the Pingat Jasa Malaysia to thank you for taking the time and trouble to look into our case - we are campaigning for the right to wear the award.

I was presented with my medal by the Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister but, unhappily, I cannot wear it. The Queen has given approval to all my ex-comrades in arms with whom I served in the Commonwealth Brigade in Malaysia (Australians and New Zealanders) to wear their medal, but not to me or my fellow Britons. I cannot see any justification for that.

If a soldier cannot wear a medal, it is reduced to the status of a souvenir, a trinket, and that is a snub to both Malaysia and the Britons who served there to protect their newly independent country during Malaysia's first nine years. Those operations were very successful (they constitute the only successful campaign against terror and aggression) because they were based on working with the local people and were specifically designed to minimise casualties amongst civilians and amongst combatants from all sides.

The FCO and MoD will tell you that it's really OK if we wear the medal on the grounds that wearing of medals is not a crime and is not policed. They will be misleading you and their statement is tantamount to inviting British veterans to cause difficulties for The Queen. The Queen was advised to approve acceptance of the PJM by British citizens "on condition that it is not worn". Furthermore an MoD directive specifically states that if ex-Service personnel wear an unauthorised medal, it will be a grave discourtesy to the Queen.

British veterans, based on years of discipline and loyalty to The Queen, police themselves and will not do anything knowingly to cause offence to Her. Thus the hope that the civil servants nurture that we will be happy with our souvenir and that we'll "fade away" are dashed. We shall fight until this flawed recommendation is amended.

Having considered the facts rather than the myths put our by a small number of civil servants in the MoD and FCO, over 200 MPs have signed EDMs supporting the PJM case - 391 signatures from all parties. All Shadow Defence Teams support us. The Defence Minister (Veterans Affairs) in office at the time of the discredited PJM recommendation, Don Touhig, changed his views while in office and has tabled an EDM making the case for the PJM to be worn.

We have supporters throughout the UK and around the world - in fact, our Fight4thePJM Lapel Pin has been ordered from 30 countries on 5 continents.

BBC Radio Solent (in your area, and in the heartland of Royal Navy, Royal Marine, Army and Royal Air Force bases) was so stunned by the Government's 'incongruous decision' and the support we have attracted as evidenced by 100% of their listeners agreeing with our case, that they are going to take a People's Petition to the Foreign office and Cabinet Office.

And while all that has been going on, the Scottish Parliament Public Petitions Committee has written to Westminster asking for an explanation as to why a recommendation was made in the way it was.

All these people cannot be wrong and three or four civil servants 'right'. The problem we have is that civil servants do not like being questioned and so on the Veterans Agency web site they call us "disaffected individuals". I wonder if they would call "disaffected" those of our supporters who are widows and wish to wear their husband's medal with the Queen's approval that She has given to widows in Australia and New Zealand.

Again, thank you for giving our case a fair hearing.

With kind regards,

Barry
- - - - - - - - - - -
Barry Fleming
Fighting for the Right to Wear the PJM at
W: http://www.fight4thePJM.org
E: mailto:barry@fight4thePJM.org
"Pingat Kami - Hak Kami"

Stockbridge Cottage
Inkpen Common
Inkpen
Hungerford
Berks
RG17 9QP
United Kingdom

T: 01488 668 100

Post Soldiers of the Queen 
Somebody wrote on the website a little while back, what about a suitable March tune for the PJMers.

We already have one, but very few people actually know the words. The March was written by Leslie Stuart, celebrating the opening of Manchester Ship Canal and the words were added at a later date. It is the theme for the closing credits of the film Breaker Morant. The words are indeed appropriate to us.

Britain's always loyally declaim
About the way we rule the waves
Every Briton's song is just the same
When singing of her soldiers brave
All the world that's heard it
Wonders why we sing
Some have learned the reason why
We're not forgetting it
We're not letting it
Fade away and gradually die
Fade away and gradually die

So when we say that England's master
Remember who has made it so
It's the soldiers of the Queen, my lad
Who've seen, my lad, who've been my lad
In the fight for England's glory, lad
Of it's worldwide glory let us sing
And when they say we've always won
And when they ask us how it's done
We'll proudly point to every one
Of England's soldiers of the Queen.

Yours Aye

Arthur

With respect Arthur....the second verse of your 'March of the PJM'mers' appears to exclude the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish, the Kiwis, the Aussies, the Gurkhas...not to mention the Malaysians...

We march to the tune, not the words, Jock. Another fine marching tune, that we have all marched to, is The Old Comrades March, by Karl Teige. Or to give it it's correct title Alte Kamaraden. The words are excellent, but it was adopted by the Waffen SS, so would that seem appropriate?

Just to point out a little interesting snippet, we all served her Majesty the Queen, who happens to live in England, and so is the paymaster General, who paid all of our wages.

Besides, it is the tune that matters, not words. I only included them, because most people know the tune but not the words. After all, didn't Lili Marlene get played on both sides during the second world war and that was a German song.

Not having a dig Jock, just making an observation, which you can accept or reject at you leisure.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Arthur...My Dear Chap....no more was I 'having a dig'....it's difficult sometimes to indicate that a comment is 'tongue in cheek' whilst posting on a Forum....Was only attempting to be mildly facetious (and apparently failing miserably).

No matter what the tune...rest assured that I am, figuratively speaking, always marching with you, head held high and hopefully in step!

Given our difficulties with'the Suits'...perhaps 'Colonel Bogey' (risque version) might be highly appropriate??

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next