Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Contact with MPs
Post Email Addresses of MOs Part 3 
G'day folks,

Do you want to write to the big wheels only? Try this List then.

Its a bit harder to pull them out of this list though. Go to it.

Looking for email addresses? Here are the ones to use for the hierarchy. Note, only the House of Common's addresses are used.

The Cabinet

Prime Minister, First Lord of the Treasury and Minister for the Civil Service The Rt Hon Tony Blair MP – Blaira@parliament.uk or Blairt@parliament.uk

Deputy Prime Minister and First Secretary of State The Rt Hon John Prescott MP - prescottj@parliament.uk

Chancellor of the Exchequer The Rt Hon Gordon Brown MP – browng@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs The Rt Hon Jack Straw MP -strawj@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions The Rt Hon David Blunkett MP - plunkettd@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs The Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP - beckettm@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Transport, and Secretary of State for Scotland The Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP - darlinga@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Defence The Rt Hon Dr John Reid MP - reidj@parliament.uk

Lord Privy Seal and Leader of the House of Commons The Rt Hon Geoff Hoon MP - hoong@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Health The Rt Hon Patricia Hewitt MP - hewittp@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport The Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP - jowellt@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Chief Whip The Rt Hon Hilary Armstrong MP _ armstrongh@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for the Home Department The Rt Hon Charles Clarke MP - clarkec@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, and Secretary of State for Wales The Rt Hon Peter Hain MP - hainp@parliament.uk

Minister without Portfolio The Rt Hon Ian McCartney MP - mccartneyi@parliament.uk

Leader of the House of Lords and Lord President of the Council The Rt Hon Baroness Amos -

Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs and Lord Chancellor The Rt Hon Lord Falconer of Thoroton QC

Secretary of State for International Development The Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP - bennh@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Trade and Industry The Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP johnsona@parliament.uk

Secretary of State for Education and Skills The Rt Hon Ruth Kelly MP - kellyr@parliament.uk

Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (Minister for the Cabinet Office) The Rt Hon John Hutton MP -huttonj@parliament.uk

Chief Secretary to the Treasury The Rt Hon Des Browne MP - browned@parliament.uk

Minister of Communities and Local Government The Rt Hon David Miliband MP - milibandd@parliament.uk

Also attending Cabinet

Chief Whip, Lords, Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms The Rt Hon Lord Grocott

Attorney General The Rt Hon Lord Goldsmith QC

Minister of State for Europe in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office The Rt Hon Douglas Alexander MP - alexanderd@parliament.uk

Ministers by Department (excluding Cabinet Ministers and Ministers attending Cabinet) Law Officers

Solicitor General Mike O'Brien MP – o’brienm@parliament.uk

Advocate General for Scotland Baroness Clark QC

Office of the Deputy Prime Minister

Minister of State Yvette Cooper MP - coopery@parliament.uk

Phil Woolas MP - woolasp@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Jim Fitzpatrick MP - fitzpatrickj@parliament.uk

Baroness Andrews OBE

Cabinet Office

Parliamentary Secretary Jim Murphy MP - murphyj@parliament.uk

HM Treasury

Paymaster General The Rt Hon Dawn Primarolo MP - Primarolo d@parliament.uk

Financial Secretary John Healey MP - healyj@parliament.uk

Economic Secretary Ivan Lewis MP - lewisi@parliament.uk

Office of the Leader of the House of Commons

Deputy Leader of the House of Commons (Parliamentary Secretary) Nigel Griffiths MP - griffithsn@parliament.uk

Department for Constitutional Affairs

Minister of State The Rt Hon Harriet Harman QC MP harmanh@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Baroness Ashton of Upholland@parliament.uk

Bridget Prentice MP - prenticeb@parliament.uk@parliament.uk

Foreign and Commonwealth Office

Minister for the Middle East Dr Kim Howells MP - howellsk@parliament.uk

Minister for Trade (also DTI) Ian Pearson MP - pearsoni@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Lord Triesman

Home Office

Minister of State The Rt Hon Hazel Blears MP - blearsh@parliament.uk

The Rt Hon Baroness Scotland of Asthal QC

Tony McNulty MP – mcnultyt@parliament.uk or mcnuktya@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Paul Goggins MP - gogginsp@parliament.uk

Fiona Mactaggart MP - mactaggartf@parliament.uk

Andy Burnham MP - burnhama@parliament.uk

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

Minister of State Elliot Morley MP - morleye@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Ben Bradshaw MP - bradshawb@parliament.uk

Lord Bach

Jim Knight MP - knightj@parliament.uk

Department for International Development

Parliamentary Secretary Gareth Thomas MP - thomasg@parliament.uk
Department for Work and Pensions

Minister of State (Work) The Rt Hon Margaret Hodge MP MBE - hodgem@parliament.uk

Minister of State (Pensions) Stephen Timms MP - timmss@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Lord Hunt of Kingsheath OBE

Anne McGuire MP - mcguirea@parliament.uk

James Plaskitt MP - plaskitt@parliament.uk

Department for Transport

Minister of State Dr Stephen Ladyman MP - ladymans@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Derek Twigg MP - twiggd@parliament.uk

Karen Buck MP - buckk@parliament.uk

Department of Health

Minister of State Rosie Winterton MP - wintertonr@parliament.uk

The Rt Hon Jane Kennedy MP - kennedyj@parliament.uk

Lord Warner

Parliamentary Secretary Caroline Flint MP - flintc@parliament.uk

Liam Byrne MP - byrnel@parliament.uk

Northern Ireland Office

Minister of State

Lord Rooker

David Hanson MP - hansond@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Angela Smith MP - smitha@parliament.uk

Shaun Woodward MP - woodwards@parliament.uk

Ministry of Defence

Minister of State The Rt Hon Adam Ingram MP - ingrama@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Don Touhig MP - Touhigd@parliament.uk

Lord Drayson

Scotland Office

Parliamentary Secretary David Cairns MP - cairnsd@parliament.uk

Department for Trade and Industry

Minister of State The Rt Hon Alun Michael MP - michaela@parliament.uk

Minister for Energy Malcolm Wicks MP - wicksm@parliament.uk

Minister for Trade (also FCO) Ian Pearson MP - pearsoni@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Gerry Sutcliffe MP - sutcliffeg@parliament.uk

Barry Gardiner MP - gardinerb@parliament.uk

Lord Sainsbury of Turville

Meg Munn MP (Reporting to the Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP on equality issues) - jowellt@parliament.uk

Department for Education and Skills

Minister of State (Schools) The Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP - smithj@parliament.uk

Minister of State (Universities) Bill Rammell MP – rammellw@parliament.uk or rammellw@parliament.uk

Minister of State (Children) The Rt Hon Beverley Hughes MP - hughesb@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary Maria Eagle MP - eaglem@parliament.uk

Phil Hope MP - hopep@parliament.uk

Andrew Adonis - adonisa@parliament.uk

Department for Culture, Media and Sport

Minister of State The Rt Hon Richard Caborn MP - cabornr@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Secretary David Lammy MP - lammyd@parliament.uk

James Purnell MP - punellj@parliament.uk

Wales Office

Parliamentary Secretary Nick Ainger MP - aingern@parliament.uk

House Of Lords

Deputy Chief Whip (Captain of the Queen's Bodyguard of the Yeomen of the Guard)

Lord Davies of Oldham

Government Whip (Lord or Baroness in Waiting)

Baroness Farrington of Ribbleton

Lord Bassam of Brighton

Baroness Crawley

Lord Evans of Temple Guiting CBE

Lord McKenzie of Luton[1]

Baroness Royall of Blaisdon
House Of Commons

Deputy Chief Whip, Commons (Treasurer of Her Majesty's Household) Rt Hon Bob Ainsworth MP – ainsworthb@parliament.uk or ainsworthr@parliament.uk

Government Whip, Commons (Comptroller of Her Majesty's Household) Rt Hon Thomas McAvoy MP - mcavoyt@parliament.uk

Government Whip, Commons (Vice Chamberlain of Her Majesty's Household) John Heppell MP - heppellj@parliament.uk

Government Whip, Commons (Lord Commissioners of Her Majesty's Treasury) Gillian Merron MP - merrong@parliament.uk

Vernon Coaker MP - coakerv@parliament.uk

Tom Watson MP - watsont@parliament.uk

Dave Watts MP - wattsd@parliament.uk

Joan Ryan MP - ryanj@parliament.uk

Assistant Government Whip, House of Commons Frank Roy MP - royf@parliament.uk

Ian Cawsey MP - cawseyi@parliament.uk

Alan Campbell MP - campbella@parliament.uk

Claire Ward MP - wardc@parliament.uk

Parmjit Dhanda MP - dhandap@parliament.uk

Tony Cunningham MP – cunninghamt@parliament.uk or cunninghama@parliament.uk

Kevin Brennan MP - brennank@parliament.uk

Parliamentary Private Secretary To The Prime Minister The Rt Hon Keith Hill MP - hillk@parliament.uk

Post Email Addresses of the Dishonourable Honours Committee 
Can someone please post the email addresses of the Dishonourable Committee who made this dishonourable decision please?

Iceni - thanks for the links. Brilliant work. I'll place them on our Links page as soon as I return to the office on Thursday.

Post Re: Answer to BarryF 
mcdangle wrote:

Sorry you got 'thumped' by a KOSB in the ring.
Christine Graham MSP met up with ex-KOSB Malaya veterans in Hawick recently to discuss the PJM and I believe she is sympathetic to our cause. Perhaps someone could get in touch with her.

Yes - so am I. Happily, I can't remember too much about it - it was a great punch that floored me.

I'll contact Christine Graham MSP - thanks.

Just type in your UK Post Code here http://www.writetothem.com/

There's always an exception to every rule George and don't we all know it!
Rolling Eyes

Post Another submission wings its way 
I have just sent an email to Lord Garden. He was Chief of Air Staff until his retirement and he also has a foreign decoration (Legion d'Honneur).
My Lord
As a former member of the Royal Air Force, as am I, I would like to enlist your support for a campaign to allow unrestricted acceptance of this medal. The PJM was instituted by the Malaysian Government in 2004 and they offered it to all Commonwealth ex-service personnel who served during the Malaya Emergency/Borneo Confrontation.
The Australian and New Zealand Governments, who broke away from the British Honours and Awards selection procedure some years ago, immediately recommended that Her Majesty approve the unrestricted acceptance of the award to all of their veterans. Our own Government initially categorically refused the offer (Baroness Symons in a statement to the Lords in October 2005).
Following intense lobbying, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office asked the HD Committee to reconsider the rules that applied to the acceptance of this medal. Their decision, announced earlier this month, was that the veterans could accept, but not wear, the medal (statement made by Ian Pearson to the Commons). Thus we have the anomalous situation in which Her Majesty has been advised to authorise unrestricted acceptance for one group of her subjects and limited acceptance for the others.
This does a serious disservice to the credibility of Her Majesty, to whom we veterans swore an Oath of Allegiance so many years ago. None of the qualifying veterans are now serving, so there can be no fear of upsetting military protocol by allowing this medal to be worn at all future events. This decision is, at one stroke, an insult to the service rendered by the British veterans and also a grave snub to the Agong, Government and peoples of Malaysia.
The conflicts under consideration were fierce and conducted in the most hostile of environments. It remains the only success against a terrorist war, and against attempts at Communist domination of the region. The Dutch, French and Americans all failed in their former colonies to stem these activities in the Dutch East Indies, Indo-China and Viet Nam. At a time when we are being exhorted to back "the war on terrorism", it is immoral to treat those who have shown success in such a shameful manner.
I note that in addition to your peerage, you are also permitted to wear the CB, KCB and the French Legion d'Honneur. I'm sure that you are as proud of the foreign honour as you are of the British honours, and rightly so. All that we veterans are asking for is that we are permitted to wear the PJM with pride alongside any British medals that we also have the honour to wear. It will be unforgivable if British veterans, on parade with their Australian and New Zealand comrades, are seen as second class veterans.
All of this comes at the time that Gordon Brown has announced a "National Veteran's Day" at which the nation's ex service personnel will be honoured, and veterans presented with medals. I have to ask - what medals? His colleagues in government have forbidden us to wear the PJM, so will he pin such on to the breast of a veteran, but with the admonishment never to wear it? The Government has behaved in a reprehensible manner and it needs the integrity of those who know what it is to serve the nation in uniform, to put right this dreadful injustice. There is a web site to co-ordinate the efforts of the veterans campaign and can be found at www.fight4thePJM.org. We would be honoured to count you as a supporter of our cause.

Brilliant - an excellent letter. It's submissions like that that we need. Let's hope it inspires others to write similarly.

Post Lord Tim Gardner 
Attached is a reply from Lord Gardner. Not what I'd hoped for, but at least he responded, and quickly too. wasn't aware of the restriction on the Legion d'Honnerur - perhaps we can campaign for recofnition of that when we've won this one.
Gerald

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry that this is not a cause that I feel that I would wish to support. There are many restrictions about the wearing of medals, and the UK has always taken a purist approach. I am afraid that I support the Government line on this.

Tim Garden

ps. I am not allowed by Her Majesty to wear the Legion d'Honneur except on French territory!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Garden KCB

Lib Dem Defence spokesman

House of Lords

SW1A 0PW

=

You have extracted a very interesting comment - from a peer of the realm. He states that he supports the British 'purist' policy. The point he has missed is that this is not a Foreign Award issued to individuals (as is his Legion D'Honneur). This is about a Commonwealth award to Commonwealth forces. Should I stuff my wearable United Nations Medal in my bottom drawer because it is not British. As a purist, he should say 'Yes'. I know where I'd like to stuff it!

He says nothing about The Queen allowing other Commonwealth citizens to wear the PJM and gives no rational explanation as to why British citizens cannot despite being the only ones to have fought in every area of Malaysia throughout the whole of the period. We fought side by side with our Commonwealth friends and allies - we should be able to wear the PJM.

Is it Lib Dem policy to preserve privilege for their 'peers' (every pun intended) to the detriment of the people who have no such privilege and who are set aside as second class citizens when compared with their Commonwealth allies?

The speed of his reply is itself a damning condemnation of all that he stands for. "Don't need to think about this one, chaps ... something foreign, ain't it?"!

Gerald,

Is it Lib Dem policy to preserve privilege for their 'peers' (every pun intended) to the detriment of the people who have no such privilege and who are set aside as second class citizens when compared with their Commonwealth allies?

The speed of his reply is itself a damning condemnation of all that he stands for. "Don't need to think about this one, chaps ... something foreign, ain't it?"!

............"What men value in this world is not rights but privileges".
- Henry Louis Mencken

'Jock'

Post High ranking officers 
George
I take your point about the apparent futility of approaching high ranking ex officers, especially when they have been awarded peerages. On both counts they are bound to the Establishment, and so will preserve the status quo in order to prevent the peasants from getting uppity. I did think long and hard about approaching Lord Gardner and in the end thought that it was an avenue worth venturing down. It has ended in a cul de sac. No problem. We now know that approaching these sort of people is probably not going to get us support from them but at least we will get to know who our friends are when the politicos come asking for our votes. Who knows - perhaps we will end up with a single issue party pf our own. Won't get many votes but with a little bit of strategic selection of marginal seats, might just remove a few complacent bums from their comfortable green leather seats in Westminster.
Gerald

Have been following your recent posts re. correspondence with the peerage with much interest..and I concur that our mutual interests will probably best be served by concentrating the focus on Parliamentary individuals....just one thing...is 'someone' actually maintaing some kind of a roster as to which MP's etc. have expressed their opinions 'for us or agin us'? Such a list was mentioned by Gerry and it occurs to me that such data might come in extremely useful, 'farther down the road'?

Maybe we should consider mounting a thread displaying such data?

'Jock'.

George, Gerry, Barry...

Maybe we should consider mounting a thread displaying such data?

'Jock'.

Dunnit, Jock.

This is a great idea. It would help our cause if readers can take just a few moments to let us know the name of their MP and whether he or she supports us.

Post Not an MP but maybe... 
I've just emailed Simon Weston, the Falklands Welsh Guardsman who was badly burned on the Sir Galahad.
Dear Mr Weston
I am writing to you as one ex service veteran to another. Last year the Malaysian Government announced that it wished to award a newly struck medal, the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, to all Commonwealth veterans who had served during the Malaya Emergency/Borneo Confrontation between 1957 and 1966.
The Australian and New Zealand Governments, who now operate outside of the British Honours and Decorations bureaucracy, immediately advised Her Majesty to authorise unrestricted acceptance and their veterans will begin to receive their medals this year.
However, the British HD Committee initially rejected totally the offer but after some lobbying, they advised Her Majesty that the medal could be accepted by British veterans but that they would not be allowed to wear it.
This is clearly a nonsense. Our comrades in arms from all other Commonwealth nations will be able to wear the medal at formal events but the British will not. It puts Her Majesty in an embarrassing situation where she has to treat her British subjects as second class citizens. Furthermore, it is a crass insult to all of those who served during those campaigns, many making the ultimate sacrifice. Worst of all, it is an offensive snub to the King, Government and people of Malaysia who have made a generous and genuine offer in recognition of the services rendered during the difficult times that Malaysia was emerging as the democratic member of the Commonwealth that we now see.
Is it such a big deal for Government to allow its ageing veterans to wear one medal awarded by a grateful nation? We think not. We would welcome your support in our campaign in any way that you can. Our aims, and the history behind the campaign, can be found on www.fight4thePJM.org.
I thank you for your time.
Regards
Gerald Law (ex RAF Borneo veteran)

Reply to topic Page 2 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next