Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
That Disgraceful Ministerial Statement
Post That Disgraceful Ministerial Statement 
I have signed up and you can call on my support now and if we have to fight yet another battle with these civil servants.

That Ministerial Statement is about a Foreign Decoration. What I want to know is why the felt it necessary to refer to the PJM being in addition to an existing British campaign medal. I am eligible for the PJM because I served in the Commonwealth Brigadein Malaysia from August1965 until February 1968. I haven't got a existing medal and so that section is particularly spiteful as far as I am concerned. I get so bloody mad each time I read that bit.

Were they just trying to drum up arguments to excuse a decision they knew to be totally unsustainable? Were they knowingly poisoning public opinion by painting PJMers as medal chasers and they did that at my expense? I think they did and I will not stop until they repair the damage.

Keep up the fight. You're doing a fantastic job. John.

PS My first post and so I may have put this message in the wrong place.

J King wrote:
Were they just trying to drum up arguments to excuse a decision they knew to be totally unsustainable? Were they knowingly poisoning public opinion by painting PJMers as medal chasers and they did that at my expense?

.....I think the simple answer to your question is.... Yes!

By the way...welcome to the Forum and your post is perfectly situated!

Post Re: That Disgraceful Ministerial Statement 
George F wrote:
A few examples are approx 10,000 RN personnel between 1957-60 and all (RAF Army & RN) personnel who served in on the Island of Singapore from 1959 to 1964 (approx five & half years) and for four half years 1960 to 64 on the Malay Pensinula. There are many other examples like your own experience.

First, Welcome to John. And thanks for your support. We are looking for PJMers who do not have a British Medal so we'll keep in touch. We are going to make a very big fuss on behalf of you and others in your position if they do not rectify this injustice now. They had no right to imply you were a gong-chaser, particualrly when you do not have one (well, not for Malaysia anyway). It gets worse ... You may have missed this, but they only introduced the double medal rule into the Foreign Decorations Rules one year after the PJM was offered and then applied it retrospectively. There is no double medal rule in the 1969 Regulations that should have been applied to the PJM.

George, "10,000"!!!! That is a huge number of one group of men and women who do not have a medal despite having served Malaysia and despite the innuendo from Whitehall. I once calculated that the majority of all PJMers did not have a British medal despite the cr*p put out by the suits. 40% ... 51% ... who's counting any more. Not you or me. We know that thousands were poked in the eye by that Ministerial Statement. People like John King.

Regards,

Barry

Post That disgraceful Ministerial Statement 
I don't know if anyone is interested, but the currect Chief of the Air staff,
ACM Sir Glenn Torpy, has received the Legion d'Honneur, which he wears on his nice new uniform.

Once again, the falacy of not allowing foreign decorations to be received and worn, looks to be about right... just a falacy.

One more for the ammo box I think.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post Re: That Disgraceful Ministerial Statement 
George F wrote:
Barry, I am being modest with numbers here It could be much much higher. We are talking about the whole British Far East Fleet serving two commissions between 1957 and 1960 (Change of crew every 18 months) Take one cruiser HMS Belfast compliment 750. Two commissions is 1500. Two other Cruisers Lion & Tiger is another 3000, thats before we start counting the ships companies (approx 1200) of Aircraft Carriers, squadrons of Frigates and Destroyers (200 to 250) etc etc.

George,

Did all the Royal Navy contingent receive a British medal for 1957-1960? If not, how many do you think did not get one - and what was the reason?

I think I know the answer, but others may not.

Also, your answer may be therapeutic for John King.

Thanks,

Barry

Post Chief of Air Stuff 
Arthur
I was interested in your observation that Glenn Torpy wears his Legion d'Honneur on his uniform. When I tried to muster support from a previous holder of that post. Lord Tim Garden who now sits as Liberal Peer, he said that he supports the government line. I had mentioned his French medal and he said that he is not allowed to wear it , except in France. So either he has got it wrong, or Torpy is showing great discourtesy to Her Majesty by wearing a trinket on her uniform
Gerry

Post Chief of air stuff 
Hi Gerry,

When 39 Sqn. (1 photo rec unit ) disbanded at RAF Marham, on the 28th July; ACM Glenn Torpy, had his photo taken in front of Canberra, XH 131, by photographer, Jarrold Cotter.

The picture was reproduced on page 82 of FlyPast, October 2006.

If you can send me your address on the private line, I'll send you the page to publish on the web site.

One law for them, and one law for us. I kid you not.

Yours Aye

Arthur

HI ARTHUR,NICE TO SEE YOU PUT YOUR G & T DOWN , IF ONLY TO BLOW A RASPBERRY Exclamation IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY YESTERDAY,I DON'T MIND BEING INCLUDED NOW IN A GROUP OF AGEING 60-70 YEAR OLD VETERANS! PHARPPP Exclamation PHARPP Exclamation ,FALLLLL OUT.THE------OFFICERZZZ Wink

Hello you folks...I am an ex Able Seaman Royal navy, and where the capital 'N' went..? I was in Aden's port for 4 sweaty days on HMS LLandaff during the heights of that "business' there. They gave me a Lee Enfield .303 to ward off any potential baddies..a full clip, plus 100 rds. and I was only SEVENTEEN then 1966. No medal for that one either. We got to Singapore in 66 too..visited Pulau Tioman and Pulau Lankowi..Malaysian soil. No medal for that. The ''action'' R.N. crews faced, was that of some nasty gangs, sour-grape communists, drug pushers, jungle-law savages et al...that loosed casualties and at least one death of a R/Marine from Simbang barracks at Nee Soon. another involved a knitting needle thrust...I'll spare it. My point is the obviously still CLASSIST and snobbist view regarding medallion awards. The love of these "dotty committees" in UK...the "young Oliver has asked for more !" attitude from the "amateurs in charge of professionals".."Ew !! Reeahlay, must theeze working clarse tykes really get a medal ! shriek arrrgh.." Ew how awful...reeks of snobbery here. I wonder WHO then, we are fighting for ?? given these ''enemies'' of what is a simple and common matter of service and appreciation by an award.. I am glad to see ''we'' don't kiss butts anymore...our Military is OUR military and not the sole place of ssnobs with private armies..Cromwell saw to that with the New Model Army...here's to whom ever warrants the medal...keep going folks Taffy...

I DO like the qualifying times ONE Day ashore or TWENTY EIGHT days afloat! So why the difference? surly your in the same area, seating the same, getting shot at the same (wonder if you die differently afloat with a bullet in you?) get treated the same - just that afloat you get rocked to sleep at night - if it's not your turn to be on watch! Thank God the differences aren't lasting an ex serviceman is just that EX - lucky at last, away from it! (hey what happens if your ashore on duty all day but based on a ship is you a soldier or a sailor in this situation? 1 day 0r 28?)

Mike Twisted Evil

Post Techie stuff 
Hi safewalrus,

Interesting question. I too spent a few days ashore in Borneo, therefore I qualify for one day ashore for the Borneo Clasp. Unfortunately, our lords and masters don't quite see it that way.

Reason... I was not Army or Royal Air Force. In all my days I have never seen such a cockeyed system of medal criteria. It only serves to show, that it is no wonder why the 'suits' will never get it right.

A child of six would have got it right first time. My point is, how can grown men, who have had the finest education this country has to offer, be such complete morons, and make one blunder after another. Then... have the termerity to look down their noses at us, as second, nay, third class citizens.

One day, and that wont be long, the military are going to refuse to go where they are directed. It has happened before, and it will happen again.

Yours, still fairly bewildered

Arthur

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1