Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Fort Brooke - the story continues!
Post Fort Brooke - the story continues! 
Roy has sent in the next chapter of his memories of his base ikn the jungle - Fort Brooke.

That fort was a scary place to be, let alone leave to go on patrol. It was located in the heart of Terrorist-controlled territory, taking the fight to their front door and, at the same time, being close to the local people and able to win their hearts and minds.

Read this lastest instalment at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke.htm.

Post Any Helicopter Spotters Out There? 
We have another 12 brilliant images from Roy Follows - the series about Fort Brooke unfolds. You can smell the jungle!

It is now the most visited page on the web site. I'm not surprised.

One caption of the most recent images begs a question of identification of a Kapal Terbang Dengan Kipas Di-Atas (flying boat with a fan on the top, if you need a literal translation of my barely remembered Malay).

Who will be the first to identify the pilot?? OK ... we'll settle for the aircraft type!

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_police_fort_brooke.htm

Post Aircraft Type 
I think it is a Westland Wessex?

'tis a four seat Sikorsky S-51 Dragonfly as Roy partly suggested. Slightly off topic but one of these choppers did most of the aerial shots for The Film 'Bridge on the River Kwai' with back up cameras from a Sunderland Flying Boat mounted in the bomb door hatches. As Michael Caine once said 'Not a lotta people know that' or 'You were only meant to blow the bloody doors off'! but I digress Smile

This type of aircraft was before my time but if you do want to impress me, What was the pilots name?
Anyway its nice to meet an expert on choppers!

Some say its not the size of your chopper but how you fly it that counts.

To me it appears to be an extremely well nourished Anopheles Mosquito????

Michael Caine never said that but thats another story mine is that Michael Micklewhite aka Caine was a national service soldier in the Royal Fusiliers (Barry take note) and he once described his Sergeant Major as a bastard.

My dad was impressed, he was his Sgt Maj but was a little more generous, he described Caine as 'a bloody fine soldier who would have got to the top' The mind boggles!!!

John

Michael Caine never said that but thats another story mine is that Michael Micklewhite aka Caine was a national service soldier in the Royal Fusiliers (Barry take note) and he once described his Sergeant Major as a bastard.

My dad was impressed, he was his Sgt Maj but was a little more generous, he described Caine as 'a bloody fine soldier who would have got to the top' The mind boggles!!!

John

John, excuse me for being somewhat pedantic, but didn't Michael Caine actually get to the top in the army, he was the Lieutenant in Zulu and got the VC. Andy.

J

John...you are having your leg gently pulled by a master of 'wind-up'!

I think that was obvious Jock but a 'Master' you say, not so or I would never have realised!!!!!!

John

I think that was obvious Jock but a 'Master' you say, not so or I would never have realised!!!!!!

John

Sorry John, just a wee joke I thought would make you laugh. We need to laugh, if not we would be weeping all day. Andy.

Jock, I roared so it worked, it did brighten my day no end

John

John...

I have frequently referred to McDangle as 'the master of wind-up' as he has frequently referred to me as 'the master of debate'....at least I think that's what he meant when he suggested that I was a master-debater'?

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1