Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Postal presentation
Nice to hear from you. I was with 230 Sqn Whirlwinds as a rigger and crewman.

Cheers
Peter

[PS: Petenic & Laurie, while we are on this anniversary subject have you heard anything regards the Malaysian Government striking a 50th anniversary medal to commemorate independance 2007-1957

As you probably know Malaysia is the only ex British colony who after gaining independance never struck an Independance medal in 1957. Or if they did only a few FCO suits received them but no UK servicemen did.

George F

George, I have not heard anything of that nature. I'm not sure whether Peter has.

Roger on the PJM application process, but they didn't specifically fly out to get their PJM's presented in Malaysia.
Like LaurieB I don't have any knowledge at this stage of any issue of an Independance Medal but I will check with my contacts at The Royal Mint of Malaysia who mint medals for the Malaysia Government and see if they have any notification. I will advise accordingly when we have any news.

PS: Petenic & Laurie, while we are on this anniversary subject have you heard anything regards the Malaysian Government striking a 50th anniversary medal to commemorate independance 2007-1957

As you probably know Malaysia is the only ex British colony who after gaining independance never struck an Independance medal in 1957. Or if they did only a few FCO suits received them but no UK servicemen did.

Fight4thePJM is not after another gong - we've trouble enough with the PJM. Shocked Clearly, though, individuals must do what they see as being right ... I just need to clarify what the Fight4thePJM web site is about.

The PJM is a unique medal for unique service over nine years that ensured the survival of a fledgling country and laid the foundations for peace and prosperity in that country and the region. It is a medal from a Commonwealth country to Commonwealth forces. The Brits should be able to wear it alongside other Commonwealth nations. The British Government retrospectively applied new rules, then waived them so that the PJM could be received by Brits, and then immediately invoked those same retrospective 'rules' to prevent the PJM being worn by Brits. We are fighting that mean-spirited and erroneous decision. It is wrong. Fight4thePJM aims to right that wrong.

Anniversary medals that celebrate birthdays and national days and that commemorate Independence are a quite different issue to the PJM and I suspect their proliferation represents one of the reasons that any Foreign Decoration in respect of events more than five years ago is looked at aghast by the 'Honours' System. They are meaningful to the issuing nation, of course, and to those attached to, or on loan to, the country at the time of the anniversary. But they are not PJMs.

Barry is correct in what he say's this is only about the PJM and the circumstances surrounding it's issue and acceptance by the British Government.

There are many and varied other issues surrounding medals and awards in the UK and these do not come into the scope of this campaign and therein lies the importance of it. The Government and the Civil Service did not realise the strength of feeling that this one medal would generate and politicians are now realising that they do have a Tiger by the tail. If and when we win this campaign, all others will no doubt follow it's pattern of that you can be sure but it would be far easier to properly sort out the policy at root and branch level in order to prevent such campaigns in the future. A just and honourable solution to this one issue is all that we signed on for and if others that follow us benefit then all well and good.

We are strong because we are well led and extremely well informed and focused, we will win.

Regards

John

What happens when we win John? Will Barry or others keep the forum going to discuss other misdmeanours against veterans by the suits in Whitehall, or will the fight4 the right forum be de-commissioned?

George,

Thank you for raising this important point.

The Fight4thePJM is a single issue campaign - we are fighting for the right for all Brits to wear the PJM alongside their Commonwealth ex-comrades in arms who already have the Queen's permission so to do.

The Fight4thePJM web site and Forum are dedicated to that single issue, that single aim, that single fight.

When we win the fight the web site will be closed to all updates and the Forum will be closed to all new posts. We plan to leave the closure of both for a week or two to enable supporters to post their thoughts at the end of this long battle.

So much has been put into this fight by so many that I propose leaving the web site and Forum on the Internet as testament to the dedication of so many people from around the world.

Barry

PS When the web site has been 'frozen in time' after allowing time for those post-battle therapeutic posts, all comms from the Forum to registered users or to anyone else will also be closed.

"When we win the fight the web site will be closed to all updates and the Forum will be closed to all new posts. We plan to leave the closure of both for a week or two to enable supporters to post their thoughts at the end of this long battle"

That will be the time for like minded members to swap e-mail addresses and telephone numbers etc 'in order to keep in touch' A contact base could then be used by them for whatever purpose they decide upon but that would be totally seperate from this campaign.

John

Last edited by jireland on Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

We can save all to disc (CD) which can be important, the reason being is that someone hacked my hard drive 3 years ago and website, but not being as thick as I'm made out to be I had already created back up data, OK it took a while to get it all back together (6 weeks) but I will never let the SPOOKS defeat me! Shocked

All my important docs are on CD and the replies from HMG. I might just need to refer to them one day Wink

many thanks for clarifying to me this web sites position. I felt it only courteous to reply to an issue you raised regarding any possible issue of an Independance medal. I shall, of course, provide any details of such to the private e-mail you have indicated.

and finally some vets (from Scotland) travelled to Malaysia to receive their PJM medals.F

George,

I would like to point out to readers that the visit of the KOSB to Malaysia was specifically about returning to the areas where the KOSB had fought so valiantly in Malaya-Borneo. It was clear from the newspaper reports and the BBC coverage that the KOSB received a stunning reception wherever they went. It was a memorable trip.

If I were a KOSB, I would not want the fundamental, and deeply meaningful, reason for my return to be confused with a medal parade - it was only coincidental to the main purpose of their return that those KOSB in the visiting group who were eligible for the PJM (and less than half were) received their medals at a function. The trip was not planned with a medal parade in mind.

See:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=879

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=909

Barry

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2