Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
datelines and HMG economising
Post datelines and HMG economising 
One wonders why the Australian and New Zealand Governments allowed the issue and wearing of the PJM for ALL troops who served in Malaya up till DECEMBER 1966.
Meanwhile, OUR illustrious government only allow issued 'gongs' etc... up till AUGUST 1966.
This also applies to the GSM.
One notices that there is a huge saving on 'Silver' as issued to troops by cutting the issue date from December to August.
Maybe this country is being run by accountants and other arse licking scumbags. As Hitler called them.... "The rear echelon schwein".

I had assumed that the Ministerial Statement simply had it wrong stating 12th August rather than 31st December 1966, the FCO having been briefed by the MOD who have a fixation about insisting that there is a direct correlation between the scope of the PJM and the “Borneo” and “Malay Peninsula” qualifying dates fro the Brit medals. Both departments seem to have conveniently forgotten that the Malaysians are offering this medal, not the Brits, and the Malaysians want to include a ‘cooling off’ period until the end of 1966.

But now I wonder … I smell a rat. And not for the first time. One cannot help feeling that if the British Government had used the dreaded date 31st December, they would be acknowledging that the PJM has no double-medalling implications because eligibility for the CSM clasp “Borneo” finished on 12the August. They need the lie of double-meddalling to conceal the lack of substance to their other objection - the 5 year rule. We have been saying for a year now that the scope of the PJM is wider than the GSM/CSM (and their Naval equivalents) - the New Zealand Prime Minister confirmed that also. For example, addressing timescales onyl the PJM covers service in Singapore for 5 ½ years when no Brit medal is offered, and 1 ½ years on the Peninsula - again when those who served do not qualify for the GSM and CSM.

And so I think the British powers-that-be have a major problem. If they accept the Malaysian date then they also accept that double-medalling cannot apply - the dates are not the same. And so, to camouflage their determination to screw up the PJM as a wearable award (just read the grudging and mealy-mouthed words from the MOD’s sycophantic satelllite the Veterans Agency), they are linking the PJM to the British awards. Yet again, they are knowingly trying to deny the medal to servicemen and women and civilians who would otherwise be eligible for the award.

But we are on to it and I can feel some more letters coming on … err, where’s me quill!

Post Re: datelines and HMG economising 
[quote="Stewart McBride"]One wonders why the Australian and New Zealand Governments allowed the issue and wearing of the PJM for ALL troops who served in Malaya up till DECEMBER 1966. Meanwhile, OUR illustrious government only allow issued 'gongs' etc... up till AUGUST 1966. This also applies to the GSM.[quote]

Stewart, the Aussies and Kiwis immediately understood the meaning of the PJM and did not question or censor what the Malaysians were trying to say through their gracious offer of the medal. The British Government, on the other hand, had a negative attitude from outset. It's the mindset in the MOD and within the HD Committee. From day one, they decided to try and snooker this medal. It was only through the lobbying of people like George "no-relation" Fleming and so many others that HMG couldn't get away with their arrogant skullduggery.

Are readers aware that within the Australian Medals Policy there is a 'rule' to the effect that awards could and should be dealt with in a timely fashion? Why? To avoid giving offence. It's all about an attitiude of mind. Pragmatism versus Privilege. Sensitivity versus Senselessness.

It is at times like this that I am ashamed of being British.

Post Re: datelines and HMG economising 
Stewart McBride wrote:
One notices that there is a huge saving on 'Silver' as issued to troops by cutting the issue date from December to August.
Maybe this country is being run by accountants and other arse licking scumbags. As Hitler called them.... "The rear echelon schwein".

On the matter of cost, the Malaysians are footing the bill - one reason why they are really miffed with the British Government putting them in the position of striking thousands of trinkets when they view the PJM as an award of honour (“Jasa” has that nuance to the meaning of “service”).

The British Government has no meaningful interest in the PJM. It is using Associations to attract applications and filter the forms. The MOD will have to rubber-stamp each application, but that is hardly a huge cost - and far less than the price paid by so many who qualify for the Pingat Jasa Malaysia.

Post Re: The anachronistic UK HD committee 
George F wrote:
Thanks Stewart for posting this forum's website to the Royal Green Jackets association forum? Many former Greenjackets will be intitled to the PJM.

PJM statement is the greatest load of ambigious whitehall gobbly gook I have ever read. George F

I'd like to add my thanks also.

And your view of the Statement is absolutely correct. It is full of holes because, on close inspection, the recommendation simply does not stand up. They had more than a month to come up with a plausible explanation of their shenanigans. They didn't even give us that courtesy. We were just dumped on with a concoction of conflicting and ambiguous cover-ups. That simply reflects our worth in their eyes.

They will learn.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1