Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Letter to Chis Edge and reply.
Post Letter to Chis Edge and reply. 
I sent a letter off last week and here is the reply, my original and my return questions.

Dear Mr Frape
Thank you for your e-mail about the PJM.
I know that you, and many others, feel strongly about the recommendations made in December 2005 by the Committee on the Grant of Honours, Decorations and Medals (HD Committee) with regard to the PJM.
The various points made by you, and by many veterans and others over the last few months, about the PJM and the recommendations, will now be considered by the HD Committee.
I hope that the results of this consideration process will be known by the end of November.
Yours sincerely,
Chris Edge
Christopher J Edge
Honours Secretary
Foreign and Commonwealth Office

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 13 October 2006 00:05
To: chris.edge@fco.gov.uk
Subject: Ref, Discrimnatory action in medal awards.

My original question.
Dear Mr. Edge.
Sir.
Firstly please accept my apologies for contacting you directly but being an Ex member of The Life Guards and now a US citizen, I thought that going directly to those who hold the highest office are most likely to be able to assist me and many others living abroad in the shortest possible amount of time with a VERY troubling subject. .

I am ex CoH Frape. KJ, late of The Life Guards.
My first posting after graduating from the Junior Leaders Regiment RAC.
was to fly out to the Far East and join the regiment in Seremban, Malaysia in late June of 1966.
Our C Sqn. was deployed in Borneo at the time and I was attached to the regiments B Sqn.in Paroi Camp, Seremban, Malaysia awaiting their return.

As you are fully aware we, the British veterans of this era and conflict, are now being offered the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal by the Malaysian government for our service during the confrontation and as such my service time in Malaysia falls within the start and ending date of 31 December 1966 (due to the cooling off period as laid out by the Malaysians).

Myself, like many officers and other ranks of the Life Guards, RHG and attached personnel of the day are entitled to receive this medal and I have applied for it through the correct channels.

HOWEVER..Unlike those members of our C Sqn, and those serving alongside of them, we are NOT entitled to the British award, GSM 1962. Borneo Bar.

So the PJM will be the ONLY medal and recognition for my/our time served
during the hostility dates and qualifying days as laid out by the 'Malaysian government'.

What saddens me Sir, is the fact that we are being denied the right and formal
permission to actually wear it when we get it.

Yes I know and am FULLY aware of all the half baked and twisted tales and so called rules governing our medal, thrown around by various departments of government, the MoD and HD committee members, and those who claim to advise Her Majesty in the correctness of these matters.
Poorly so it appears in this case.

None of these so called rules or guidelines hold enough water to float a paper boat I might add!

The New Zealand and Australian Governments have embraced this medal for
their Veterans and are only to delighted to allow it to be worn and I might add, with the permission of Her Majesty.

It is a poorly fudged and cobbled together set of conflicting statements (so called rules) that nobody in the correct seats of power feel we should have corrected.
The press and other members of Parliament are now starting to take notice of our plight and fight!

Can you posibly on behalf of myself and many others of The Life Guards, attached RHG and other arms, AAC, Pay Corps, ACC, R. Sigs. REME. etc. ask that this be re addressed and corrected so we, as ex service persons may wear our medal not only with pride but with the formal permission of Her Majesty the Queen.

This affects not only myself but roughly 35,000 Veterans and is very important to each and every one of us.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this Sir.

For complete and up to date information about the fight to reverse
this situation, please look at the following site.
It will not only bring you up to date and answer many questions you may have but also give you access to accurate facts and ammunition for taking the fight forward.

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/

Regards.
Keith J Frape.
Ex CoH . LG. 1966 -1983
South Carolina. USA.

I then replied with the following! Smile

Dear Mr Edge.
Thank you kindly for your hastily written reply which I received and read a few minutes ago.

May I also ask that you or somebody, to explain to me how the ending date of 31 December 1966 (Cooling off period) as laid out and used by the issuing authority, the Government of Malaysia, was not retained by the British when issuing their statement of acceptance.

See the quote below please.
Quote."The Minister for Trade, Investment and Foreign Affairs (Mr Ian Pearson): The Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) is a commemorative medal which the Government of Malaysia would like to award to eligible British citizens, for their service in Malaya or Malaysia between 31 August 1957 and 12 August 1966."Unquote.

It would seem to me, a mere layman and without any kind of formal legal or political training, that the issuing countries government has the ABSOLUTE right to determine the QUALIFYING dates of any medal.

This being the case, unless I am wrong, by what right, legal or otherwise does Her Majesties government have to alter these dates?
Unless of course they are trying to bring it in line with the GSM 1962 and thereby use the ruse and deception of double medaling to disallowing formal wearing permission.
It also confuses and obstructs many who are still finding out about this medal and trying to decide if indeed they qualify for it.

I am certain AND convinced that each and every member of the British Royal family, government, regardless of party affiliation, MOD, service person and civilian alike would take great offence if you were to offer a medal under the same conditions, only to have the recipients government tinker with the dates you set out for it's qualifying dates, am I not correct?

In finality, why could this decision on the permission to formally wear the medal not be made BEFORE the date of 11 November, the date used by most of the civilized world to remember our fallen comrades over the years and around the world.

Many thanks.
Keith Frape.
Ex CoH. The Life Guards.
South Carolina. USA.
________
Cocaine Rehab Advice

Last edited by KJF on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Good one Keith, I like the last shot across the bows by November 11th, that date is very important to a lot of people! Thanks for raising it.

[quote="John Cooper"]Good one Keith, I like the last shot across the bows by November 11th, that date is very important to a lot of people! Thanks for raising it.[/quote]
ADSOLUTELY,MAYBE,THEY DON'T KNOW THE SIGNIFICANCE Exclamation OR WORSE THEY DO,TWATS.

Post A reply and counter! 
Dear Mr Frape

Thank you for your e-mail. I can assure you that there is no question of the British authorities changing the eligibility criteria for the PJM, as laid down by the Malaysian authorities.

The Malaysian eligibility criteria for the PJM are available for all to see on the Veterans Agency website. www.veteransagency.mod.uk. You will see that Paras 2 and 3b of the criteria refer to the dates: 31 August 1957 to 12 August 1966, the same dates as in the Written Ministerial Statement. If the Malaysians permit service after 12 August, until 31 December 1966 in certain circumstances, to qualify for the PJM, that is not a problem. All applications for the PJM have been processed on the basis of the Malaysian eligibility criteria.. The final decision on who qualifies for the PJM is for the Malaysian authorities.

With regard to your question about the timing of the consideration of the PJM by the HD Committee, I am afraid that this is something over which the FCO has no control. The consideration of the large number of representations received in recent months about the PJM is, of course, a lengthy process.

Yours sincerely,
Chris Edge

And MY counter.

Dear Mr Edge.
Thank you once again for taking time out to reply.
The link you supplied of course takes me to the home page of the Veterans Department and not to the subject at hand, however within a few moments I located the page and took a FEW MORE minutes to read down the pages.
I refer you to paragraph F, sub sections 2 and 3

I apologize to you for indicating the changes in qualifying dates BUT I do not apologize for the fact that the Ministerial statement did and does nothing to indicate the fact that the cooling off period can be counted towards the number of qualifying days needed.

I will point out however that it is up front and VERY CLEARLY stated on both of the Malaysians offers to the Australians and New Zealanders and their announcements to the Veterans concerned.
(I CAN supply the links if you would care to use them).

f. Additional Qualifications. Despite the predetermined period (the exact dates of operational service and the number of days of service as mentioned earlier, other Additional Qualifications can be considered based on the following circumstances:

1) the security personnel from any Armed Forces or security organizations from the said countries or group who had served In Malaysia, must be sent by their Government before 12th August 1966; and

(2) after 12th August 1966, he or she must be in or attached to any remaining Armed Forces unit or Security Organisation from the said countries, stationed only in Malaysia and perform their duties during the so called ???cooling period"; and

(3) the above service are counted until 31st December 1966 only.

That clearly indicates to me that the qualifying dates are different to the GSM's and Borneo Bar. Thus it is not and cannot be double medaling!

The sad fact that the HD committee is confronted by this is indeed a result of their own actions or, lack of.
Perhaps they should have taken a second, sorry this will be the third won't it, look, at this formal permission to wear our medal earlier on and not waited for what is in front of them now.

Keith Frape.
Ex CoH. The Life Guards.
SC. USA.
http://www.fight4thepjm.org/

Smile
________
Suzuki Rgv250 Specifications

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1