Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Did Her Majesty say it was an 'OFFICIAL' medal?
Post Did Her Majesty say it was an 'OFFICIAL' medal? 
If Her Majesty the Queen gave us her approval and permission to accept the PJM, does this make it an 'OFFICIAL' medal?

If so, then according to the medals web site, 'OFFICIAL' medals can be worn even in uniform!!!

See below.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/MedalFaqs.htm

What is the difference between ???official??? and ???commemorative??? medals?

The term ???official??? could be used to describe any medals for which Her Majesty, or her predecessors, has given approval. Only these medals are permissible for wear on a service uniform. Commemorative medals are those which have been produced by organisations or private medal companies to commemorate particular branches of service or areas of operations. Examples of popular commemorative medals are:

The National Service Medal
Allied Ex-Prisoners of War Medal
The Dunkirk Medal
British Forces Germany Medal

I do NOT see anything in the paragraph that would exclude the PJM? or am I missing something?

Keith.
Sunny South Carolina, Via Paroi Camp....
________
Mercedes-Benz V-Class History

Last edited by KJF on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Official Medal. 
The answer to your query Keith is - Her Majesty the Queen recognised and authorised the Pingat Jasa Malaysia as an official medal by giving Royal Assent for it to be accepted and worn by Australian and New Zealand veterans. Later Her Majesty the Queen authorised the Pingat Jasa Malaysia to be accepted by British Civilians BUT someone said it has not to be worn. The people who are making the big fuss about the PJM not being worn are the unelected British Civil Servants and no-one, including Ministers of the Crown will tell us 'who made the order that the PJM cannot be worn.' The MOD said it was Her Majesty the Queen but they will not confirm their reason for this statement. Others who have been contacted refuse to answer this question.

We are entitled to the same treatment as our Commonwealth comrades in arms but the Whitehall establishment does not agree with non-discriminatory action which they are obliged to comply with under legislation in our democracy. The lengths to which the establishment are prepared to go to just to prevent us from wearing an honourable medal earned and fought for, is beyond human comprehension.

Firstly, please point out to me where the Malay Government describes the medal as a 'Commemorative Medal?
Surely, the issuing Country, government and or authority has the right to describe it's status and or designation!
NOT the recipient ones.

Secondly.
My father served in the Royal Hampshire regiment and went out through Dunkirk and was also part of 1 BEF on the Belgian German Border when the Germans attacked.

He received the Dunkirk Medal and the Belgian Medal from King Baudouin I in the mid 1970's in London.
I filled in the appropriate paperwork for him for BOTH medals.
To the best of MY knowledge and recollection (probably wrong) I do not recall him being told verbally or in writing that he would not be able to wear either of them!
He did so quite often and was never arrested or tormented by 'Pin striped' self righteous pip squeeks with polished rear ends.
WHY, because perhaps they knew they were skating on very very thin ice.

It would be interesting to see what they said about the Belgian medal, seeing as how the King himself was involved in it!

As you so rightly point out, the PJM is struck and presented by the Malaysian Government and is NOT a commercial object D'Art or accoutriment!

A member of our website, The Old Oak Tree, (TOOT) has sent a couple of letters, here is his comment on our site.

I have sent an Email to Nicholas Soames who is my MP and loves to back the troops and I asked him to ask Maggie Becket on an up date on the situation and he has promised me he will do that and get back to me.
When we were in Malaya, I drove Colonel I B Baillie (Bart) LG, and his step son is also in Parliament, so I will ask him to fight as well, as I am sure he will.
I hope that we can get some sort of answer, from the lame ducks.
Best Wishes Brian V.

Keith.
________
Volcano Vaporizer

Last edited by KJF on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Re PJM and PPM. It has be over twenty years ago since I received the Malaysia Commemorative Medal (PPM)

How did this come about? Shaffie who I'm still in contact with, and was the platoon Sgt during my time when I served in the 10th Police Jungle company also 4th Police Field Force, was rightly so awarded the Pingat Khidmat Berbakti (PKB / GSM).
Quote from The Medal Year Book 2003 states = Qualifying time for PKB is from August 1957 to September 1963. The medal is awarded to both armed sevices, police, auxiliary police, home guard.
So like Shafffie and the other members of the platoon who would have also been awarded it. I the pltn leader, then should be entitled to the PKB . I wrote to the Malaysian High Commision giving them all my police service details etc. But instead of receiving the PKB, I was kindly honoured with the Malaysia Commemoritive Medal (PPM) third class.
Oh! dear Oh! dear, and I've been wearing it ever since.

Roy

Jock Mcdangle .Some time ago I read in one of your post about you being in Yong Peng -a dicey place. I operated in the YP area often ,and know it well.

Many thanks for the interesting document. With me having served under two masters ie, The Colonial Police Force, Federation Malaya ,of which on 31st Aug 1957,ceased to excist. Where on I/we were re-badged and re-named, The Royal Malaysian Police Force.
From reading the document, I without a shadow of doubt, do qualify for the PKB, and see no reason what so-ever, why I should not be awarded the medal.
I've tried two /three times, the last being several months ago, when I wrote to the Malaysian High Commision London , who informed me, they had forwarded my letter to the approbriate Government deptarment in KL, of which I've heard nothing since.

Thanks Roy.

Post Yong Peng. 
Yes Roy, it was a hotbed. We were not allowed out of camp unless on patrol etc. and we were never allowed in the village for a quiet pint or to chat up the local wee lassies. I was there a couple of months and then went to Niyor Estate, Kluang.
I visited Yong Peng Police Station in 2003 and have a photograph of it. If you like I could post it for your info. Andy.

Strange that you've not heard of any one else having the PPM. May be there are others who have not yet surfaced. But when you think about, British military did not usually serve out there for much longer than three years (there may have been exceptions) Where with the Police, we did a three year tour, then after Uk leave, returned for an other three years. I served for nearly nine years, and with always a 'good boy',(never got caught), may have had some bearing in me being awarded the PPM (Grade 3)
Thanks Roy

Yong Peng was one of the worst places in Malay for Ct incidents, plus the elite of all cts, namely Goh Peng Tuan, commander of the notorious 7th Independant Platoon, 4th Regt
MRLA controlled the area. Nayor, east of YP and close to the main railway line I've patrolled the area, also Chemek and Paloh north of Nyor. At the time 1953/ 54 I was with no 10 Police Jungle company,based at Chaah village on the main road about 12 miles north of YP. If not on deep jungle ops ,of which I prefered, the platoon would be stationed in one of the many rubber estate or villages around the YP area.Thanks for the kind offer of a photograph of YP Police station, is the red flag flying ? I could be wrong -memory- but I'm sure Goh and his platoon sometime in 53/54 attacked and captured YP police station and hoisted the red flag,before leaving. Somewhere amongest my many photographs, I do have a photograph of YP police station that I took some time during 1953/4.
Roy

Re PKB /PPM. Thanks for the information - 'Malayan Medals and Decorations', I'll try and check it out.
Roy

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1