Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Who has contacts with Malaysian Press?
Post Who has contacts with Malaysian Press? 
Anyone.............well I'm sure they would be interested in this OFFICIAL response from the UK MoD!

Just had this in, boy do they start early on a Monday these days!

ITS OFFICIAL, A SOUVENIR Or KEEPSAKE

RE: The Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:36:10 +0100
From: "Coney, Richard Mr" <Richard.Coney506@mod.uk> Add to Address Book
To: "JOHN COOPER" <johncooper

Dear Mr Cooper,

The policy relating to the acceptance and wearing of foreign medals by British citizens is administered by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. This is not a matter for the Ministry of Defence. You should write to the Honours Unit, Old Admiralty Building, London, SW1A 2PA.

However, the information you have been given is correct. The Queen has granted permission for British citizens to accept the medal, but as a souvenir or keepsake only and not for wear. There is no right of appeal. It is not a matter of law or of your statutory rights. As a civilian you can do what you like. You are not breaking any laws if you choose to ignore the decision, but it is considered a discourtesy to The Sovereign if you do. Many veterans will wear the medal regardless. No-one will actually tell them not to.

The FCO will be able to provide you with more information if required.

I hope this is helpful.

R T Coney

DS Sec – Honours 1

MOD

London

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 06 August 2006 09:13
To: Coney, Richard Mr
Subject: The Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal

Dear Mr Coney

I am soon to be awarded The Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal by the Government of Malaysia. The department I am addressing this letter to has denied me my rights to wear this medal as a civilian via Her Majesty The Queen, can you please inform me what my rights of appeal are against this, in my opinion, unfair decision.

I am not representing a group of people here, it is an individual request by myself, there are laws in the UK and the EC giving me the right to appeal, please advise me of my statutory rights.

If for any reason your department cannot answer this question, would you please forward this on to someone who can with the courtesy of a reply

cc Sir Michael Lord, MP Deputy Speaker of The House Of Commons

Yours sincerely

John Cooper[/quote]

Post Re: Who has contacts with Malaysian Press? 
Just had this in, boy do they start early on a Monday these days!

[size=24]ITS OFFICIAL, A SOUVENIR Or KEEPSAKE[/size]

RE: The Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 08:36:10 +0100
From: "Coney, Richard Mr" <Richard.Coney506@mod.uk> Add to Address Book
To: "JOHN COOPER" <johncooper

Dear Mr Cooper,

OH DEAR,DO I DETECT A BIT OF A HISSY,COMING FROM PHONEYDICK?THE MOD DO NOT START EARLY ON MONDAY,OR ANY DAY,SOMEONE SPENT ALL W/END, DRAFTING IT,AND IT GOES OUT TO GIVE AN IMPRESSION OF EFFICENCY,AS WITH ANY SPOKESBOD SPEAK IT ACTUALLY TELLS YOU DIDDLY SQUAT,10/10 PHONEYDICK. WHAT IT DOES DO HOWEVER IS EXPLAIN THE RULES,YOU HAVE NON Surprised BIT LIKE A GAME OF CRICKET WITH A PIGS ORPHAN,YOU CAN PLAY ,BUT ITS MY BAT AND MY BALL Exclamation
PHONEYDICK ELABORATES, YOU CAN HAVE IT AS A KEEPSAKE ETC;AND GET THIS Arrow NO RIGHT OF APPEAL Wink , WHICH ACTUALLY GIVES YOU A EX-SERVICEMAN, WHO HAS SERVED HIS COUNTRY,LESS RIGHTS,THAN A AFGHAN TERRORIST HIGHJACKER Surprised --,HOWEVER PHONEYDICK,DOES SAY WE CAN DO WHAT WE LIKE WITH IT.WOT A WANKA,MATE WHY DON'T YOU THROW YOUR 'KIN SHOVEL AWAY,AND YES ITS COCK ALL TO DO WITH THE MOD,THAT AT LEAST IS TRUE,PHONEYDICK REALLY,YOU SHOULD SHUT THE KIN'L UP, BECAUSE REALLY BY PUTTING PEN TO PAPER,IF FOLK THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE ONE THE 1 IN 3 NOT QUALIFIED FOR THE JOB, YOU CONFIRM OUR FEARS Confused -------------------------------------------------

I [can]. While I'm only a student in the UK I go over every summer to visit my dad in Sabah. He's a lawyer and rather well known, so maybe I could ask him if its still neccessary next year.

Looking at the date... IRONY! I was in Malaysia at the time. Wish I'd known about this then.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1