Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
What if I do wear it?
Post May issue of Medal News 
There are three interesting letters in tis issue and I've edited them for relevant content.
"Although I served in West Malaysia from April 1966 to November 1966, I did not qualify for the GSM 1962 - Malay Peninsula. I was on active service for 3 month and never understood why I and numerous others, was ineligible for the medal. Thus the PJM will be the only thing I have to show for my 3 month's active service overseas and it is therefore untrue for officialdom to say that I and others already have a medal for this service from our own country because we do not".

"In reply to Mr Geoffrey Johnson Smith's comments in the March issue in which he mentions bought medals appearing on marching veteran's chests, and the confusion of veterans that has led to this malpractice! He goes on to say that now this situation has been highlighted there is no reason for Commemorative Medals to be worn next Remeembrance Day. Mr Smith calls it malpractice, which my Oxford dictionary defines as a criminal wrong doing, misconduct. So by wearing a bought medal [in this case the National Service Medal] I may well end up in the Tower".

"Not only is the "Normandy Medal" worn by many members of the Normany Veterans Association, it has also resulted in £70 000 of donations to our funds. When the NVA held a commemorative event in the Albert Hall, we had the honour of welcoming FM Lord Bramall who turned up in a lounge suit wearing just 2 of his decorations - his KCB and his Normandy Medal. Will legal action now be taken against him? I dispute the right of any Jack-in-Office to order me to take down any of my medals".

Post Re: May issue of Medal News 
GerryL wrote:
There are three interesting letters in tis issue and I've edited them for relevant content.

Three interesting excerpts there, Gerry. Thanks.

'Tis all very well stating that "sod 'em I will wear mine!" Just one minor problem - first we have to get it! Yes I've sent off my application, more in hope than anticipation, one day I MAY get the thing but with everything being spouted about wearing it I can see our friend B. Liar and his cronies making sure none but the few every see one let alone get the chance to wear it - then what? Sad

'Tis all very well stating that "sod 'em I will wear mine!" Just one minor problem - first we have to get it! Yes I've sent off my application, more in hope than anticipation, one day I MAY get the thing but with everything being spouted about wearing it I can see our friend B. Liar and his cronies making sure none but the few every see one let alone get the chance to wear it - then what? Sad

Hi,

If you have sent your application form to a regimental association or to Fred Burden at the NMBVA, and you are eligible, then you will receive your PJM from the Malaysians no matter what the suits may think or what is happening in the Fight4thePJM. Civil servants at the MoD did try and delay things because they wanted to hide the fact from the Malaysians that they were not going to verify Service Records) but we got to hear about it and now all applications are sent off promptly. If you check in at this web site from to time we'll keep you informed about anything we hear - including when medals start to arrive. Barry

Post Victory Services Club 
I have just returned from the Victory Services Club in London where myself and Barry attended a lunch to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the end of Confrontation. It was a great "do" with many illustrious guests. As well as veterans, serving representatives of many of the units that served in Borneo were present. The chief guest of honour was our very own Field Marshal Lord Bramall who made a speech that was at times witty and at times direct and to the point about just what was experienced by the guys out there. He then mentioned the PJM and was less than complimentary in his comments towards those involved in the "no wear" decision. He then produced his own PJM and waved it in the air telling us that he intended wearing his no matter what anybody said and that we should all do the same when we get it. He added that that they might be able to lock him up in the Tower for defying the "rule" (I assume as former Cof DS and a Peer of the Realm he might be at risk?), but he said that no-one can stop you from wearing yours so wear it. That got a resounding round of applause and a bit of table thumping. Barry and I did a bit of PR and I think we may have some success - time will tell. On leaving, everyone was given an A4 envelope containing a copy of the Journal, some VSC literature and one of our cards with badge. All in all, a good day and one which I thing will have done our cause no harm.
Gerry

That is great news Gerry re Lord Bramall, perhaps he will have a quiet (or even louder) words in the right ears.

Post Re: Victory Services Club 
GerryL wrote:
I have just returned from the Victory Services Club in London where myself and Barry attended a lunch to commemorate the 40th Anniversary of the end of Confrontation.

What astonished me was how few knew about the PJM, the fight, or the fact that the rest of the Commonwealth could wear the medal. It was the last bit that made a significant difference in their attitude.

I was fortunate to sit at a table with an Air Vice Marshal, two Major Generals, a Brigadier and a retired Lt Col. I was very pleased that all were willing to spread the word. Fine men, all of them.

Gerry is right - today was an important opportunity for us to make our campaign known across a wider audience, all of whom were very supportive.

Barry

PS I was also fortunate to meet up with Air Marshal Sir Freddie Sowery and , whilst telling him about the discredited PJM decision and our fight to reverse it - we also swapped WW1 stories ... his father served with my father in the Royal Fusiliers before transferring to the RFC. It's a small world.

You are right there George, that is exactly the case. If all of the great and good such as those senior officers were to write to say the Director General of the Royal British Legion for example then they would automaticly take it up. To write to the Queen or even the PM would also cause somewhat of a hiccup in the corridors of power.

John

Post A CONSIDERED REPLY 
. But none of them have written As much as I agree with Barry the MOD's statement wearing unapproved medals are [b]DISCOURTEOUS TO THE QUEEN[/b] is blackmail. Unfortunately its the ex officers of staff rank and above who fall for this one hook line and sinker.

The fear of being accused of embarrassing Her Majesty hangs over every one of them like a big dark cloud. I only wish some of these higher ups had the guts to pick up the pen like they wanted their soldiers to have the guts to go into the jungle to hunt out insurgents.

George F[/quote]
CAN'T HELP MYSELF ON THIS ONE;DURING THE GREAT WAR,FIELD MARSHALL HAIG'S, CHIEF OF' INTELLIGENCE' WAS A DUFFER NAMED CHARTERIS,AND IS DOCUMENTED,AS TELLING A YOUNG STAFFER NOT TO BRING ANY MORE COLOUR CODED MAPS,DENOTING ,SWAMP ,MUD,WATER, PILLBOXES,AND BARBED WIRE,AS IT UPSET THE FIELD MARSHALL,AND ASSURRED HIM THAT THE PASSCHENDAELE RIDGE,WOULD BE'DRY AS A BONE'. ITS ALMOST A MIRACLE THAT MY WONDERFUL GRANDAD,DIDN'T DROWN BADLY WOUNDED IN THIS SWAMP.INSTEAD HE LIVED TO BE 96,WITH NO TOES ON ONE FOOT,SCARRING ON HIS BACK AND OUT HIS ARMPIT,THE SIZE OF A FOOTBALL,AND A SHRAPNEL BALL THAT MOVED WITH EVERY BEAT OF HIS HEART FOR THE NEXT 73 YRS.THE POINT IS HE DID PUT HIS HEAD ABOVE THE PARAPET, ,HE ALSO GOT A POVERTY PENSION,UNLIKE MR HAIG,WHO GOT AN EARLDOM AND £100,000, 1919 POUNDS!
ON THE POSITIVE SIDE, HAIG SPENT HIS LATER YEARS WITH THE POPPY FUND THAT BORE HIS NAME.
OUR SENIOR OFFICERS WHO HAVE THE PJM AND SUPPORT OUR CAUSE SHOULD COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK,AND SUPPORT' THEIR' VETERANS,AND IN THE SAME WAY ,WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO A FORMER MARINE, MP, POLITICAL PARTY LEADER,SEEMINGLY NOW ASLEEP IN THE HOUSE OF LORDS,WHO ALSO SERVED IN BORNEO! THERE ARE 519 WHO CANNOT FIGHT THIS CAUSE,AND 35000 WHO WON'T FORGET THE WAR THAT NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT,WHERE STASTICALLY THE BODY COUNT(EXCUSE THAT TERM) EXCEDED FALKLANDS, GULF,IRAQ,A'STAN COMBINED,WE ALL SERVED EQUALLY,AND OUR YOUNG SERVICE PEOPLE DOES US PROUD,MAIN DIFFERENCE IS OURS LIKE PREVIOUS IS 'FORGOTTEN',WHENEVER I'VE WORN MY GSM,ETC,NO ONE KNOWS DIDDELY SQUAT ABOUT, BORNEO,MALAYA,MALAY PENINSULAR,AND THE SUITS WHO COMBINE BY DECEICT TO DENY US, PARITY WITH OUR COMRADES IN ARMS FROM A'STRLIA, AND NZED,SHOULD HANG THEIR HEADS IN SHAME,JUST REMEMBER WHOEVER INVENTED TIME MADE A 'KIN LOT OF IT,AND JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL, BANK ON IT!

Post What if I do Wear it? 
So what?I am wearing my replica PJM already.It will be worn at the Cenotaph in Whitehall also.No one can stop me as Richard Coney said in his e-mail reply,we are civillians!Should any poor unsuspecting TV reporter ask me what this medal is for then stand back matey I'll give him chapter and verse.
It is my considered opinion that HM doesn't have a clue about OUR medal.
Now which way was it to the Tower? Arrow Arrow Arrow Sad [/b]

Smudger, you are not the only one in that position, mine was put on my medal bar 2 months ago and was photographed by Barry at Michael Ancrams office. His agent, Sqn Ldr Ian Ramsey MBE, has asked me to make sure that I wear it on the Armistice Day parade in Calne when I lead the parade and of course, I most certainly will.

So, to the Governor of the Tower of London I say this, Sir, as my father was the RSM of the Tower in the early 50's whilst serving in the Royal Fusiliers, can I have his old room!

John

Post Whitehall Armistice Day 
I've noticed that several of you blokes have said that you will be marching along Whitehall in November's Remembrance Parade. Obviously you will each be marching in your particular Regimental Associations, etc, but can I propose that we arrange to meet up prior to the muster and take a group photo of as many of us as we can manage. The sight of many PJM'ers with the autumn sun glinting off their illicitly worn PJM's will be good publicity and will be a good way of cocking a snook, or even snooking a cock at the suits.
GerryL

Gerry, Barry and I discussed this several months ago but marching as a body not as individuals ie Malaya/Borneo vets. The idea is there and is just one of many but we will have to be careful not to excite the suits so for the time being, mums the word

John

Gerry we can easily meet up on Horseguards as at the rear and to the Right hand side you will find a mobile tea wagon.I'm meeting a mate there at 1000 hrs.We will need to be PDQ as we form up at 1030hrs.It does take around 30 minutes for 6000 plus to march out onto Whitehall.

If there are enough of you why not march To BuckHouse?

Reply to topic Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next