Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2
My Letter to Margaret Beckett M.P
My letter to Margaret Beckett has been posted today

Well writ Ivor.

Another Aussie Brit takes up the challenge.

Post HM 
Perhaps i am wrong, but it seems to me that we are ALL missing the point; HM has agreed that we should be presented with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, surely, with great respect to all, by this, HM expects us to WEAR it with pride. This has nowt do do wi the civil service. The PJM has now been presented to high ranking officers in London by the representatives of the Malaysian Government who full EXPECT us all to wear it!

HM is a very asture individual and she must be very upset that her words mean one thing to one and one thing to another, her agreement is in no way ambiguous to us.

Post Re: HM 
RBJ wrote:
Perhaps i am wrong, but it seems to me that we are ALL missing the point; HM has agreed that we should be presented with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, surely, with great respect to all, by this, HM expects us to WEAR it with pride.

I wish! We have been 'formally' informed that the Queen approved the PJM for British citizens on condition that it is not worn.

RBJ wrote:
HM is a very asture individual and she must be very upset that her words mean one thing to one and one thing to another, her agreement is in no way ambiguous to us.

Astute ... is that short for 'a statute'? Because we know that this recommendation is not only mean-spirited, it is unlawful. I think HM will be a tad upset when she twigs that she has been Coney'd. Sorry, I meant conned. Conned by a couple of civil servants who have no understanding of the meaning of integrity and who are absolutely brain dead when it comes to understanding the meaning of Pingat Jasa Malaysia to Malaysia ... and to those who served that newly emerging independent country.

Barry.

Post The Queen. 
Its is very funny that the only people who have said that Her Majesty the Queen has signed recommendations that the PJM can be accepted but not worn are the MOD. They have also said in print that it would be a grave discourtesy to the Queen to wear the PJM. Everyone else has SUGGESTED this but as far as I can recall they have never said it outright like the MOD. I have asked the MOD if they have any definite proof or documentary evidence which we could be shown, or a letter or something signed by the Queen, stating that she does not want us to wear the PJM but they have refused to answer this question and have shut me out and referred me to the MOD Correspondence Unit. I have asked them the same question and will wait with bated breath their answer in about 40 days. Democracy, what democracy?

Post Re: The Queen. 
mcdangle wrote:
Its is very funny that the only people who have said that Her Majesty the Queen has signed recommendations that the PJM can be accepted but not worn are the MOD. They have also said in print that it would be a grave discourtesy to the Queen to wear the PJM. Everyone else has SUGGESTED this but as far as I can recall they have never said it outright like the MOD. I have asked the MOD if they have any definite proof or documentary evidence which we could be shown, or a letter or something signed by the Queen, stating that she does not want us to wear the PJM but they have refused to answer this question and have shut me out and referred me to the MOD Correspondence Unit. I have asked them the same question and will wait with bated breath their answer in about 40 days. Democracy, what democracy?

This prompted me to write this Andy, I feel that I have less rights than someone in prison, I wonder what Amnesty International would think of that?

denis.brennan@cabinet-office.x.gsi.gov.uk

Mr Denis Brennan

Dear Denis

Just a couple of points I need answered

1> As a Civilian can you please advise me why I am not permitted to wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal without being discourteous to Her Majesty, I am not in uniform nor will ever again wear a uniform at the age of 67, I am not in the service of The Crown, so who is denying me this right? Where are the orders on the Statute Books of this country preventing my rights to do so?

2> Can you also advise me as to my Statutory Rights of Appeal against the above decision, to whom do I appeal, how do I appeal, what order do I appeal against. I have these basic rights as a law abiding citizen of the United Kingdom

So Denis whose side are you on? My side or those that have never passed any laws through Parliament by default?

John Cooper
name and address supplied

cc Sir Michael Lord MP Central Suffolk

'Been Coney'd' I really like that, it says it all

Post My letter to Mrs Beckett via a different route 

Post Letter to Margaret Beckett at FCO 
Great letter Ivor. As someone with dual Australian and British Nationality I have sent the FCO chief the following letter:

Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP
Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs
House of Commons
1 Parliament Street
London, SW1A 2NE
United Kingdom

12th September 2006

Dear Minister

Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM)- (Malaysian Service Medal)

I was party to the petition to the Queen and the Rebuttal documents that the FCO is in possession off.

As a veteran who is eligible to receive the PJM I hope that when considering the Petition to the Queen and the Rebuttal and subsequent updates that you will take into account the views of two ex-Government Ministers (who supported the wearing of the PJM while still in office), Privy Counsellors, Barristers at Law and many other MPs and distinguished people.

I believe it is within your power to lift the restriction on the wearing of the medal. The situation is a real fiasco where The Queen of Australia is quite happy for me to wear the medal on formal occasions whilst the Queen of the United Kingdom does not allow the medal to be worn. This is a ludicrous situation and an insult to the Government of Malaysia. It brings the Imperial Honours system into disrepute. Australians cannot believe that HMG can come up with such a half baked ministerial edict on the restriction on wearing the medal. After all the Governor General, the Queen's representative is entiled to wear the PJM on formal occasions.

Please use some common sense in this matter. Abolish the HD committee if necessary.

I look forward to your response to my letter.

Yours sincerely

Hamish Waters
Borneo Veteran, British Army

http://www.fight4thepjm.org

cc Mr Dennis Brennan, Cabinet Office

There are some cracking letters there chaps! I can't as yet write another to said ma'am as I am still awaiting a reply from the last one on August 12th!

Post Re: Letter to Margaret Beckett at FCO 
hamishw wrote:
Great letter Ivor. As someone with dual Australian and British Nationality I have sent the FCO chief the following letter:

And another cracker from you, Hamish.

You didn't mince your words, but then why should you.

A great suggestion about dismantling the HD Committee - with one exception, Denis Brennan, they are part-timers who are given their scripts by two civil servants. They are blind to our case because they never get to see it.

Think about this - they only get to see and consider [b]one side of the case[/]. The one provided by the civil servants who have a track record of feeding the HD Committee myths and folklore. The members of that discredited Committee actually go so far as to say that it is [b]inappropriate[/] for them to consider what others say. They say they are n ot influenced by any politician or Department. I agree with that. They are not influenced - they are led by the nose.

How's that for 21st Century enlightened democracy within an open and listening government system!!

If they haven't got the courage or integrity to see what is going on, then it's time for those part-timers to be fired.

Post Re: Letter to Rt Hon Margaret Beckett MP 
George F wrote:
Thank You Hamish, as usual your letter has inspired me to follow suit.

And I am sure, George, that yours will inspire others too.

For it contains a classic example of double standards - the double muddle that is being used to deny British veterans, and only British veterans, the right to wear the PJM.

Barry

Reply to topic Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2