Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Cut Out the Muddle Men
Post Cut Out the Muddle Men 
The MoD have been complaining to me about the number of telephone calls they are getting from veterans about PJM applications.

I have absolutely no sympathy with their predicament and neither, I suspect, will PJMers. Why? Because, having said they've washed their hands of the PJM and have absolutely no interest in its distribution (because it is not a medal as far as they are concerned), they left all the application work and distribution problems and costs to Regimental Associations, the NMBVA, and the Malaysians.

But the MoD could not stop interfering - they have chosen to forward applications from Associations to the Malaysian High Commission. In my view they are doing this hoping the Malaysians will not twig that the duplicitous MoD have reneged on the initial understanding that they would verify service records. They are not doing that and thus they have relegated the honourable Malaysian medal to the trinket level.

Here is my email to Richard Coney about this aspect:

Date: 04/08/2006 12:26
To: "Coney, Richard Mr" <Richard.Coney506@mod.uk>

Richard,

The MoD has only itself to blame [for the telephone calls] because they have placed themselves firmly and centrally in the distribution process in so far as they are forwarding applications to the MHC. Why are you doing this when you claim to have no responsibilities regarding the PJM and its distribution?

In order to resolve your telephone and time problem, why not remind the Malaysians that (a) the MoD has no responsibilities for the PJM and (b) has absolutely no interest in being involved in the PJM and its distribution and (c) that it is a matter for the MHC and Regimental Associations and the NMBVA to receive applications, stamp them, and then forward them direct to the MHC, who must arrange their own distribution at their own cost? And get Chris Edge [the central civil servant at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office] to do the same in respect of (b) and (c).

In other words, cut out the muddle men.

Regards,

Barry

- - - - - ends - - -

I doubt that he will do any of that because, to do so would mean teh MoD would have to make it as clear as a pikestaff that tghey are not fulfilling one of the Malaysians key requests - that service records be checked ... and applications not merely stamped.

Post .. 

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Suggest then that we make MORE telephone calls, I have never encountered such an egoist organisation as the MoD they are aloof from the people they are supposed to represent, if this lot was run on commercial lines they would have gone into receivership yonks ago.

They make me want to puke, time to be not so nice to them me thinks.........

Suggest then that we make MORE telephone calls, I have never encountered such an egoist organisation as the MoD they are aloof from the people they are supposed to represent, if this lot was run on commercial lines they would have gone into receivership yonks ago.

They make me want to puke, time to be not so nice to them me thinks.........

Correct John and they have been getting away with it for so long now that they think they are untouchable. They say the Queen takes advice only from her Ministers, yet in the PJM medal case it was advice from unelected civilians and the Queen issued orders to British Citizens, you will not wear the PJM - which is a complete disregard for our democratic system where the Sovereign is the Constitutional Head and does not make rules against Citizens. I am not too good at history but didn't the people of Britain fight a civil war and Oliver Cromwell won and stopped the Sovereign doing just this. The unelected Civil Servants of this country have become too powerful and self-opinionated and it is time they were slapped down and put back in their place. This will only happen when we have a government which is more concerned for our country than running to America to impress the world on personal ability, or one who is too far up his own a**e he cannot see the real world and believes he is a cowboy who can bully everyone including his diary secretary.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1