Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
First British PJMs to be presented on the 19th July
Great to see these stories published Paul and Laurie, thanks for sharing them.

Laurie as you live in Penang perhaps you could give us some feedback of some of the views of ordinary Malaysians of the attitude of HMG decision here, perhaps they are not aware of the problem, as per the Colonel in the BHC in KL

Great to see these stories published Paul and Laurie, thanks for sharing them.

Laurie as you live in Penang perhaps you could give us some feedback of some of the views of ordinary Malaysians of the attitude of HMG decision here, perhaps they are not aware of the problem, as per the Colonel in the BHC in KL

John, I have only spoken to a few local poeple about this subject. They, like us, cannot understand why we are not allowed to wear the medal.

I think most Malaysians are not aware of the problem.

The ceremony at the Malaysian High Commission in Landon has again featured in the Malaysian press today. The Sunday Star has this article:

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/23/focus/14918802&sec=focus

The ceremony at the Malaysian High Commission in Landon has again featured in the Malaysian press today. The Sunday Star has this article:

Laurie, it was a good article to which I have just responded, as follows.

Choi Tuck Wo
Editor, European Union Bureau.
London (e-mail: twchoi@thestar.com.my)

Dear Sir,

Reference: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/7/23/focus/14918802&sec=focus

I have just read your account of your being present at the presentation of the PJM to British Veterans of the Emergency and Malaysian Confrontation.

An excellent account was given by you in your article. It certainly was a moving experience by the Veterans who were their to receive their Pingat Jasa Malaysia (The Malaysian Service Medal). Some, according to you, being moved to tears.

It was however deficient in one very important respect.

You neglected to inform your Malaysian readers of The Star, that these Veterans that Malaysia honoured with the PJM, are dishonoured by the UK Government, who have declared that the PJM is but a mere trinket, and not fit to be worn by those Veterans.

How so?

HMG have declared that these veterans do not have the permission of Her Majesty, The Queen, to wear the PJM.

It would be nice to be able to read another article written by you, informing the peoples of Malaysia who are of the opinion that Her Majesties Government has allowed this honourable medal to be worn by honourable Veterans of the two conflicts.

Some of the veterans are not able to receive their PJM, they died defending your country, during these conflicts.

It is worth quoting back to you part of your article and what the Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia said:

"One can almost feel their deep sense of pride and satisfaction for having played a crucial role in keeping Malaysia safe from the communists."

and

"Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Raza summed up his admiration for the veterans’ dedication and professionalism with one of Shakespeare's quotes that “one man in his time plays many parts”.

“All of you played a part in our march towards nationhood – young, innocent, I could imagine virgins as well,” he said to laughter from the floor."

You are in a position to defend their honour. Write the article. The peoples of Malaysia and those dead veterans deserve that second article.

Your faithfully

John Feltham
Veteran - Malaya, North Borneo (Sabah), Sarawak and Brunei.

PO Box 59
WULGURU 4811
Australia

Email: jsf@iinet.net.au

Post More Images of the Occasion 
We have posted some more images of the occasion!

go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_brit_presentation.htm.

Post Re: More Images of the Occasion 
BarryF wrote:
We have posted some more images of the occasion!

go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_brit_presentation.htm.

And we've done it again! We've updated some text and posted a newspaper article.

See http://www.fight4thepjm.org/the_pjm_brit_presentation.htm

Post New from the British High Commission 
My good friend Nagei who lives in Melaka and is an ex-British Army-Malayan Soldier has sent me this cutting from the British High Commission in KL:

Recognition shows maturity
By BOYD McLEARY, British High Commission, Kuala Lumpur

04 August, 2006
I WAS pleased to see the report "40 British war veterans honoured for services" (NST, July 20). Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak presented the first Pingat Jasa Malaysia in London for war veterans who served in Malaya.

The British Government and veterans welcome this recognition for the contributions made by British and Commonwealth servicemen, policemen and civilians to preserve a free democratic, multicultural and multireligious nation, which is the successful Malaysia we know today.

I agree with Tunku Abdul Aziz ("Timely recognition of our good fortune" — NST, July 24) that recognition of the role played by the Commonwealth forces shows that Malaysia has the maturity to live with its past and take the challenges of the future in its stride.

In order to allow acceptance of the PJM, Queen Elizabeth II has made an exception to the rule which does not normally allow British servicemen to accept foreign awards.

A few British servicemen are concerned that the exception does not allow the wearing of the medal by British servicemen. This is due to a long-standing custom in our armed services.

However, the wearing of medals by civilians (as the veterans now are) is not policed. No laws are broken. So it is for individuals to decide whether they wish to wear the medal.

Next year will be the 50th anniversary of Independence and Visit Malaysia Year. We hope a large number of veterans who served here from the Second World War, the Emergency and the Confrontation will return to celebrate the last 50 years and look forward to extending the partnership and friendship between our two countries. "

Seems like the BHC is well steeped in the crass ignorance and insensitivity of HMG. The best way that this country can acknowledge that "partnership and friendship between our two countries" is to tell the Queen to give the honourable Pingat Jasa Malaysia the integrity it deserves - and give those who earned it, the honour they deserve. Men like Nagei.

Post PJM Medal 
It was a great honour and priviledge to receive the PJM and it will certainly be worn at all times possible with pride.

A very very great thanks must go to all those that have worked really hard to allow us to receive the PJM.

Reply to topic Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4