Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Salam Sejahtera & Terima Kasih
Post Salam Sejahtera & Terima Kasih 
I am a Malaysian who was born after many of the troubles in our region were essentially over (with the exception of the low level insurgency fought by the communists from the mid 70s onwards) and unfortunately the role played by the Commonwealth forces in our nascent years are increasingly being forgotten, whether deliberately or otherwise. At least that was the case from the 80s onwards when our official history became increasingly nationalised and ethnicised. I am therefore heartened to know that my government has finally seen it fit to recognise the veterans who have served in my country and risked life and limb for a culture and entity that was probably very alien to them when they first set foot on our soil.

Tahniah dan syabas!

When I found out that the British government has found it inconvenient to allow these veterans to wear these recognitions, I was naturally incensed. Whatever the altruistic justifications given in any war, it is common knowledge that if it wasn't for economic or politically strategic reasons, nobody would bother .. and when they did in SEA, it was the National Servicemen who bore the brunt of the action and casualties .. not the suited policy makers both in Whitehall and Kuala Lumpur. Now the successors and recipients of the privileges that these sacrifices have brought forth have, possibly again for narrow political reasons, see it fit to deny those who sacrificed the necessary recognition that such sacrifices deserve.

I stand in solidarity, as a Malaysian and a former Territorial Army serviceman, with my brethren in the UK in their struggle to get recognition that they so justly deserve.

Terima kasih.

Post Re: Salam Sejahtera & Terima Kasih 
BobK wrote:
I am a Malaysian ... I stand in solidarity, as a Malaysian and a former Territorial Army serviceman, with my brethren in the UK in their struggle to get recognition that they so justly deserve. Terima kasih.

Thanks for your support, BobK. If you go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/whatwesay_cut_to_the_chase.htm, you'll see our attempt to say "Terima Kasih" to the Malaysian people for the honour they have paid us ..."Kami ingin mengucapkan ribuan terima kasih kepada sahabat Malaysia sekalian diatas penganugerahan yang istimewa ini. Terima Kasih."

Our Government's attitude does not reflect how we feel about the Pingat Jasa Malaysia. We shall wear it with honour no matter what they say.

All the best to you, Barry

Post Re: Salam Sejahtera & Terima Kasih 
Let me add my thanks Bob, to those of my comrades...your support and kind words mean a great deal to us...Please be a regular visitor to our forum.

Terima Kasih & Semoga berjaya!

Post Terima Kasih 
From an old jungle basher of the 1956 era - Yong Peng and Kluang areas, thanks Bob for your support. Please tell your friends in Malaysia we will not rest until we have this discrimination against veterans and discourtesy towards Malaysia by the unelected Honours and Decorations Committee with help from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, replaced by common sense and dignity for all.

Post BobK 
Bob
May I add my heartfelt welcome to those of my fellow veterans. You make your point clearly and succinctly. My own dealings with your countrymen left me with the impression that Malaysians are polite, honest and fair-minded. The fact that your Nation wishes to honour us with the PJM is proof of the latter. I'm glad that you realise that the attitude of those who believe they have power over what we wear, is not indicative of those of us who know Malaysia and its people. I feel very proud that I was able to play my part in helping Malaysia during those troubled early days of Nationhood. Once I am in receipt of my PJM, I shall wear it with pride alongside the CSM that my government awarded me.
I am glad that you are part of the Forum and that you can take our message to those who matter - the ordinary folk of Malaysia. Selamat Tengah Hari

I would like to add my welome and thank you for your support. I visit Malaysia at least once a year to help train your security forces. I have to say I enjoy working with the malaysian people as much now as I did during the confrontation.

Terima Kasi

Bob Bryant
(ex 40 Commando R.M.)

Keep up the good fight. May this struggle be fruitful Smile

For those that fought in the first Malayan/Malaysian campaign here is an article in todays Straits Times on our Arch Rival

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Friday/National/20060714075413/Article/local1_html

Post BobK 
BobK
I thank you for your comments, it's nice to know that we have the backing of the Malaysian People.

BobK's comments should be sent to every person in Whitehall.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1