Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Why I will wear the PJM!
Post Why I will wear the PJM! 
A colleague has just left this on my forum, I have his permission to reproduce it here

I served from 1956 - 1959 on 205/209 Squadron, then called The Far East Flying Boat Wing. Some fifty years on from then, I still keep contact with and cherish the friendships maintained between my friends of those times. Because of this I can re-live the days when we were young, fit and full of the fun that only the young can really enjoy. Unfortunately I, like so many others, am guilty of only remembering the good times and I am likely to forget the reasons why we were all there. If those of us who were there, can so easlily forget the sacrifices that were made by so many, how can the people who were not there be expected to remember.

For this reason I will accept the PJM Medal and wear it with the same pride that I wore my uniform then and display my Squadron Badges now. I would prefere to wear it with the permission of my Queen, but will do so without that permission if nesseccary.

The PJM pin, should I be awarded one, will take pride of place on which ever jacket I wear. Primarily to demonstrate my support, but also to attract questions from the curious, so that I can spread the news. Those are my reasons for applying for a badge; I'm certain that there must be others with much better reasons than mine.

The latter sentence is in response to a competition being run on my RAF Forum where a PJM pin will be awarded to the best and most apt entry

This can be extended to this forum too so if you were there and want to take part just say your piece here, I can assure you all those in the corridors of Whitehall read these pages, so get your message across to them BIG TIME!

Post Re: Why I will wear the PJM! 
John Cooper wrote:
A colleague has just left this on my forum, I have his permission to reproduce it here

I served from 1956 - 1959 on 205/209 Squadron, then called The Far East Flying Boat Wing. Some fifty years on from then, I still keep contact with and cherish the friendships maintained between my friends of those times. Because of this I can re-live the days when we were young, fit and full of the fun that only the young can really enjoy. Unfortunately I, like so many others, am guilty of only remembering the good times and I am likely to forget the reasons why we were all there. If those of us who were there, can so easlily forget the sacrifices that were made by so many, how can the people who were not there be expected to remember.

For this reason I will accept the PJM Medal and wear it with the same pride that I wore my uniform then and display my Squadron Badges now. I would prefere to wear it with the permission of my Queen, but will do so without that permission if nesseccary.

The PJM pin, should I be awarded one, will take pride of place on which ever jacket I wear. Primarily to demonstrate my support, but also to attract questions from the curious, so that I can spread the news. Those are my reasons for applying for a badge; I'm certain that there must be others with much better reasons than mine.

The latter sentence is in response to a competition being run on my RAF Forum where a PJM pin will be awarded to the best and most apt entry

This can be extended to this forum too so if you were there and want to take part just say your piece here, I can assure you all those in the corridors of Whitehall read these pages, so get your message across to them BIG TIME!

What is a PJM PIN?????????Can someone please enlighten me?

We have had designed a PJM pin badge here:-

Which translates to OUR MEDAL-OUR RIGHT

Thanks John.........I have since seen that on another thread......nice pin and I look forward to having one.

Post A TRIBUTE ALL ROUND 
Greetings from Australia. This is my first posting but I have visited the site many many times. I know that most of us here in the Antipodes have appreciated your tenacious commitment in pursuing the right to wear the PJM. WELL DONE.

I served on 3 commissions in the Far East Strategic Reserve, both in the Royal and New Zealand Navies during the 50,s and 60,s and because of similiar pursuits of medallic issues by like-minded veterans as yourself, we were eventually awarded our campaign medals.

On Anzac Day,I had "a deep and meaningful" with my wife and children. Because of my operational service my eldest daughter was one year old when I saw her for the first time. My second daughter was seven months old. My 18 month courtship of my wife was actually 9 days of service leave before we were married. Anyway, I decided that if and when I get my PJM, this one will be for them.

In keeping with that sentiment, I wrote them a poem, and thought it would be worth submitting,as I know it would reflect the feelings of many of our veterans.
MY TRIBUTE
A PJM -------FOR THOSE THAT WERE LEFT BEHIND.

MANY YEARS HAVE COME AND GONE,BUT MEMORIES STILL LINGER ON
OF BATTLES LOST AND BATTLES WON, AND PROMISES THAT WERE LEFT UNDONE.
WE HOPED THAT THE GUNS WOULD BE SILENT NOW,AND FIGHTING WOULD BE NO MORE. BUT WE HAVE NOT YET LEARNT THE LESSON, THAT NO ONE WINS A WAR.

WE HONOUR OUR DEAD AND THEIR VICTORIES,BUT IN MY HEART I FIND
THAT MAYBE WE HAVE ALL FORGOTTEN ,THE ONES THAT WERE LEFT BEHIND
THE MILITARY CHILDREN,AND THE MUM THAT WAS LEFT ALONE
AND ALL THOSE FRIGHTENED FAMILIES,STILL SURVIVING IN THEIR COMBAT ZONE

I ASK YOU TO REMEMBER,NOT ONLY THOSE THAT FOUGHT.
BUT LOVING WIVES AND CHILDREN WHE STAYED AND HELD THE FORT
LET'S REMEMBER THOSE THAT WAITED ,THEY HAD THEIR TORMENTS TOO
THOSE ANXIOUS MOMENTS LATE AT NIGHT WHEN THEY THOUGHT AND PRAYED FOR YOU

THEY BEAR THE SCARS OF LONLINESS OF HEARTACHE AND OF PAIN
AND THE MEMORIES KEEP FLOODING BACK ,TO REMIND THEM ONCE AGAIN.
THEY ARE RARELY EVER HONOURED,BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS FIND.
A SPECIAL KIND OF DIGNITY, IN THOSE THAT WERE LEFT BEHIND

I STILL SALUTE AT THE CENOTAPH,AND I WEAR MY MEDALS TOO
LEST I FORGET THE SACRIFICE OF THE FALLEN AND THE FEW
BUT I SPARE A THOUGHT FOR THOSE OTHER ONES FOR I KNOW THAT I WILL FIND A SPECIAL PLACE WITHIN MY HEART, FOR THE ONES THAT WERE LEFT BEHIND

SO I WRITE THESE WORDS AS A TRIBUTE,AND I WILL GIVE MY MEDAL TO
MY DARLING WIFE AND CHILDREN AND THE BATTLES THEY WENT THROUGH
IN ALL,FOR MY QUEEN AND COUNTRY,WHEN LIFE SEEMED SO UNKIND
THEY HELD THE FORT SECURELY, THE ONES THAT I LEFT BEHIND.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next Anzac day, my wife will march with me,and will proudly wear her medal.
I will wear it on Rememberance Day.
Congatulations on the design of the pin,very impressive. Regards aye Henry Higgins

Yes Ken

We have had designed a PJM pin badge here:-

Which translates to OUR MEDAL-OUR RIGHT

Is the Pin available for purchase?, if so where can I purchase one?.
Cheers, Ken

The badge is a wonderful idea and just the thing for eliciting questions from the curious. When and from where can I purchase one? Dave.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1