Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
I'm on board!
Post I'm on Board! 
I'll second that, George. Jock's blistering email made many telling points.

And I see , Jock, that you've not forgotten about the 'screaming taxis'!

Right on Barry!...I still remember lots of that stuff...in fact I am very often accused of having a mind filled to the brim with inconsequential trivia...but, if you have ever served with any of us Scottish fellers you'll possibly be aware that we all have a long memory for a kindness...and an even longer one for an insult!!
'Jock'

Right on Barry!...I still remember lots of that stuff...in fact I am very often accused of having a mind filled to the brim with inconsequential trivia...but, if you have ever served with any of us Scottish fellers you'll possibly be aware that we all have a long memory for a kindness...and an even longer one for an insult!!
'Jock'

I have and I do. Let's hope the HD Committe and HMG are also aware.

1st Bn Scots Guards in the 28th Commonwealth Brigade, Malacca 1965-66. I think the CO was Lt Col Sir Gregor MacGregor of MacGregor Bart, or something like that. He was a great bloke - great sense of humour. Helped push-start my landover one day. I wonder if he'll fan his nose at the HD Committee and wear his PJM.

And then the Black Watch - of Canada variety. Many served in 1969-70 in the United Nations Force in Cyprus. I lost two days of my life because of them because I can only vaguely remember New Year 69/70. Happily, my draughtsman at the HQ (an Englishman in the Royal Engineers) 'played' the bagpipes and so he did his party piece while I enjoyed their hospitality!

Another favourite Malay word ... "kapal terbang dengan kipas di-atas" translates, you will recall, as "helicopter". It means "Flying ship with a fan on the top". 'Elicopter' works just as well!

Barry....I'm afraid you have the advantage of me...your command of Malay is clearly superior to my own....I had to go to the dictionary to look up helicopter! (kapalterbang yang dapat naik tegak)...'aeroplane which can rise vertically'...but I like your colourful translation even better!....my command of the language left me much more comfortable ordering 'nasi goreng' or 'nasi lemak'...perhaps even the occasional request for 'boleh minuman Tiger bir banyak sejuh lah'...a discussion on the aerodynamic characteristics of the helicopter was a fair bit out of my league.
'Jock'

Barry....I'm afraid you have the advantage of me...your command of Malay is clearly superior to my own....I had to go to the dictionary to look up helicopter! (kapalterbang yang dapat naik tegak)...'aeroplane which can rise vertically'...but I like your colourful translation even better!....my command of the language left me much more comfortable ordering 'nasi goreng' or 'nasi lemak'...perhaps even the occasional request for 'boleh minuman Tiger bir banyak sejuh lah'...a discussion on the aerodynamic characteristics of the helicopter was a fair bit out of my league.
'Jock'

Jock,

I’ve forgotten most of my Malay learned at Nee Soon and then used in my work out there. I still have my copy of “Bill dan John Di-Tanah Malayu” from my first colloquial course, though.

But I still try a few words on my Malay contacts - those that have helped me understand their attitude to the PJM and to the Brit Government’s shameful decision. The Malaysians are well miffed at HMG treating with a total lack of respect their well-intentioned offer of acknowledgement for service to Malaysia during a very difficult time for their newly-born independent State.

The Malaysians see the Brit Government decision of the PJM as being a trinket as a deliberate snub - after all it won’t cost the Brits anything to produce and the medal will give a few veterans (service and civvy) a bit of joy and recognition for what they did.

Anyway, like you, I too could do with a few ‘coldies’ right now. As for the discussion on the aerodynamic characteristics of ‘elicopters’, I think we have a simulator designer somewhere in our PJM midst to help out if ever we get confused after our Tiger bir banyak sejuh!

Barry

My limited skills with the language have atrophied somewhat over the years too...it's difficult to maintain proficiency when one lacks opportunity to practice the skill...There was one guy I used to work with on occasion, a Malay of Chinese extraction, who incidentally, was a 'civvie' technician working for the Federation Army before his emigation to Canada...he and I had mutual memories of several camps and I always enjoyed the opportunity to get back into the language with him on any available opportunity...it served to confuse and disconcert my associates when Paul Fong and I would chatter away in this incomprehensible tongue...Hell, most of them couldn't understand my accented brand of English very well, never mind Basaha Melayu!

Haven't had the chance to discuss with anyone of Malay extraction their feelings re the implied insult offered to their nation by HMG...but I'd be very surprised if their attitudes were much different to our own.

Jaga baik-baik lah!

'Jock'

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1