Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Hansard and the HMG View
Post Hansard and the HMG View 
John Feltham (ICENI) has sent this through

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200405/ldhansrd/vo050111/text/50111w03.htm

All British citizens require permission from HMG to accept and wear foreign state awards. HMG have, to date, received no request from the Malaysian Government for this medal to be presented to British ex-servicemen who are veterans of the Emergency or Confrontation in Malaya.

SO shall we all write to HMG seeking that permission?

John.

That House of Lords statement was 14 months ago in january 2005.

Yes George it was but was that statement ever withdrawn by the Baroness or HMG? Just a thought

George F wrote:

The Baronnes is old news, but like many others gone before and after her she was only a messenger passing on incorrect information given to her from the MOD.

SO I interpret that as MISLEADING information, if that is correct and the BARONESS in question has HERSELF not withdrawn that statement then that IMO is Maladministration.........

Post TheyWorkForYou 
I've just visited this site again. The subject of the Gurkhas was raised in the Commons and I've responded with an appropriate PJM comment.

Post Re: Hansard and the HMG View 
John Cooper wrote:
John Feltham (ICENI) has sent this through

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200405/ldhansrd/vo050111/text/50111w03.htm

All British citizens require permission from HMG to accept and wear foreign state awards. HMG have, to date, received no request from the Malaysian Government for this medal to be presented to British ex-servicemen who are veterans of the Emergency or Confrontation in Malaya.

SO shall we all write to HMG seeking that permission?

Here is the full quote from Hansard.

Service Medals
Lord Chadlington asked Her Majesty's Government:

Whether present or former eligible members of Her Majesty's forces will be entitled to wear the medal recently awarded by the government of Malaysia to all Commonwealth ex-servicemen who served in either the emergency or the confrontation between 1957 and 1966. [HL582]

Baroness Symons of Vernham Dean: No. HMG's rules on the acceptance and wearing of foreign awards preclude the acceptance of medals for events in the distant past or more than five years previously. In addition, the rules do not allow for a foreign award to be accepted if a British award has been given for the same service. Eligible veterans of the Emergency or Confrontation in Malaya should already have received the Malaya Bar to their General Service Medal.

======================================================

It is the last sentence that I was drawing attention to.

She said that no request had been received up to that time from the Malaysian Government.

I would call that a lie, some might call it an untruth. But I know a lie when I see a lie.

And, as has been pointed out (above), I have not seen a withdrawal of that statement in Hansard. So, do we have a case of maladministration or not?

Post The Law. 
British Citizens must obey the law of their country. The law is made by Parliament and given Royal Assent before it can be part of the legislation of our country.

There is no law which states that British Citizens cannot accept or wear Foreign awards without Her Majesty's Government's permission. There are rules but these are not part of our law.

The order, command, or rule, which states that the PJM can be accepted but cannot be worn is not legal. It is said that the FCO is fully responsible for foreign awards and that their rules dictate that Her Majesty the Queen must give permission for the PJM to be accepted or refuse permission for it not to be worn. This was on the advice of the FCO through their agents the HD Committee, an unelected gang who are actually not part of HMG.

The Queen states she is the Constitutional Head of our country and acts on the advice of her ministers, so she has in this case acted on the advice of the FCO who have NO LEGAL RIGHT whatsoever to advise Her Majesty that she can deny civilians the right to wear the PJM.

In the 21st century this is not acceptable and it breaches Human Rights legislation which states that we must be treated fairly under the law. I am no Human Rights lawyer but being treated fairly under the law means to me that we should all be treated fairly by those who have managerial control over us.

So now we have them telling us a). wearing the PJM will not be policed. b). eligible British Citizens will have to decide for themselves whether or not they wear the PJM. c) those with Australian/British dual nationality can wear the PJM in Australia. d). wearing of the PJM will be a grave discourtesy to the Queen - WHY? The Queen is only doing what her FCO tells her, so are we not being discourteous only to the FCO.

They are acting illegally and untruthfully because they do not have a leg to stand on and if there was a minor degree of intelligence and humanity amongst them they would put a stop to this illegal nonsense now and agree to the unresticted acceptance of the PJM.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1