Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
David Ernest Dilley
Post David Ernest Dilley 
It is with sadness that I inform you of the death of David Ernest Dilley.
David has been a very supportive member in our fight for the PJM. David wrote many letters some of them for me when the Whitehall Civil Servants refused to answer mine
His funeral will be at the Milton Malsor Crematorium, Northamptonshire NN4 9RN at 2pm 14th November.

Ah, sadness is not reduced by inevitability. I knew him only through the pages of this forum but clearly a fighting spirit forged in the years of the blitz, the epitome of the bulldog breed that shrugs off all adversity and despises both the bully and the unworthy - and all the injustices they would collude and try.

May he rest in peace, the fighting done. Condolences to his family and friends (whose numbers surely grew during the course of the long skirmish for the PJM).

Steve

Post David Dilly RIP 
How sad that I read the news of David's death.

He was an ocassional contributor to The Antigua and Barbuda 10th Anniversary postings, and poignant they were. The photo of him in hospital in his PJs wearing his PJM, summed the man up entirely.

We never met, but knew him as a fellow traveller on life's highway, who had joined in our fight for injustice, which as a valuable contributor, lived to see it through to the satisfactory end.

We will raise a glass to you today and remember your long fight with illness, which you had bourne with fortitude and good humour, and our lives are enriched for having known you.

I can see it now, David standing at the pearly gates with a trident in his hands handing out halo's and wings to the righteous, and informing snotty Javrin , Coney, et al when they finally arrive, you can have them, but not to wear.

Here's to you David. You've earned your rest.

Arthur R-S

John

Kuching.
Post David Dilley - Friend and Comrade in Arms 
Yes. It was with great sadness that we heard of David's death.

David joined us 6 years ago and fought for the right writing many letters, sending emails, and posting on this website - 668 times. I spoke to him often.

He never wavered.

The F4 was not the only way he supported veterans. His work for SSAFA and the RBL will always be remembered.

Was this really a years ago:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/images/David_Dilley_The_Star_Malaysia_171111_p2.pdf

His last posting was on the 3rd December 2011 when he had returned from hospital and I, for one, was humbled by his words to everyone at the F4:

================================

Dear Friends and fellow PJMers.

Thank you all for your best wishes.

My condition is inoperable; I'm being treated with inhibitors; Mr Hunter and the Surgical Team, and the nursing staff, at Northampton NGH Trust practically worked a miracle to get me home and the physio-terrorists in the hospital gym played a terrific part in getting me to my present state of health. I feel fit in myself generally , enjoying my independence and 'raring to go'.

I, as I'm, sure we all are, will be ever grateful to Barry and the executive (why not) and those, including myself, who had the privilege to support them.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and many Happy New Years.

Yours, Aye

David

================================

Nothing more to say.

I won't forget David. Especially on Remembrance Day.

Barry

Our thoughts are with David's family. RIP.

PaulA has asked for these three pictures to be posted from Alrewas on Remembrance Sunday, I will let Paul explain the significance in doing so

The cross by the PJM Memorial Plaque has David’s name on it which I placed there on Sunday 11th Nov in his memory.

Post New Years Honour 
I found out today (at the funeral) that David was due an honour in the New Years Honours list for his work with SSAFA, as the award cannot be given posthumously it has had to be withdrawn.

Now I know why david's phone made no response when I rang him on Monday. I just wanted to tell him that Kathy and I had begun to get used to our new home south of the border and would motor down to see him come the spring.

Thing is that I don't know exactly what to say in respect of honouring WO1 Dilley, RASC. To hope that he might rest in peace is totally inappropriate.......so, I'll just say....."Carry on as normal, old comrade", wherever you have been posted.

Post David Dilley 
I can add nothing to the tributes paid by others. I never met him, but I feel that we were friends due to the common fight. It's a shame that the honour that was to be his in the New Year's Honours will now not be awarded - another example of the archaic Honours system in this country. RIP, David.
GerryL

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1