Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Medals and decorations of Fiji propagate PJM forum.
Post Re: Medals and decorations of Fiji propagate PJM forum. 
George F wrote:
. . . fight4thepjm.org ... http://www.geocities.com/athens/4795/Fiji.htm

The oxygen of publicity!

Well spotted, George.

George F wrote:
"The wearing of unauthorised awards (like the PJM) is a grave discourtesy to Her Majesty The Queen". See " Wearing of medals after leaving the Service" http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=35737/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html

George,

Am I right in thinking that the original quote was "The wearing of unauthorised awards is a grave discourtesy to Her Majesty The Queen" and did not include the words in parenthesis "(like the PJM)"?

I didn't think the PJM was 'unauthorised'. It has been accepted by the Queen. Doesn't that make it "authorised"?

Surely the Queen has not been told by the HD Committee and the British Imperial Honours System to accept an unauthorised souvenir, a trinket, an unwearable keepsake, for her British subjects having previously been told to accept a medal that can be worn 'in line' with pride and honour by the rest of the Commonwealth!

That would be asking the Queen to discriminate as between her Commonwealth citizens. After all, we all did the same service, didn't we?

1. Except the British were the only ones to serve in all areas throughout PJM service.

2. Except the British are the only ones to have thousands of men and women who do not have a medal for their service in Malaysia (despite what HMG would want you to believe).

3. Except that the British have a view that medals should be linked to how much blood is spilled - apparently we didn't spill enough in Malaysia to warrant these medals! (see Cabinet Office letter to you dated 13th January 2006 *)

Would anyone living in the global world in 2006 'adam and eve' any of that? Nah! Did they learn nothing from the Vietnam bloody blitzkriegs that inevitably led to defeat compared to our hearts and minds campaign where we put our lives on the line while working with the Malaysian people that led to victory?

Nah! There's gotta have been a cock-up in the system somewhere that somebody needs to put right quickly before the HD Committee and the British Government cause any more embarrassment to the Queen.

And they should fix it before anyone starts mischievously suggesting (far be it from me to do so!) that the British Government and their medals system see themselves as apart from the rest of the civilised world who do not rely upon body counts to determine whether a medal should be wearable.

Barry

[quote="BarryF
And they should fix it before anyone starts mischievously suggesting that the British Government and their medals system see themselves as apart from the rest of the civilised world who do not rely upon body counts to determine whether a medal should be wearable.

Barry[/quote]

OK I will state the above if you don't Barry

"And they should fix it before anyone starts mischievously suggesting (far be it from me to do so!) that the British Government and their medals system see themselves as apart from the rest of the civilised world who do not rely upon body counts to determine whether a medal should be wearable.
"

Body count less in the Falklands Conflict than the Malayan Emergency

BarryF wrote:
(see Cabinet Office letter to you dated 13th January 2006 *)

Herewith the Cabinet Office letter (to be fair, they quote the MOD and thereby diplomatically distanced themselves from the MOD) that endeavours to explain the absence of British medals (and that absence of medals was not restricted to the early 60's - it continued for most of the period of PJM service in Singapore and on the Peninsula in the middle 60's) by stating that there is a correlation between what is essentially 'body counts' and medals:

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/cabinet_letter_1_GF_na.jpg

http://www.fight4thepjm.org/documents/cabinet_letter_2_GF_na.jpg

John Cooper wrote:
Body count less in the Falklands Conflict than the Malayan Emergency

Malaya/Borneo veterans did their bit, John. You and I both did our bit. And you and I do not do body counts. And you and I honour our mates who died in the Far East and in the Falklands. And you and I will remember the dead of all combatants in all wars.

Because that's what we do. Because we did serve, and we'll never forget.

We'll never forget - whether the campaign was 40 years ago or whether it was 25 years ago.

We shall be there next year to remember the 25th Anniversary of the Falklands campaign. The Government are planning major events, I hear.

Err ... that prompts a thought. Going back to the point you make as quoted above, was there ever any commemoration for the Malaya/Borneo campaigns?

I can’t remember one. I can’t remember any events on the 25th anniversary - and none are planned for the 40th (we can change that - but the establishment won’t be too pleased with how we can do that!).

Nothing to do with Malaysia being in an ex-colonial country where that independent sovereign state successfully defended itself (with help from Malaya/Borneo veterans) from terror and aggression? Nah!

Nothing to do with anything not British being not respectable in these matters? Nah!

Nothing to do with Gordon Brown preferring his Veterans Day - carefully chosen to coincide with the 40th Anniversary on the Malaysian Peninsula and thus eclipse our Anniversary? Nah!

… even I couldn’t think thoughts like that!

George F wrote:
I wish to expose the compiler of this pretentious totalitarian tosh for what it is in todays 21st Century.

Err ... think you just did that, George.

May I be the first to say "Congrats".

And the first to second your opinion.

Barry

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1