Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Lt.Col.Young
Post Lt.Col.Young 
I have just received the attached letter. It's a really good bit of news and is support from a very significant quarter. I shall respond later this evening. In the meantime, I wanted to share the news.

Dear Mr Law.

Our Lord Lieutenant Captain Cunningham-Jardine has sent me a copy of your "Fight
For The Right to Wear The Pingat Jasa Malaysiaā€¯ document and I am equally happy
to add my support to your campaign. I regard the Governments action as being supine,
rude to a fellow Commonwealth country, illogical and unsupportive of British
veterans.

Our local Member of the Westminster Parliament, Mr David Mundell MP, has, I
know, fought hard to achieve the same objectives as yourself and if you are not in
touch with him then 1 do suggest you make an approach.

I served in Borneo, commanding 19 Infantry Brigade Provost Unit RMP from April
until December 1965, based in Sarawak with a detachment in Sabah and although I
have a copy of the application form have not so far bothered to send it off as there
seems little point having a medal which will sit in a drawer, rather than being worn.

There seem to be various Government arguments for disallowing it. That of not being
a British issue can be countered by numerous servicemen to my knowledge wearing
medals issued by Oman, West Indies, Malaysia and even US awards. Granted these
were not issued retrospectively for such a large number of years but this is countered
by the recent awards of the croix de Guerre awarded to World War I survivors and
Russian medals to Artic convoy veterans. is the UN superior to the Commonwealth?

I am very willing to add my support to your campaign and wish you well. I would
also add my gratitude for your efforts in taking it up.

Yours sincerely,

M G A Young
Lieutenant Colonel (retd)

....the Lt. Col. sounds like he is about as P'O'd as we are with this charade...and it did not escape my notice that he was apparently 'recruited' by his Lord Lieutenant...certainly would be advantageous to have both of these men 'within the fold' so to speak?

Post Response 
Here is my response to Lt.Col.Young

Dear Lieutenant Colonel Young
Thank you for your letter, which arrived today, concerning the above medal. Your support for the Campaign is highly valued and the more so because of your senior rank. Mr David Mundell MP has been a tireless advocate of the justice of our fight almost from day one - if only more of his parliamentary colleagues showed the same level of integrity.

You say that you have an application form but have not yet submitted it. I would suggest that you do so as if you do not have the medal, you cannot wear it, and wear it we shall. The "powers that be" seem to believe that they have the authority to dictate what a group of veterans, now in their 60's and 70's, may wear on the civilian clothes. In fact, they have no such authority. The Ministerial Statement of 31 January 2006 announced that the 2 rules normally invoked, double medalling and the 5year rule, had been set aside when recommending that the PJM be accepted. It then appeared to contradict itself by using the 5 year rule to say that permission to wear it will not "formally" be given. They are unable or unwilling to define what they mean by "formal" in this context.

The author of the Statement, Mr Ian Pearson, has admitted in a letter to me that there is no law in the land that can prevent us from wearing the medal. It is purely a protocol matter. This protocol is the handiwork of a discredited political and administrative system. Without getting into a political debate, as the Campaign is outside and beyond politics, we have only to see the lack of integrity and performance that appears to be the norm.

Like all of your comrades who served in all Services and from many parts of the Commonwealth, you have earned your PJM by your loyal service, something that is clearly not recognised by those who sit on Committees in Whitehall. I would ask that you visit the web site www.fight4thepjm.org where you will see the arguments laid out clearly for all to see. We would be highly honoured if you would register on the site. In just 3 months over 500 individuals have registered, not all of them PJM qualifiers but people with a sense for the injustice that has been infllicted upon the veterans. If you then feel that you can offer further support in the form of contact with MP's and other decision makers, then that would be tremendous. You may be aware from an article in Monday's Daily Record, that Colonel Fairweather of the KOSB's has taken up the cudgels (or should that be Claymores) on behalf of his Regiment.

Forty years ago our joint efforts in the inhospitable jungles, resulted in success. We shall certainly not be beaten today by a group of hidebound Sir Humphrey Applebys who have no concept of what was endured all those years ago and who try to assume powers that they dont, in law, possess. Our Campaign boasts 2 holders of the VC and also Dame Vera Lynn amongst its supporters. We are more than a match for anyone. There will only be one outcome - we shall wear our PJMs alongside any other medals that we may have earned, because of just that - we have earned them.
Best Wishes

Post Lt. Colonel Young 
Gerry he says OUR Lord Lietenant Captain Ronnie Cunningham-Jardine got in touch with him. Is he resident in the south of Scotland. Captain Ronnie is a very keen supporter of the military and a Royal British Legion member of many years so perhaps they both are. This will mean that the RBL could be getting stick. Captain Ronnie retires at the end of this year so I wonder of Lt. Colonel Young will be taking over from him. I will try and find out.

Post Re: Response 
GerryL wrote:
You say that you have an application form but have not yet submitted it. I would suggest that you do so as if you do not have the medal, you cannot wear it, and wear it we shall. The "powers that be" seem to believe that they have the authority to dictate what a group of veterans, now in their 60's and 70's, may wear on the civilian clothes. In fact, they have no such authority. The Ministerial Statement of 31 January 2006 announced that the 2 rules normally invoked, double medalling and the 5year rule, had been set aside when recommending that the PJM be accepted. It then appeared to contradict itself by using the 5 year rule to say that permission to wear it will not "formally" be given. They are unable or unwilling to define what they mean by "formal" in this context.

Gerry, this is brilliant news. Many, many, congratulations - and on your reply. In encouraging Colonel Young to apply for the medal, you might want to add that that is what the Malaysians want us to do - and then to wear it. Tell him Admiral Sir Brian Brown has said he will wear it, as will our two VC's ... and us!

Barry

The support that we are now receiving appears to be coming from all quarters. I suspect that there is a great game going on in the "Corridors of Power".

I believe that the name of the is, "Pass the Parcel".

Post LT.Col. Young 
"Pass The Buck" seems even more appropriate.....
Terry...

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1