Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Veterans in battle for right to wear medal
Well spotted George, there are a couple of big guns there and all the comments seem to sum up the situation well. I wonder if in the last statement by an Army Spokesperson that the word 'disgruntled' is getting through!!

Just a thought but what part could the Scottish Parliament play in our campaign.
If SMPs backed us and even passed a bill alowing the Jocks to wear the medal in Scotland that would put the brown stuff well into the fan and when in comes out the other end some of it just might hit TB.

Well done Scotland.

Just a thought but what part could the Scottish Parliament play in our campaign.
If SMPs backed us and even passed a bill alowing the Jocks to wear the medal in Scotland that would put the brown stuff well into the fan and when in comes out the other end some of it just might hit TB.

Paul, I contacted Alex Salmon, SNP some time ago and when I got no reply contacted him again with 'shall I put you down on our list as not interested'. I got a rather irate reply from a Mr. Smith (honestly) in Alex Salmond's office who said I had only given them three weeks to consider my request and they would be back in touch with me. Needless to say I have heard nothing more. I will contact them again. I doubt if our 'wee pretendy Parliament' would have the power to award medals or Honours but it will do not harm to ask.

Post Scotland the Brave 
The article is really good. It give the argument in clear and concise terms. I've always thought that in any tough fight you need 3 things on your side, the justice of your cause, the ammunition and the Jocks. The first will ensure you the moral victory, the second will ensure that you can bombard the enemy and the third will ensure that no matter how bad the fight might go on a day to day basis, the tenacity of the guys in sporrans will see you through. (And if that fails, there's always the bagpipes - cause of many a wilting enemy of sterner stuff than the HD Committee).

Post The Record (or should that be "the Scottish Newspaper?) 
I've just emailed the editor to thank him for airing this topic.

But the walls of Jerico did come a tumbling down!!
Great article.

Bob Bryant

Post The Record 
Great article we need more like it. Perhaps a company of ex KOSB veterans could form a picket line with placards outside HD committee office in Whitehall.

Hamish

Post One more angry Jock involved! 
E-mailed this am....somebody who takes the Record please keep me advised as to whether we gain any 'extra ink' as a result?

Dear Mr McGivern,

Having just read your excellent piece (forwarded to me by one of your readers) on the topic of the Pingat Jasa Malaysia, and the fight for the right to wear that honour. As an expatriate, Edinburgh raised boy myself, and a veteran of the Malayan 'Emergency', let me say that I am in full agreement with your correspondent Col. Clive Fairweather...please give your consideration to the following as a submission to your 'Letters to the Editor' section.
Thanks......'Jock' Fenton.
===============================

The Editor; Daily Record,

Dear Sir,

Mark McGivern's excellent piece on the fight for the right to wear the PJM covers the essential points of this struggle very well.Col. Clive Fairweather's comments regarding the insult given to the veterans and to the Malaysian people by this pettiness are well taken. As a veteran of the Malayan 'Emergency myself, I applaud his statements and would add only, that refusal to permit veterans to 'formally' wear this medal also denigrates the sacrifice made by 519 of Col. Fairweather's (and my) comrades who gave their very lives in the struggle.

As for the comments of the 'spokesman for the army in Scotland'...in his sycophantic rush to parrot the official line, he makes the fundamental error of confusing 'soldiers' with 'veterans'...all of the recipients of the PJM are civilian seniors in their 60's and 70's...no longer subject to military dress codes.

As for the assertion that 'some soldiers are disgruntled'. Permit me to respectfully suggest that your readers access the website at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/index.htm and assess the level of emotion for themselves.

John 'Jock' Fenton
(ex Royal Corps of Signals & 17th Gurkha Division

Post KOSB 
As an ex-KOSB in Malaya (1956-5Cool I am very proud of the Scottish Daily Record article and the support we are getting in our fight4thepjm. I also wrote the journalist to thank him.

Post Private Eye 
I've just emailed Private Eye to give them a lead in to our Campaign. The editor, Ian Hislop, is a very patriotic chap who hates petty-minded politicians and hypocracy. It will be interesting to see if he pick it up.

Post More Daily Record stuff.... 
Just heard again from Mark McGivern, the reporter for the Record.

...they are running a story about Col. Ian Crooke tomorrow so we may get a fair bit of notice by association...Mr McGivern also told me that IF a follow up on today's story is considered he'll contact me for 'background information'....and Boy, do I have access to that!!!

Post Daily Record 
Jock
That's really great news. "They" will have to sit up and take notice. You would have hoped that that would have had more sense than to try to take us on. Whereas we veterans band together in comradeship to defeat the enemy, the politicians and Uncivil Unservants fight with each other and play the "not me, guv" game.

Well Gerry....win, lose or draw....'they' are going to remember that we gave them a fight!

Post Daily Record 
I could be wrong, but isn't the Daily Record a sister paper of the Daily Mirror?

Jock, if so ask Mark McGivern to pass on the story.

Many Thanks
and
WELL DONE SCOTLAND

Post Bingo! 
Just rec'd another e-mail from Mark McGivern of the Daily Record...advising me that the letter I submitted yesterday, made it past the eagle eyed scrutiny of the Editor and will be printed tomorrow (Wednesday)...hopefully this might result in a wee bit more activity on our Website?...and dare I hope, a wee bit more rectal irritation in certain lofty administrative circles.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next