Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
More Memories of Ops at Sea!
Post More Memories of Ops at Sea! 
Our staunch supporter from Oz, Ivor Rich, has kindly sent us some images from his days in the Royal Navy in the Far East.

When sending them he said: "In February 1963 during operations in the Alice Channel off Sabah, Able Seaman Alan Sutherland from the Barrosa was killed when boarding a suspect boat. Although it was before my time on the Barossa, it made us realise what a fragile environment we served in."

Yes, it was a fragile environment, but Commonwealth forces eventually prevailed over those who used force and aggression to try and prevent Malaysia from being independent and from enjoying future prosperity, and that is why the Malaysian Government presented Ivor with his PJM. Australia understood that and was pleased to accept the Pingat Jasa Malaysia for wear by its eligible citizens. The UK government, led by the nose by a handful of civil servants, see it differently and view our service and the PJM as not up to a standard and are trying to prevent it being worn by UK citizens! I wonder what AB Sutherland and his family would make of that.

So, having got that off my chest (not a sea chest - I was army!), put the kettle on, or pop a cork, and meander down memory shippping lanes once again. Go to our Memories pages and, in particular, Ivor's new page at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_navy_3.htm.

I see on Ivor's photo shoot, that he was on HMS Alert. I remember that ship as part of the Far East Fleet in HK harbour, tied up at HMS Tamar, back about 1956-7. The admiral's pennant was flying from it if my old memory recalls correctly - was that Ivor's Wink

Yes that was the Alert. She was launched as the Dundrum Bay at the end of the second world war, She was then converted into a despatch vessel and renamed the Alert and spent all her service on the far east station. I served on the Alert during her last commission 63-64. She was the flagship if the C-in-C far east and was affectionately known as the C-in-C's yacht. Although the rear section was fitted out for the aristocracy we were left to fend for ourselves with what was left so living conditions were quite poor even by 1960' standard. I slept on a camp bed by the 4" gun turret, which was OK until we hit bad weather. It was well equiped for patrolling although not vary fast, about 14 knots flat out. Nothing worked very well, after 2 days at sea we had fresh water shortages and was almost impossible to get a cold drink, unless you bought one from the canteen. She was uncomfortable, out of date, but we loved her. The Skipper was Commander Jessop RN an absolute gentleman.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1