Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
CROWN SERVANTS FOR LIFE.
Post CROWN SERVANTS FOR LIFE. 
Dennis Brennan, the Secretary of the HD Committee has said ‘All those who served in Her Majesty’s Forces during the Malayan conflict were doing so as Crown Servants. Notwithstanding the fact that they have now retired the definition of a Crown Servant continues to apply’. So we are all defined (by Mr. Brennan) to be Crown Servants for life, so how does his nonsensical decision compare with the following -

British citizens who served in HM Forces after 1957 and have been declared Crown servants for life…… are NOT permitted to wear the PJM.

British citizens (civilians and deceased’s relatives) who have never served in HM Forces but are classed as Crown servants for life……are NOT permitted to wear the PJM.

British citizens who served in HM Forces after 1957 declared Crown servants for life, but did not merit the award of a British medal (double medaling) and do not meet the requirement of the double medal rules …..are NOT allowed to wear the PJM.

Nepalese citizens (not British nationals) who served in the Brigade of Gurkhas after 1957 and have been declared Crown servants for life….are NOT allowed to wear the PJM.

British citizens who served in HM Forces after 1957 and have been declared Crown servants for life and went on to become dual Australian citizens………are ALLOWED to wear the PJM in their adopted country.

Non-British nationals who served in HM Forces after 1957 and became Crown servants for life……………….are ALLOWED to wear the PJM.

Non-British nationals who served in HM Forces after 1957 and became Crown servants for life, and retired on pension after 22 years service………..are ALLOWED to wear the PJM

British citizens eligible for the PJM irrespective of the fact that they were previously declared Crown servants for life and prohibited from wearing the PJM (this includes civilians, relatives of deceased and those with no other medal) are ALLOWED to wear the PJM but only for a temporary period in 2007 and only if they did so in Malaysia during the Independence 50th. Anniversary celebrations.

Australian nationals eligible for the PJM for service between 1957 and 1966 when their country was still adopting the British honours system (they opted out in 1975) are not affected in any way as the British HD Committee exempted them and adopted the date of acceptance and wear (2005) as the period on which they based their judgement. The same applies to New Zealand but this was not the case for the British.

The HD Committee apparently did not advise Her Majesty of the true facts as listed above and they have even misrepresented the facts about not discriminating against the British citizen in the Commonwealth by stating that Australia and New Zealand had opted out of the British Honours system when in fact they had not during the period they have declared British citizens only of being Crown servants for life.

This is blatant discrimination and it is about time our elected politicians woke up and acknowledge this shameful act against British citizens and worldwide condemnation.

Our legal eagle said -

While we may attribute excessive intellect to the government the attempted extension of the status of Crown servant effectively to include persons after cessation may indicate concern that our interpretation of the 1968 notice (London Gazette) is correct. S205(1)(j) Army Act 1955 subjects retired persons in receipt of pensions from regular service to military law but that does not make them Crown servants.

Post Crown Servants for Life 
If this is the official line by Her Majesty's Government, we are therefore, by dint of reason and service, entitled to a service pension for life. This would be scaled at whatever rank we happend to finish said service. It would also be irrespective of length of service.

By their own standards, (as laid down in the civil service book of hocus pocus,) we are entitled to, having served one day on land, or thirty days at sea, same as the medal ruling, entitled to claim a military pension.

Don't you just love it when a civil serpent shafts himself so much, it brings tears of joy to our eyes. Unfortunately, the tears he sheds, are not concommitant with joy.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Post Crown Servants for life 
Thought you might like to have a look at this little diatribe.

publications.parliament.uk/pa/.../cmselect/cmpubadm/122/122we11.htm

from the book ministers and mandarins by William Plowden

Doesn't get any better.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

On the 4th May 2007 I sent this simple one liner to the MoD, I had no idea which department within MoD to send it to

Good morning

I served in The Royal Air Force for 12 years and was discharged from that Engagement in July 1969 am I still regarded as a CROWN SERVANT or a Servant of The Crown in any capacity?

Thank you

John Cooper

etc etc

The reply I received was thus, I do feel that again Brennan is making it up as he goes along, the bold highlighting is mine to emphasise the main points:

[16th May 2007] IN THE SAME YEAR!

Dear Mr Cooper

Thank you for your enquiry about Crown Service which you directed to my colleagues in the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency. Your message has been passed to the [b]Veterans Policy Unit of the Ministry of Defence and I have been asked to respond

The most concise definition of Crown service I have been able to find is on the HM Revenue & Customs website. It states :-

Generally speaking Crown servants are employees whose-

· Offices or employments are carried out under the Crown,

· Duties of employment are of a public nature, and,

· Salaries are paid out of the public funds of the UK or Northern Ireland.

Examples of offices or employments under the Crown are:

· HM Armed Forces

· Civil Servants

· Diplomats

Using these criteria, whilst you were serving in HM Armed Forces you were considered to be a Crown servant. My understanding is that the definition would cease on your leaving the Forces.

However, when members of the regular Forces leave the Service, they may be liable – for a set number of years – to be called out if they are needed to man or support an operation. During any period of recall, you would again be considered as being in Crown service.

Of course, even after leaving the Forces, you continue to be subject to the provisions of the Official Secrets Act covering any information, document or article which you had or have in your possession by virtue of your Crown service.

If you are unsure whether any subsequent employment you may have had qualifies as Crown service, you should contact HM Revenue & Customs direct.

I hope that this helpful.

[/b]

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1