Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Operations at Sea, Updated.
Post Operations at Sea, Updated. 
Pete Swann - RIP

Terry Revell has informed us of the very sad news that Pete Swann, who sent us the images of his days on HMS Ickford, died in June - from cancer. Pete leaves a widow and two sons and Terry, who served with Pete in the Far East, Middle East and Europe, is now in touch with the family. We hope to hear more soon.

On hearing the news Dick Wyatt, an old shipmate of Pete's, sent us a photograph of himself and Pete on board HMS Ickford. You can see it by visiting the updated Operations at Sea page 1 at http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_navy.htm.

Operations at Sea Page 2

We have now created a second page for our Operations at Sea memories. This page was inspired when we received some excellent images and text from Rod "Banjo" Hinchco who also served on HMS Ickford before joing the New Zealand Navy. He has also sent us a poem. On hearing the news of Pete's death, he wrote to say that he wants his contribution to our Memories page to be dedicated to the memory of Pete.

The new Operations at Sea page 2, and Rod's pictures and poem (which you will find evocative and thought-provoking), cane be seen by visiting http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_navy_2.htm.[/url]

Please visit these pages and, when viewing the images and the text, remember that Pete never lived to wear his PJM with the same honour as his other Commonwealth shipmates - a point that Rod, a Kiwi, says is the reason that he is giving us so much suppport in our campaign. It simply is not right. Never was, never will be - and we're going to have this injustice over-turned.

Post Pete Swann RIP 
Thank you for the posting Barry.

I never knew Pete, but I was certainly aware of the little boats he served on. They were Seaward Defence Boats, of around 150 tons, Crew of about seventeen.

It was one of the boats that I, and my erstwhile colleagues, transferred both victualling and Naval stores to. The Engineering department, supervised the transfer of water and fuel oil. There were the other little ships as well, the ton class minesweepers, which did much the same thing, plus a lot of off shore patrolling.

Manxman, was a forward support ship, in situ to service the little ships, plus it had it's own patrol duties, which seemed to be endless and monotonous.

We embarked tri-service personnel from time to time, to take over to Borneo. I was put ashore for several days, in support of the Royal Australian Engineers, basically to stop them from stealing the stores and trying to sell it back to us - only kidding folks.
Everyone played their part in the conflict and as you say, Pete RIP . You did your bit with honour and commitment.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Post Re: Operations at Sea, Updated. 
BarryF wrote:
Pete Swann - RIP

...................................../Please visit these pages and, when viewing the images and the text, remember that Pete never lived to wear his PJM with the same honour as his other Commonwealth shipmates - a point that Rod, a Kiwi, says is the reason that he is giving us so much suppport in our campaign. It simply is not right. Never was, never will be - and we're going to have this injustice over-turned.

RIP to Pete and condolences to Pete's family, absolutely spot on Barry, well said!

The war, or Police Action, that brought about the award of the PJM by a successful, modern and grateful Commonwealth nation took a long time to resolve. The thing is that ordinary blokes like Pete, and the rest of us actually WON. Now, also like Pete and so many others we are dying without being able to HONOURABLY wear the medal which marks our success. Who is truly responsible for this injustice? Why is the injustice allowed to continue? It is a simple question so why can we not have a simple answer from a government which has just been told that our present day troops might have to die in Afghanistan for another 30 years. We fought and died for almost as long but are now veterans of a "Forgotten" war. Why forgotten? Why so dishonourably consigned to nonentity?

Rest in peace, Pete. You are not forgotten by any of your mates.

Post Ops at Sea updated 
The Ops at Sea pages are attracting a lot of readers.

Also, Dick Wyatt has sent us some more photographs. They are evocative images and are now on the page. The comments make interesting reading too ... including oe from Bill Vernon who served out there between 1964 and 1966.

Read and enjoy: http://www.fight4thepjm.org/memories_navy.htm

Post Lt Spike Milligan 
Having re-read the postings, I noticed the name of Lt Spike Milligan, the fleet gunnery officer. Can anyone tell me if this is Lt Ned Milligan, the red headed Irishman who ended up on the Manxman?

If it was, my first introduction to him, was when he had old cardboard boxes thrown over the side and as they passed down the side of the ship at considerable speed, he was yelling 'kill them, kill them all' as we open fired with stirling smgs.

I have no idea whether I actually hit any of the cardboard boxes, but one has to show willing.

Suffice to say, any CT's would have been safe if I had fired at them. Anyone else would have been in real trouble.

My oppo, SA Chick Henderson, served on the Santon, on loan, and we had a good picture of us both standing on the real Bridge over the river Kwai, when we had a day trip to the War cemetery at Kanchanaburi.

I believe one of the older matelots, found his father's war grave there. So we gave him the space to remember his father and not encroach on his private grief.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Post Re: Lt Spike Milligan 
[quote="Arthur R-S"]Having re-read the postings, I noticed the name of Lt Spike Milligan, ...

I believe one of the older matelots, found his father's war grave there. So we gave him the space to remember his father and not encroach on his private grief.quote]

Wonderful, evocative, memories, Arthur.

Now I begin to understand why, at the age of 16, I tried to do a runner into the RN. This first required a nimble change of gear from woggles (I was a Boy Scout Corder) to my first pair of flares (in the Sea Cadets) and thence to my understanding of the seven creases ...

But it came to nought - or should I say 'naut'. After filling in forms and then a medical on HMS Discovery (I think) which was docked on the Thames, 'they' eventually caught up on me (something to do with my character 'references' blowing the whistle ... or piping me off board). So I had to endure A levels and Uni before I eventually found my land legs in the Parachure Regt and the Intelligence Corps.

But I have never lost my magnet-like pull towards the sea ... and never will.

Barry

Post Magnetic pull 
Barry, the magnetic pull of the sea, was exacerbated by the the Royal Air Force, turning me down.

So, with weary heart and mind, I nipped down to the Royal Navy recruiting office in Reading. There they welcomed me with open arms. Must have been my aftershave, I think.

Maybe the Army's gain was the Navy's loss. Perhaps we will never know.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1