Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
1855 and the 5 Year Rule
Post 1855 and the 5 Year Rule 
I have carried out some research into the 5 year rule including reading a number of papers and FCO Files on the subject.
It would appear that this rule has been around in one form or another since 1855 and was brought in to curb the ambitions of Queen Victoria (1837-1901) who not only awarded medals to other ranks but gave medals to the survivors of the Battle of Trafalgar (1805) and the Battle of Waterloo (1815).
It would appear that the unelected establishment wanted full control; nothing changed there then.
Also this rule was never intended to be used for foreign awards and the only medal I can find were this rule has been used to stop a foreign medal being worn is the PJM.

1855 to 2005 before the rule was used to stop a foreign medal being worn and these unelected Civil Servants clamed at the time that it was a long established rule.
Not only do these people make it up as they go along they break their own rules when it suits them; one example is the A&B Medal awarded to Sir Robin Whatsisname 25years after the event and he wasn’t even there at the time.

Not only should this five year rule have been used against the PJM the Double Medal rule was applied in retrospect and anyhow the PJM is not a double medal.

So this Quango’s rules are discredited when will they admit they got it wrong; my guess is never so it is up to Parliament to make these unelected Civil Servants answerable to the people of this country via our MP’s.

Post 1855 and the 5 year rule 
Ok Paul,

So they have been little bit slow in getting around to that one. Mind you, 150 years is pretty quick for cvil servants, so don't get too excited will you.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Nice to hear from you again. Yes, the civil servants are still at their obfuscation and stretching of the truth and the latest from Gillian Merron MP, PUSS (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State), who has now been replaced by one Chris Bryant MP, is that it is not a matter of legislation but one of etiquette. Now etiquette may be in operation in that big hoose in London and in the corridors of power in Whitehall but tae a wee fella frae Scotland it means nothing to me.
Also Ms Merron said the last decision by The Queen overrules any other previous ‘blanket’ decision ie. the 1968 London Gazette Royal Decree that UK citizens can wear the PJM. I am sure members our democratic parliament, if we had one, would be quite miffed if they found out that certain civil servants were tampering with the Royal prerogative if our suspicions are proven correct that the HD Committee did in fact only recommend that the PJM be accepted and the non-wear rule was added later by them.
We (John Cooper and myself) have been waiting for almost 18 months for the Information Commissioner to give a decision on whether or not we can see the recommendation submitted to Her Majesty’s Private Secretary (not to the Queen direct as they have alleged) but to date they have informed us that they still have not allocated a case worker to our complaint. So the fight goes on.

Nice to be back.

Now you could put me down as an agent provocateur, and correct me if I am wrong, but do not the official edicts emanating from Buck House, appear as entries in the London Gazette, as in the the much beloved 1968 entry.

It is the official organ which lists all current protocols. It then behoves me to submit for your edification, that no other entry was ever made to overide that previous article.

There's a funny smell coming from somewhere, and I think that you all know where from.

GAS! GAS! GAS! Come on wake up at the back there, get your gas respirators on. It looks like it's going to be a substantial one.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Welcome back matey!

Post Welcome back 
Hello John.

Had a visit to Duxford a couple of weeks ago. For my 'fix' as it were. My father's picture is still there, in front of one of his squadron's meteors.

Made me quite nostalgic. Saying that. In the new exhibit at the end, past the American airforce museum, is, surprise surprise, the Royal Anglian Regiment exhibition, and a very lifelike jungle scenario, from the Borneo confrontation.

As part of the exhibit, there is a group of two medals, comprising the General Service medal, with Borneo Clasp, and alongside it, as the other medal in the group, the PJM.

Any thoughts on that one ladies and gentlemen.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

If I manage to get over to Duxford on Remembrance Sunday this year then I will go down to the Royal Anglian Regiments museum and see what it is all about as you probably know the guys always parade there for the Service of Remembrance

Please let me know where the pic is of your father, which hangar [No 3 ??] and in front of which kite, interesting to see a Meatbox at Lowestoft last Thursday, I had the good fortune to work on the last unit in the RAF at Stradishall

Post Re: Welcome back 
Arthur R-S wrote:
Made me quite nostalgic. Saying that. In the new exhibit at the end, past the American airforce museum, is, surprise surprise, the Royal Anglian Regiment exhibition, and a very lifelike jungle scenario, from the Borneo confrontation.

As part of the exhibit, there is a group of two medals, comprising the General Service medal, with Borneo Clasp, and alongside it, as the other medal in the group, the PJM.

Any thoughts on that one ladies and gentlemen.

We have a number of ex-Royal Anglians amongst our supporters. I hope they see your post, Arthur. It will give them the confidence to wear their PJM. It's great to hear that it is being mounted and displayed in its rightful place. That will not be good news to the snooping suits who read this Forum!

Post Royal Anglian Exhibit 
Barry, You would love the exhibition. It covers the entire history of the Regiment to present day. The number of military medals, military crosses, DSO's is staggering. Gave me a feeling of immense pride. Although I never served with them, they are my County Regiment, so in this case I have to a bit partisan and wave the flag for them.

Yours Aye

Arthur R-S

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1