Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Sir Gus O'Donnell
Post Sir Gus O'Donnell 
AKA GOD
The London Gazette Notice clearly states that as long as you are not a Crown Servant when the medal is conferred and it has been accepted you automatically have permission to wear.
Now certain Senior Civil Servants state that the LG Notice does not apply to the PJM because we were Crown Servants when we earned the medal, this is total B/S. Then they state that the LG Notice does not apply to Campaign or Commemorative War Medals, so what the PJM is a Service Medal just ask the Malaysians; and the FCO now agree that it is up to the Malaysians to classify the PJM and not the British Civil Service after all it is their medal.
Many service associations inc the Royal British Legion accept the above so why not the British Civil Service.
Now in an effort to bring the Civil Service into line I have been corresponding with the Head of the Civil Service Sir Gus O’Donnell KCB, I must add that so far it has been a one way communication as he has not answered my emails so I have now sent him a letter by recorded delivery which his office should receive on Monday 8th June 2009.

Copy of My letter to Sir GUS
6th June 2009

Sir Gus O’Donnell KCB
Cabinet Office
70 Whitehall
London
SW1A 2AS

Recorded Delivery

My emails

Sir Gus,

I have sent you two emails and so far no reply, I do understand that there are far more important things going on in the Country today and that you are extremely busy but if you could at least let me know by return that my correspondence has been received and is being dealt with.

I enclose a copy of my emails and I ask the same questions again;

Q1; Do you accept that the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal is a Service Medal?

Q2; Do you accept that the London Gazette Notice 5057 of the 3rd May 1968 applies to Foreign Medals when they were conferred?

If no to any of the above questions could you please explain in full WHY?

The FCO state that it is up to the Malaysians to clarify the PJM as it is their medal and as you will see by the citation the PJM is a Service Medal and nowhere in the FCO files relating to the London Gazette Notice 5057 of the 3rd May 1968 does it excludes Service Medals also these files state that it is when the medal is conferred.

I thank you for your time and look forward to your reply
Kind regards

Paul Alders

Copy of my emails

Sir Gus;
As I stated in my previous email of the 28th May 2009 my questions are either ignored or the question is skirted around so as not to give an answer.
Now I do realize that you are extremely busy and maybe not had the time to answer my questions as yet or you maybe carrying out some research so to help you may I point out that the citation for the PJM clearly states that the PJM is a Service Medal also I have read the FCO Files concerning the London Gazette Notice 5057 more times than I care to remember and nowhere does it excludes Service Medals and these files clearly state that it is when the medal is conferred.
We are more than willing to meet you at your convenience to discuss this issue.
I have pasted a copy of my previous email below.
Many thanks for your time and trouble
Kind regards
Paul

Copy of Previous email

Sir Gus,
Many thanks for your quick response to my complaint I do understand your answer and it was never my intention to have any Civil Servant reprimanded but I am trying to get two points clarified and every time I try I am either ignored or the person I ask skirts around the question also my complaint was never about the decision to wear or not to wear the PJM but more about statements that were intended to mislead even that Ministerial Statement by Ian Person has been withdrawn by him has he now realizes that he was given incorrect information by his Civil Service advisors, unintentionally of course. Ian now campaigns for the PJM to be worn.

Now I have the greatest respect for you so now that I have your direct email address will you be so kind to give me a direct answer to two direct questions.

Q1; Do you accept that the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal is a Service Medal?

Q2; Do you accept that the London Gazette Notice 5057 of the 3rd May 1968 applies to Foreign Medals when they were conferred?

If no to any of the above questions could you please explain in full WHY?

Many thanks for your time and trouble and I do look forward to your answer.

Kind regards
Paul

Sir Gus O’Donnell’s email address is gus.odonnell@cabinet-office.gov.uk

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1