Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Tanya of the FCO
Post Tanya of the FCO 
Dear Paul,

Could let us have a copy of your letter, please? If we have a copy it may help us to trace it.

We have no trace here of having received a letter from Derek Twigg to Meg Munn (we've checked our records and also those in the former Minister's office). I've also asked MOD and they have no trace of it either, neither in the department which deals with honours, nor in Mr Twigg's old office. I've been told that any correspondence such as this would have been treated as between the two MPs, if it arrived shortly after the reshuffle, and forwarded to Ms Munn's constituency office.

Best wishes,

Tanya

Tanya Collingridge
Honours Secretary
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
London SW1A 2PA

I passed this on to Derek Twigg.

Dear Paul

I am perplexed by this, I will look into it and get back to you.

Best wishes

Derek

Post Tanya 
Paul,

I think we have been here before, regarding a letter John C wrote shortly before Chris Edge OBE retired. In reply to a question from John C, I'm almost certain that it was Tanya who replied stating that letters to and from Departmental officers are not saved after a short period once they have left, and would then, firstly be electronically saved, then transferred on to microfiche and subsequently confined to god knows where; probably file thirteen!

It may well be that Derek Twigg's correspondence has been treated in a like (and not inconvenient) manner. No record - no argument, however.................................................!!!!!!!!!!!!! they will learn (perhaps).

I'm sorry that I cannot be more specific (I did have a quick try, honestly).

Regards

David

I requested information from the FCO under The Data Protection Act 1998 of all the files that the FCO had on me, from the same lady in question I had the reply that they did not hold any information on me or copies of any correspondence.........

..........I do not want to go into any further details at the moment as there is an Inquiry into this subject in progress, I have been told it will be several months before I hear the outcome, OK I waited 12 months for the last one, I'm fairly patient but I do have to keep harrying those involved........

We are talking here of a letter sent from one Minister to another in suport of the PJM but was never received according to the FCO?

Post Shanghied Correspondence 
Yes agreed, from MP to MP.

On one occasion I wrote to HM and received a reply from Her correspondence secretary who advised me that HM had noted the contents of the correspondence and had commanded it to be sent to Rt Hon Margaret MP Beckett for her attention, from whom I have never received a reply, even on her behalf. Did she receive it or was it shanghied by her staff?

As for another letter I wrote to HM, I received a reply, on unsigned palace paper, to say that it had been passed to MoD, and I eventually received a reply from your friend and mine, RTC. Why it should have gone to MOD instead of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is a matter, I would think, for someone on the Palace staff to answer, whomsoever that might be.

If letters, directed by HM to specific persons or Departments can remain unanswered, answered by a Department who continually informed us (me) that it was not in the remit of MOD but the FCO, or simply disappear in the system, letters from one MP to another MP could have been handled in a similar, cavalier manner, mislaid, accidently disposed of or, perhaps, still awaiting action under a pile of other documents. OK, I'm a cynic!

We have all had letters go missing and or unanswered but this time we have a MP
(ex Minister) Looking into it.
I do not think that Derek Twigg will let this go.

I am sure that you are absolutely right, considering the meeting with him and his support he gave as a Minister, within his remit, as Veterans Minister, for which I, and I believe others too, are grateful. I wish him success in his endeavours to discover the whereabouts, or reasons for it being mislaid, of his correspondence.

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1