Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Deleted because subject doubled on another thread
Post Medals for 50 quid... 
Having been told by a little bird, of a recent article in the Daily Mirror...I have submitted the following....somebody tell me if I make it into print?

Dear SIr,

With reference to your recent article "Medals for 50 quid". There is surely a delicious irony here?...On one hand we have soldiers discarding their decorations as 'worthless' because they represent the illegal actions of 'an oil greedy nation'...on the other hand the same government issuing those Iraq medals has decided to deny 35000 Malaya/Borneo veterans (all now in their 60's & 70's) the right to wear the medal that a grateful Malaysian nation has bestowed upon them.

I should add that the conflicts in which these veterans served represent the most successful defence against communist terrorism in all of South East Asia....they actually WON, unlike the Americans in Viet Nam...but now their nation would deny them the little bit of pride they might derive from wearing their Pingat Jasa Malaysia in a Remembrance Day parade.

I leave you to judge which of the two circumstances makes for the greater insult.

'Jock' Fenton

Post Re: Medals for 50 quid... 
'Jock' Fenton wrote:
Having been told by a little bird, of a recent article in the Daily Mirror...I have submitted the following....somebody tell me if I make it into print?

You just did, Jock. In print. And rightly so.

I am well miffed by the deeply disquietening attitude of HMG and the HE [sic] Committee. We take nothing away from our mates who served, and are serving in Iraq. But I remember those who came back from another war and, having been dumped on by the Government that sent them off to do their dirty work, pawned their medals because they could no longer afford food.

On Remembrance Day those veterans pinned their pawn tickets to their jackets in place of the medals that they had had to give up to feed their families.

Nothing changes with these cowardly and devious bar stewards, does it.

Wahooo!.... Buoyed by that success, I think I shall start in on that great Canadian novel I've been threatening to write for the past 50 years!

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1