Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
The "absurdity" of it all ...
Post The "absurdity" of it all ... 
We've been saying, MPs have been saying, that it is absurd that a medal that has been conferred should not be worn.

Actually, we were not the first (and won't be the last) to refer to " ... the absurdity of allowing a man to accept a foreign decoration, but not to wear it."

When will these people listen and join the rest of the world in the 21st Century?

Post NOT JUST ABSURDITY; DOWNRIGHT CRIMINAL 
Barry,

http://fight4thepjm.org/documents/Library_3.jpg 24/02/2007 refers:

House of Commons Library - PJM -Standard Note: SN/A/3914
last updated : 10 Febreuary 2006
Author : Claire Taylor
International Affairs and Defence Section (note "Defence Section and not FCO)!

PART B (page 3)

"However, unrestricted permission will only be considered for foreign awards conferred for services under the following:

1.Blah Blah...............................

2.By any member of the UK Armed Forces or other UK official on exchange, loan or attachment to a foreign state who is involved in a military operation or emergency on behalf of that state.

3. By any member of the UK Armed Forces serving in a UK unit with a by-lateral force under the command of another country who renders special service to the country's forces in a military operation or emergency.

What could be more clear! Part B also includes specific rules on Unrestricted wear, or Restricted wear; absolutely nothing on "can be accepted but permission to formally wear will not be given - a caveat against their own HDC rules! Nought about campaign or commemorative medals - just awards.

After which, comes PART C, written to specifically preclude the PJM from being worn; para 2 and 3 above are in the 'revised 2005 rules' placed in the House of Commons Library.

Regards,

David

Post Re: The "absurdity" of it all ... 
BarryF wrote:
We've been saying, MPs have been saying, that it is absurd that a medal that has been conferred should not be worn.

Actually, we were not the first (and won't be the last) to refer to " ... the absurdity of allowing a man to accept a foreign decoration, but not to wear it."

When will these people listen and join the rest of the world in the 21st Century?

.....a copy of this document would be a very good thing to attach to any letter being sent by a Fight4 supporter when writing to his/her MP [b](attributing it of course, to the National Archives)....It clearly highlights the anomalous nature of the HD Committee's decision.[/b]

I have sent copies of all the TNA pages to Peter Duckers - he who tours around giving lectures on medals and who offered to attend any meetings with ministers on our befalf. He is an expert in the field of British Campaign Medals and on many aspects of the British awards system and has written many many books on the subject. I have pointed out that all the copies are TNA carry the copywrite. I have had many conversations with him, and he holds the same opinion as we do regarding this nonesense. I would imagine he may use some of the information (in a sensible manner) to emphasise some points within in presentations in the future.

I suspect he may find the content very interesting.

Tony

Bravo Kentsboro....Well done.....I hope that many more of our comrades will emulate you...

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1