Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Has our Lapel Pin been hijacked?
Post Has our Lapel Pin been hijacked? 
Latest news! We hear that our Lapel Pin is being sold to veterans by a commercial organisation (i.e. not ourselves and not an NMBVA Branch) at a high price - with loaded Post and Packing costs! Our lawyers are looking into this because we don't want any profiteering via the product we created.

Anyone not buying from us, or from an NMBVA Branch to whom we have supplied lapel badges, is being ripped off!

We had ceased manufacturing the badges. The costs of manufacture/P&P to date have been subsidised by Fight4thePJM. While this is being sorted out, we'll now continue to provide our Fight4thePJM Lapel Badge on the basis of our no-profit policy, i.e. at a cost of only £2.50 each plus P&P. Our price will always be lower than any commercial profit-making company ... that we guarantee. And you can be sure you are buying the real thing!

And so we shall continue to offer you the opportunity to purchase one of our original enamel Lapel Pins. Orders will be met on a first come, first served. If you want a genuine Fight4thePJM Lapel Pin, go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/fight4thepjm_lapel_pin.htm.

Remember, "Pingat Kami - Hak Kami" is the motto of those who support the campaign for the right to wear the PJM. We created those words for ex-ervicemen and women. We do not want others to profit from them for purely commercial gain! Support us and the campaign by buying your badge from your local NMBVA Branch or from us.

Thanks for your support.

Last edited by BarryF on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

You are right John, it's certainly 'not cricket'...it is in fact a slimy, dirty, scummy, underhanded, stab-in-the-back attempt to ride on other veterans coat tails....and for such a picayune profit too.....such people should be heartily ashamed of themselves.

Impersonation is the sincerest form of flattery.
We should ask this bunch of pirates to make a donation to the Ghurkha Welfare Fund.

At the risk of appearing pedantic Paul....I think that 'Imitation' is defined as 'the sincerest form of flattery'.

Impersonation is defined as "Assuming the character or appearance of, especially fraudulently"

ergo...it'd appear that we, the originators and designers of the Badge, have been simultaneously flattered and defrauded?

As the fight4thepPJM organisation designed and had this lapel badge manufactured for our own distribution, I have to ask a question.

Do the people that place orders for this unauthorised Lapel Badge for themselves, have permission to wear the said unauthorised Lapel Badge?

Post Copy Lapel Badge. 
When I first saw the post by Norman on the nmbva site I checked the goldwirebadge site but could find no trace whatsoever of a PJM lapel badge. I then phoned the goldwirebadge company and spoke to a woman. I asked about the PJM lapel badge and she confirmed that they had some for sale. I said I could not see it referred to anywhere on their website and she told me that it was not on their site. When I asked her if it was identical to the PJM lapel badge issued previously by the fight4thepjm association she said it had Veteran on the top, the PJM medal in the middle and Pingat Kami Hak Kami on the bottom on a scroll but then she immediately put me on to a man who told me that his lapel badge was identical to the one produced by the fight4thepjm association.

I find the whole thing somewhat curious and distasteful.

Post Hijacked lapel badge 
The carpet baggers will always be with us I'm afraid. One thing that might have escaped their attention though, they have missed out on the opportunity of flogging knighthoods and peerages.

Yours aye

Arthur

Post The Fight4thePJM Lapel Pin. A Final Postscript 
I have just posted this message on the NMBVA Discussion Forum:

I am one of those engaged in leading the campaign for the Fight4thePJM and I was involved in the design of our Lapel Badge and our motto, “Pingat Kami - Hak Kami”, and I was also involved in the arrangements for its manufacture. We conferred with our Malaysian friends (some in high places) to ensure that our badge was courteous to them both in design and language. They tell us they think highly of it and its meaning and its objectives (to promote support for the campaign for British citizens to wear their medal). I mention this only to fully declare my interest in this matter.

The Fight4thePJM team not only will not profit from veterans via the sale of anything including the Lapel Pin, but I can confirm that every single penny paid for the Lapel Pin goes to service organisations and other causes. In other words, we do not retain any of the monies from Lapel Pin sales, funding the whole of the costs ourselves (ourselves being the lead team – Fight4thePJM does not levy membership fees and is free from any political or organisational affiliations).

Here are just two examples of how we use the money from the sale of Fight4thePJM Lapel Pins. First Service connections: Norman knows that we made a substantial contribution to his fund raising for the Gurkha Welfare Trust – we have also contributed to other associations connected with Malaysia/Borneo. Second Conservation connections: We contribute to the World Wildlife Fund's vital work in the jungles of Borneo and have also “adopted” Koyah, a young Orang-Utang who lives in Borneo (read all about Koyah and her mum at www.fight4thePJM.org/home.htm).

And there is much more. We have not publicised these activities before for obvious reasons - and we're not in the business of 'gong chasing’ for the little that we do, which is why we always act anonymously. It was only after very careful thought that I decided to talk about these issues. I thought those who sell ‘unauthorised’ replicas of the Fight4thePJM Lapel Pin for their own profit, and those who buy the Lapel Pin from such people, should understand the effect of their actions - i.e. every replica bought from a profit-making commercial company takes money away from those causes.

It is your decision of course.

Meanwhile, I hope we can now put this matter behind us - there are already enough divisive pressures on Malaya-Borneo Veterans. We don't need another.

Thank you,

Barry

PS We may have no alternative but to challenge the legitimacy of the sale of these 'replicas'. Enterprise is one thing, but taking without asking somebody else's original product and original motto words that they have worked hard to produce (and have funded) is a particularly unpleasant face of capitalism.

PPS So long as there is a demand we shall continue to offer the lapel pin for sale at www.fight4thepjm.org, and we will continue to do so on our non-profit basis. We will not be party to anyone profiting from ex-servicemen and women and so will always ensure the price you pay is lower than anywhere else. Why be ripped off with a replica? Buy the real thing from Fight4thePJM or your NMBVA Branch and benefit worthwhile causes. There’s a link to the F4 Lapel Pin shop on the Home Page (click on HOME, top left, then move down the Home page until you see a picture of the badge) or go to http://www.fight4thepjm.org/fight4thepjm_lapel_pin.htm.

I once had a photo hijacked from my political web site which I had taken, by the Daily Telegraph.

I contacted them about copyright and the editor apologised, said that their rate was £100 and who would I like it made payable to. I said Calne Branch Royal British Legion to which he replied, as it was for such a good cause and not for personal gain he would double that, he sent me a cheque for £200 made out to the British Legion.

Copyright is such a mavellous thing!

John

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1