Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
RAF WW2 Pilot and HMG
Post RAF WW2 Pilot and HMG 
From another List....

I visit an old 87 year old British ex RAF hurricane and spitfire pilot ( DFC) in an Age Care Facility here. He is an amazing chap with a wonderful history of service to King, Country and Commonwealth. I am so proud of him and I get a real buzz when he refers to me as his friend. He was sunk twice when being transported on troopships and after the war he was in the Malaysian Special Branch during the emergency there. He then went on and served in the Canadian Air Force before coming to Australia, He even worked alongside John Howard when he was a young lawyer in Sydney.

I asked him about his British State pension and back came the reply “ Not entitled to one old chap” He apparently signed up in the RAFVR as a licensed pilot in Malaysia before the war and all during the war he served with Malaysian arm patches on his uniform. Recently he wrote to the British Government and asked them for the Atlantic medal, they refused and said as he was only a passenger on the troopship he was not entitled to one! He spent 13 days in a P and O lifeboat in the Atlantic and received nothing. What an amazing bloke, this medal is more important to him than the British State pension! Do you think I should write to the British High Commissioner and ask her to give him an OBE or if this is not allowed could she possibly pop in and visit him on her next drive from Canberra toMelbourne! Should I mention that he is an old work colleague of John Howard?

Post .. 

Last edited by ro5=6372 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
It really saddens me to hear of such injustice in our so called enlightened society. Last year at our local (Mudjimba) ANZAC parade, the master of ceremonies at the conclusion of the official service explained to the large community gathering the relevance of the medals that the veterans were wearing. He went on to say to the children that they may wish to approach the veterans, shake their hand and say thank you. It certainly brought a lump to the throat when literally dozens of children did this and even more surprising was the number of parents that did it too.
The point is!! Chidren, young adults and the general community are quick to understand the role and sacrifices that servicemen (and Women) have played over the years in protecting the free world. How is it then that public servants and government leaders cannot understand these concepts and are prepared to squander those virtues that were fought for.
If the PJM campaign has to go on then so be it because support for it will only grow. I applaude those in the forefront of the campaign for the amount of work they are putting in and also to the 1000+ registered supporters who are behind the campaign.
We shall not be defeated.

Ivor Rich ex RN Malay/Borneo veteran 63/65

Post Replying to Ivor 
albeit late...........Ivor I am a ex Royal Marine ...Gunnery instructor.!!! at Whale Is. back in 1953.

Reading about your ANZAC parade and the master of ceremonies telling the children to approach veterans.
I went to KL in August/September 07 to recieve my Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal.
The Merderka parade on the 31.08.07 was "out of this world." The NewZealanders marched behind NM&BVA from the UK.

At the end of the parade of over 50.000 we were inundated with Malaysians all wanting to photograph us or to be photographed with us....Young people thanking us for what we had done all those dark years ago.
I have a photo of myself with a very young Muslim beautiful girl. She came over to me with her 3 friends and said.....We want to thank you for saving Malyasia.

The lady military doctor[a captain] attached to us told me how proud she was to be part of Malaysias' history. I am living in our history she repeted. Faira was of the Muslim faith.

Please pull those pins out of my a***

Terry.........GSM..PJM Kuching Borneo 62/64.

Will wear it when ever I please and with pride.
Having been on that parade in KL I Have tears of pride as I remember all those handshakes and photos, so many young people wanting to say thank you to us.
Paul

Last edited by StanW on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
That is not the only case of a VC being awarded on the recommendation of the enemy; the attack on some docks in France in which a ship rammed some dock gates. A man was awarded a VC who died of his wounds on the recommendation of a German Officer.
I cannot remember the full details (old age creeping in) but I know someone out there will fill in the details.

Sergeant Thomas Frank Durrant, RE
Sergeant Durrant, attached to No.1 Commando, was in the Royal Engineers. On 27th March 1942 at St Nazaire he was in charge of a Lewis gun on HM Motor Launch 306 which came under heavy fire during the raid, and although he had no protection and was wounded in several places he continued to fire until the launch was boarded and the survivors were taken prisoner. He died of his wounds the next day

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1