Image of the PJM Medal
Banner Text = Fight For the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia Medal
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
PJM Process
Post PJM Process 
Does anyone know what the process is once the application form has been sent i.e. to the MBVA secretary. Do we have to wait for confirmation by MOD of our service details, because recent correspondence would indicate that many records, at least from the Royal Navy, have been lost or destroyed. My own experience is that it has taken almost twelve months to confirm my service details when requested by the department of veterans affairs in Australia for pension purposes. If that is an example of what priority the MOD give to us then we are in for a long long wait. I get the feeling they have us by the short and curly's.

Ivor Rich, Ex RN, Malay/Borneo Veteran 63/65

Post Re: PJM Process 
IvorJ wrote:
Does anyone know what the process is once the application form has been sent i.e. to the MBVA secretary. Do we have to wait for confirmation by MOD of our service details, because recent correspondence would indicate that many records, at least from the Royal Navy, have been lost or destroyed. My own experience is that it has taken almost twelve months to confirm my service details when requested by the department of veterans affairs in Australia for pension purposes. If that is an example of what priority the MOD give to us then we are in for a long long wait. I get the feeling they have us by the short and curly's.

Ivor Rich, Ex RN, Malay/Borneo Veteran 63/65

Hi Ivor...

My understanding of the process (as supplied by Fred Burden of the NMBVA) is that:

1...Application forms will be 'collected and collated' by veterans organizations:
2...Collected forms will then be forwarded, in batches. to the MoD:
3...Mod will verify the eligibility of the applicant:
4...MoD will then forward eligible listing to Malaysian High Commission:
5...Malaysian High Commission will arrange for distribution of medals.

...as I have previously noted on another thread...my feeling is that the MoD will prove to be the slowest link in this chain...the process will take a great deal of time to finalize...Don't rush to book a hall for the celebration just yet! OK?

'Jock'.

Post PJMedal 
G'day guys.

I notice that other ex matelots have run into the same sort of problem that I have encountered in the last week.

I had lost my service documents sometime ago and applied for a copy of them, this was a few years ago I must admit, however the MOD. sent me a reply saying that they didn't furnish complete copies of RN documents, that had been lost or misplaced, however they sent me a letter instead with the MOD heading and my Name, joining date, demob date, stated that I had been awarded a "Hurt Certificate", during my service.

They then stated that they did not keep records of the ships that I had been on, and were unable to furnish this, however if future employers wanted to know anything else about my service (my brilliant career lol.) Cool in the RN. they should contact the-MOD. in the UK. who would oblige me by furnishing the employer anything that they wanted to know, !! BIG DEAL Shocked It was me who wanted to have a record of my time in the "Andrew"
Can you imagine any employer in Australia, phoning the MOD, or sending to UK to find out anything about an ex-service man Question Question Not B****** likely.

The "original documents", that I received when I was demobbed from HMS Victory, didn't say where we served, or where the ships were during a commission, so I don't think that we have much chance of getting this information.

I sent my "Wee Piece of Paper", in lue of my service documents, to the guy who is dealing with this in QLD/NSW area, he lives in "Cooloongatta", unfortunately he replied that this was of no use, as it didn't state that I had served in this area during the time, I was on "HMS Salisbury", and in "HMS Terror" during most of 1960. Even the local Borneo/Malay assco. remembered my ship serving in "Singapore"/ "Malaya", when I first applied to joined the assoc. He has told me that It doesn't accept this type of service documents, and that I must write to the MOD, and "WAIT" Mad on them sending me these details. If they take as long to send me these, as they did to send me a wee piece of paper, then I shall probably just ask my wife to pin it to my coffin when they plant me in a few years Confused

Or are they really trying to frustrate us enough, so that we tell them what they can do with their services, and for the complete lack of professionalism that they are showing to us ex-service people.

One good point though, some-one is on the ball, I did receive my lapel badge from the member who is looking after these for the Queenslanders, he lives in "Townsville", and I received this by return of mail, and "he" accepted a Photostat copy of "The proverbial wee piece of paper". lol. Very Happy

Do we indeed, have to apply to the MOD, in the UK, for a full and updated copy of our service documents, or do we need to just go ahead and buy our own Confused I do know that information on ships and other service details haven't been kept by the RN, and it has been stated that many log books of ships have been destroyed and no records have been kept, so some matelots are going to be very disappointed.

regards idris welch.

PS. keep the fight going.

Post EX Vets Ex Pats 
Try the Veterans Agency to obtain information even if they cannot help they should point you in the right direction, I hope?

Veterans' Agency FREEFONE Helpline: 0800 1692277

Textphone: 0800 1693458

Overseas Telephone Number: +44 1253 866043

Open from 0815-1715hrs (Mon- Thur) and 0815-1630hrs (Fri)

Post PJM Process 
Interesting to note, that it is assumed, that those with a GSM will have their paperwork pushed through before non GSM holders.

Call me foolish if you will, but doesn't that sound a lot like 'double medalling' being prioritised. The very thing that MOD and the HAD Committee have been very careful to ensure doesn't happen.

I'm off to see my psychiatrist now, in the vain hope that he will explain this one to me.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Arthur....you are 'right on the money'....I fully agree with your assessment of the situation and with the implications thereof.

By the way....I do hope your 'shrink' will be able to resolve your difficulties!

Post PJM PROCESS 
Hello Jock,

I'm totally beyond any help old mate. Even my wife says so.

Here! Just a minute. What am I saying. I am a shrink.

Yours Aye

Arthur

Post Re: PJMedal 
Idris D Welch wrote:

One good point though, some-one is on the ball, I did receive my lapel badge from the member who is looking after these for the Queenslanders, he lives in "Townsville", and I received this by return of mail, and "he" accepted a Photostat copy of "The proverbial wee piece of paper". lol. Very Happy

It was good enough for me. I carried out all the required checks, and issued you with the Lapel Badge.

I do hope that you get your PJM.

When or if, I get my PJM, I have been thinking of applying to the MoD and FCO for a further clasp to my GSM. The clasp to have the intials PJM on it. By then I am sure we all will have earned another GSM from the MoD and FCO.

"He who lives in Townsville."

Post PJM process 
Slightly off topic ! but i tried to help an 81 year old vet who put his application form in 12 months ago,by putting the HMC phone number on the NMBVA website. Annie from the NMBVA told me that they had an agreement with HMC not to publish their phone number, as they quite rightly would get swamped by frustrated vets wanting to know where there PJM`s are. I understand that the main reason for the delay is because the MOD held on to the application forms until June 06 before passing a batch of 8000 forms to HMC to process. Now it seems HMC are just picking forms out of any boxes not in date order.
I and other vets have found out that if you phone up the HMC they will pick out your form,check the date and if it goes back some 12 months they will process your PJM within 28 days. However i have promised Annie at the NMBVA that i will not publish the guys number at the MHC who is processing the postal PJM`s. But i am sure that there are a lot of vets who have got the number.

Jimbo
Ex RN

These explains a lot. I am the daughter of a serviceman, an Army brat from the 50's and 60's if you like.
My father sent his application off soon after 2005 when he found out about the Pingat Jasa by chance due to him being a keen Military badge collector and subscribes to militaria collector magazines.
It would have been nice if there had been at least an acknowledgement that his application form had been received.
I do hope that he receives his medal before he passes on. At 77 he has failing health and is gradually losing his sight and I suspect many ex-servicemen are in the same situation with deteriorating health.
I had thought of purchasing a medal from eBay. It wouldn't be the real thing but would make him a bit happier. What does anyone think about these copies?

I had thought of purchasing a medal from eBay. It wouldn't be the real thing but would make him a bit happier. What does anyone think about these copies?[/quote]

The PJM on my medal bar is a replica. My original I have left untouched in it's presentation case.
There is a link on the NMBVA website to an Australian Medal site where I bought my replica. It came within a couple of days and is perfect as far as I can see. However, it does not of course come, with the presentation box.
Also on the NMBVA website in the forum section, someone has issued a number for contact with the Malaysian High Commission and the name of who to talk to. Apparently after the contact medals have come through the post within a couple of days.

Owen

I had thought of purchasing a medal from eBay. It wouldn't be the real thing but would make him a bit happier. What does anyone think about these copies?[/quote]

Greenfly, Sorry about my last post, I was just being lazy. The Oz website for replica medals is www.heritagemedals.com.au I also sent for a medal box from them and received it in a week.
The tel. no. I have retrieved off the NMBVA for the Malaysian High Commission is 02079190274 and apparently you ask for Mr Jafar. I am sure that if you explain your Dad's plight he will expidite matters. However, I have not phoned him myself.

Owen

These explains a lot. I am the daughter of a serviceman, an Army brat from the 50's and 60's if you like.
My father sent his application off soon after 2005 when he found out about the Pingat Jasa by chance due to him being a keen Military badge collector and subscribes to militaria collector magazines.
It would have been nice if there had been at least an acknowledgement that his application form had been received.
I do hope that he receives his medal before he passes on. At 77 he has failing health and is gradually losing his sight and I suspect many ex-servicemen are in the same situation with deteriorating health.
I had thought of purchasing a medal from eBay. It wouldn't be the real thing but would make him a bit happier. What does anyone think about these copies?

Greenfly

Welcome to the forum Very Happy

I have sent you a Personal Message (PM) if you check your Inbox, best of luck............

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1